Aircon Sensor | FerrariChat

Aircon Sensor

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by miketarrant, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketarrant

miketarrant Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    A some point prior to my acquiring my 2012 Cali, the small grill that covers the Aircon sensor under the dash between the steering column and the center has been lost. I am going to fabricate one myself but would appreciate if someone could post or PM me a photo of what the grill actually looks like.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    mike, if you photograph the area where you are missing the part, people will better understand where to look.

You may also be able to buy the part. It shouldn't cost much and unless you enjoy making a replacement, I think having the original item would be preferable if and when you decide to sell your car.

3. miketarrant

miketarrant Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    #3 miketarrant, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The location is just under the dash to the right of the steering column. (Left in my case as the cars is RHD) . I think you have buy the complete sensor to get the cover.

Photo shows the sensor hole where the cover should be. The black part on the right is the lower steering column cover
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Apr 22, 2017
    mike, your photo is taken well but for this task you should really show the general area and not the internal details of the sensor. It took me a few minutes but I located the sensor in my car. In part, it was harder to find it because the sensor cover is colour-matched to the leather.

You're right about the cover being only sold with the sensor, but the cover is colour-matched so you are unlikely to reproduce it properly and the whole kit with the sensor is just $58 USD. As you are probably in the UK, you can get it from Scuderia UK. Here's the link to the part: Ferrari California Outer Temperature Sensor - Part Number:236847. Actually, I believe it measures the INTERNAL temperature so the title description of the part on Scuderia's webpage is not correct. However, Scuderia will need your car's VIN to verify the part is appropriate for your car.

Rarely-ordered parts from Ferrari usually take at least several weeks if not 2-3 months.

5. miketarrant

miketarrant Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks for the info and picture Michael. I am in fact in New Zealand with the only Ferrari Dealer 400 miles away. I doubt the part will be that price here. Also, as you can see my leather is red so might be hard to get the match.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Red's a pretty popular Ferrari interior colour so they probably have it. I think you should use the correct part or your Ferrari will start to look compromised. High end cars need to use proper parts or else they can easily come across looking tacky. Actually 400 miles is not bad compared to some Canadian and US locations.

As for shipping, don't worry they would be happy to ship to New Zealand and it is a small kit after all. They have locations in the US as well. If you order from the US, there's also Ricambi USA.

BTW, it looks like the sensor is used in many current Fcars.

The parts diagram for the 458 Spider actually shows the cover grill as a separate part but does not show it on its list.

However, the cover grill is listed in the 458 Italia's parts list. This version appears to be leather.

Who knows if the the 458 cover grill fits the Cali although I suspect it does because Ferrari would be wise to use the same, normally expensive, mold for the plastic part if only to avoid a completely unnecessary expense, and just cover it with leather for the 458.

If your Kiwi dealer is decent you should be able to have these questions properly answered if you call and speak with them.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 4th_gear, Apr 24, 2017