satellite radio | FerrariChat

satellite radio

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by doccharlie954, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Anybody have any problems with the satellite radio reception. No sense spending money if it does not work properly. 2016 cali. Thanks

2. jerryw

jerryw Karting

May 18, 2009
    After two failed attempt to fix mine (2015 Cali T) they finally put in an antenna from a Maserati. They tell me it works better but I have not turned the service back on.

3. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    My reception in the 488 is terrible as well, whereas in my Porsche and BMW it's perfect so it's not location based. Thankfully I think it's a standard option now so no extra $ spent although I'm sure it's built into the MSRP..lol

4. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Mine works well.
    No issues.
    2016 Cali.

5. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Mine works poorly. I had the antennae replaced under warranty, and it worked better for a short while, then back to the poor performance (cut out for no reason, take a long time to reconnect, etc...)

I gave up and now listen Slacker on my phone connected via bluetooth to the stock head unit. Works 100% better!!!

6. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 2017 has no issues.

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Spoke 2 soon. Works great in the city but on the highway with no tunnels it cuts in and out. Will take it to the dealer when I get a chance.

8. cdvalent

cdvalent Rookie

May 3, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The SAT radio has never worked well on my 2014 Cali 30. It cuts out under numerous wide open skies where I live, but works fine near the dealership. I remarked on this to the dealer service guys on each visit, and they had nothing to offer. Still don't.

(Yes, I know some will joke "the car has a radio?", but that's not the point. It should work, even if the driver doesn't care to use it)

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My 10 & 12 both had issues. It went away for a year or more then came back and I had to assume that XM added to then reduced satellite power during that period. The '16 works perfect.

10. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Rick, My 2017 works great in the downtown area of Chicago but get it on the open road highway it cuts out. Odd.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Most likely the antennas are mis-installed/defective. At 2.3 ghz these have to be designed, assembled and mounted correctly to work well.

I suspect Ferrari did not QA processes around antenna validation in the early years and sent out many defective installations. I had a 2010 Cali that I had serviced and the antenna replaced. Then it was fine.

SV

12. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My 2012 Cali has issues - rain/shine/perfect out. My 2010 458 is perfect everyday - it must be a Cali specific issue (IMO)

Erik

13. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I failed to mention, the 2016 T of mine has an external antenna, problem solved. The older Cali's had some sort of internal antenna that sucks.