Pictures of My Recalcitrant Roof | FerrariChat

Pictures of My Recalcitrant Roof

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wrs, Jun 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #1 wrs, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Went ahead and gave it a try after driving a while with the top up. Opened fine, went for a short spin and when I parked in the drive, tried to close it and it got stuck with the trunk open. From that position it would reopen. Tried to close it twice, went to the same position. Then I thought hey what if I retract the mirrors. That got the trunk to close. Here are some pictures to document the problem. The tech asked for them but I thought I would share them here. Possibly someone else has seen it or will some day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #2 wrs, Jun 3, 2017
  3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sorry, not quite understanding. Trunk gets stuck at the position in pic 2 or trunk does not latch closed?

I found that leaving the top in an open position as in pics 3 - 7 would always result in an overheat error message in my 2010 Cali.

But a trunk that does not latch closed at the end of the cycle is an easy fix.

SV

4. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I've had this too...resetting with the key helped and making sure nothing is in the way.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for posting the photos of your malfunctioning roof. I think all of us would like to figure out and help you fix what is ailing your roof mechanism. It looks like your roof stops closing at a late stage in its movement when the rear window panel is still positioned at some aspect of its folded position. In the first set of photos, the trunk cover is also about to close and in the later set, the trunk cover has already closed (and probably latched).

You can certainly interpret this behaviour as positional with maybe a problem associated with the rear window panel position, some sensor or you can interpret this behaviour as temporal, relating to time as with the amount of time the mechanism has been operating. If it's temporal, the electrical system may be failing to supply adequate current (or voltage) at some point in the roof's movement. Low voltage can cause the pump to overheat and trigger a sensor (which stops the mechanism) depending on how sensitive a (presumed) temperature sensor is set. If this is true, the most likely (though not the only) culprit would be the battery. It does take 14-15 seconds to operate the roof. This theoretical sequence does jive with the "system overheating" reported by your car.

BTW, be very careful if the rear window panel is left frozen in an elevated, unlocked, position suspended above the solid roof panel. The master mechanic at my dealer told me the hydraulic pump will not be able to maintain a static position and the hydraulic fluid will eventually bleed (past the valve) and the roof panel can plop back down with a crash. This will likely cause the panel to travel past its normal resting position due to momentum and elasticity in the mechanism. Over-travel will cause dents on the metal roof panel from the forward latches under the rear window panel.

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    How does reset with the key work?

7. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

Roof Failure
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcavalie View Post
    Keith and ferrarichat to the rescue! I love this community and thanks so much for posting this tip! My roof is now working fine.

Here's what I did: I tried holding the trunk open and door open buttons on the fob for 5s, and nothing happened. Then I started fiddling. I then held the door open button on the fob for 5s and that was the magic. After 5s, it appears the computer reset the locking mechanisms. The fob would then open the trunk. I confirmed nothing was in the way, closed the trunk, and tried to raise the top normally and it worked fine (with the windows going down first, as they should).

Thank you thank you thank you!

Keith - you are the man! I had the exact same problem. I held various buttons on the fob down for 5s and it works. The system reset and the trunk opened. Thanks again for posting!

8. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

Not sure if it'll work for you but good luck!

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's certainly worth a try and perhaps the dealer should provide more information on the procedure. There should be a proper troubleshooting checklist from the factory for handling roof problems and the key fob procedure should be on that list. Owners should not have to experiment for fixes.

It seems to me there is a lack of organization that should be coming from the dealer and the factory. Why should owners have to reinvent the wheel every time something like this happens???

It would be interesting to see if the factory continues to use a similar folding hardtop in the CaliT replacement car.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #10 wrs, Jun 4, 2017
    So I think I have figured out the problem. I have several ways to address it but in the end, it amounts to the caps that cover the window arm I believe. The one on the left side is not spring loaded and so it's not flexing to the correct position all the time. What that does is keep the rear windows from closing automatically in the process on the way up. If I use the window buttons to close them, voila, the roof goes up fine. Taking the roof down is only a problem if there is a roof failure error.

So we went for a nice Sunday morning drive out to Bee Caves and had croissants and coffee at Baguette and Chocolate. I put the top up successfully when we got there and took it back down when we left. So I think I know what to tell the service guy. The cover on the right is clearly spring loaded, the one on the left seems to be out of alignment and the spring doesn't seem to be working but it does close properly and open properly. It's just in the halfway point that the spring needs to be working I think. The pictures here show how each side is different.

Battery Voltage is 14V so this isn't a battery problem. Anyway, I am happy that I have found the workaround until they can get it fixed. Looks to me like it's going to be involved to get that cap off and put one on that has a good spring. But that's not my expense although I will probably be without the car a few more days is my guess.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I hope your intuition is right. I know how frustrating a malfunctioning top can be. Its a big reason I sold my 355

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 4th_gear, Jun 4, 2017
    William, I think you may have identified a real issue and hopefully it is the only one causing your roof problems.

Assuming your photos of the caps were taken with the roof in the same position then there's definitely a difference between the positions of the 2 caps. I have attached photos showing the caps fully-opened on my Cali30, where my roof differs slightly from your CaliT.

FWIW, I have watched the caps operate when the roof is raised and the caps will start to fold back in as soon as the rear window panel is raised from its position above the metal roof panel half-way through the roof-raising operation.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the pictures Michael, I think that lends credence to my observation. I hope it's the issue because I would rather solve it than have this drag out.

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Maybe remove the offending cap and see if the roof works properly for a while? My experience with the dealer on roof issues seems to be they will just cycle it a few times and sign off on it if it doesn't fail but having it out in the real world will tell the true story.

The good news for you -- if there is good news -- is it seems to be failing regularly which is much better than failing intermittently, they have a better chance at figuring it out.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What I might also suggest is to have someone video the behaviour of the 2 caps when you cycle the roof. You may need 2 cameras to simultaneously cover both caps but if you have a tripod and a digital camera as well as a smartphone you can do it with the help of one assistant.

If the roof cycle fails, the video will capture the moment with the cap hopefully being the culprit.

I would also do it under reasonably bright conditions to maximize camera resolution and have the cameras cover enough to show the roof and part of the trunk so as to clearly show what the roof is doing as it encounters the problem.

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So they replaced a sensor and it seems to be working. That is what the computer said was wrong, they dismissed the caps as being involved. Apparently they only adjusted the same sensor on the previous attempt at fixing the problem. Knocked on wood this is the fix.

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Fingers crossed for you. Are the caps aligned now? Or, still askew?
    T

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn't look but I would imagine the same since they didn't do anything to them far as I know.

19. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Maybe I'm old school here but when I was faced with issues like this with Porsche I felt that since I paid them handsomely for the car it was their responsibility to correct things. I had repeated problems and they failed multiple times to correct them end result was I demanded all monies spent and eventually got that after a fight. The customer shouldn't shoulder the time/effort troubleshooting Ferrari's problems, your'e not being paid a significant consulting fee for doing so you've invested in their product which should also include quality testing/R&d on THEIR side. With a >$225K car I expect it to perform flawlessly OR I fully expect them to stand behind it and bend over backwards to make things right -whether that be a $5 drill from Home Depot or a Ferrari make it right and take care of the customer... this "mystique" of Ferrari is pure silliness it's a car mfg not a religion that is beyond reproach so many here treat the Ferrari name being challenged like Muslims do with drawings of Mohammed

20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    +1

21. AEOBullSpread

AEOBullSpread Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    maybe lexus LFA a better choice ;)