Determining the right California for me | FerrariChat

Determining the right California for me

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by michael from MV, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael from MV

michael from MV Karting

Oct 6, 2007
    Marin County
    Full Name:
    Michael Vogel
    Hi There,
    I just sold my 458, the best car in so many ways i have ever owned. However as I get older and my needs change I am looking for a GT car. I am focused on the California for all the reason you all know and love the car.

My consideration is that with the announcement of it being discontinued I wonder if the price will be under pressure on used California's or just for the new ones.

Utlimately i am trying to determine which model is the best value going forward...Give me your thoughts:

-2015 California T at 169k
    -2013 California at 139/149
    -2010 California at 119

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Has this now been confirmed ?

Back to your query re best buy: 2013 - this may be a 30 so the price will be protected to some extent by the original below and the T above & have a year or two of free service left

3. michael from MV

michael from MV Karting

Oct 6, 2007
    Marin County
    Full Name:
    Michael Vogel
    My Ferrari dealer told me that it was official, that's all I know.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the best Cali now for the dollar is a 2013.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I agree ... and not just because I have mine on the market. I don't think there will be much of an effect on prices until the new car actually materializes so people can see how it compares. And, if the demand is high and you can't get one, that will also affect the older car values. When the T came out it in 2015 did not seem to have a huge effect on the 2014 prices, they stayed tiered pretty much as they have been. The new car could be a much different vehicle ... less of a GT, no one really knows.

6. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    You will have a hard time to find a good 15 T for 169k or a 13 at 139k...
    The 10 however you should find for 110k...

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Really good 13's are $130-140k, but yes T's are higher than $170k.

8. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I went through this very debate several months ago. Certainly no perfect answer, but since you are coming from a 458, i'd immediately eliminate the pre-2013s. While on the margin, they have a few more bugs and a bit less power. I'd also make sure to go for the HS package. I drove a 2010 with magneride, a 2013 without HS, and a 2014 with HS. Went with the 2014 with HS. I also disconnected the vacuum lines to the exhaust and dropped the car a bit under an inch. Was the right balance for me all round. I tried a T, but just didn't feel the price premium was worth it for me personally. The main thing I found with the T was the interior was a bit nicer, but beyond that the performance wasn't leaps and bounds better and the exhaust note gave me pause.

I honestly would have gone 458 spider if I could, but my wife really didn't like being in it vs. the cali which made it really tough to justify spending a bunch more. that will be a longer term battle for me :)

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I thought it was just for MY17 and later this year they will start MY18. For now they are focusing on catching up with the 488 demand until August according to the sales guy I spoke with yesterday.

10. michael from MV

michael from MV Karting

Oct 6, 2007
    Marin County
    Full Name:
    Michael Vogel
    Thanks for the replies so far, I hope to get some more input.

Yes i see that my 2015 price is probably 5 to 10k low for a really nice car.

So between the 2013 and 2015, isn't there an issue of warranty, meaning the 13 won't have any and the 15 will and you can add on?

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The 15 you can extend the original new car warranty for 1 or 2 years because it has not yet expired. You can't extend it for 1 year and then renew it again, it's either 1 year or 2 years, and since the price is more reasonable (per year) for 2 years, most people probably do that -- I chose to on my 13. It runs out in July of 2018 on my car.

Unless the 13 has had its warranty extended already, or if the 14's original warranty has not yet expired (it is probably getting close to expiring by now), all you can do is buy the New Power warranty, which covers the major components.

The New Power warranty is about the same price per year as extending the original warranty for the 2 year duration, so that's preferred if you can swing it, it covers everything.

From memory (price approximate may have changed):
    $6300 1 year extension of new car warranty
    $9900 2 year extension of new car warranty
    $4500 1 year New Power warranty

The car must have its services up to date and pass inspection at a Ferrari dealer to get the extended warranty.

12. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Personally at these prices, I would always pass on extended warranty (granted I own 6 cars which dilutes the risk dramatically).

13. michael from MV

michael from MV Karting

Oct 6, 2007
    Marin County
    Full Name:
    Michael Vogel
    in thinking of warranty or no warranty, other than the early DCT issues, are the cars pretty reliable?

are there ongoing issues?

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Roof failure and transmission sensors seem to be the most common "bogey men" from my reading.
    T

15. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I would say the best deal would be a 2015 CaliT of the three. It seems that they depreciated much faster than the previous Cali's did and at that price it's already less than average. I don't think the 2013 is worth the extra money. You could always buy the 2010 and save the extra $50k. You won't lose much on that car depending on the mileage and usage. They are all great cars and very usable. Good luck on your search.

16. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Our Cali T just went Red 10 last week and its a 2018 car.

17. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I agree at the prices he quoted the T is the best value. But I think he is too low on the T...

As written before for $40k more the 13/14 is worth it IMHO (but I couldn't upgrade last year for less than $65k plus tax) especially if you can one with free maintenance.

That said my 09 has been fairly solid...

18. SKIndy

SKIndy Rookie

Apr 8, 2017
    Just got a Cali 30 from 13. 170 sounds like a good price for a T but I liked the sound of the normally aspirated 4.3 much better than the twin turbo 3.8. Drive both back to back is my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Do you mind indicating how much you paid roughly for the 13?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    10 months ago we paid $140k for nice one owner, 7k miles, no extended warranty. Prices have been pretty flat.

21. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Having driven them all, my favorite is the Cali 30. I found the early Cali underpowered, and the Cali T to be too fly by wire. I have a search running constantly for Cali 30's currently, been looking for half a year, and would jump at the right one.

22. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    Im looking to list mine. Not to thread jack but corsa/beige tons carbon fiber 297 sticker...2000 miles. Can those on this thread ballpark the price. It has the full warranty till march 2018...too many cars dont drive it

23. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
  24. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    2013.....I think I bought it with 1900 miles and now it has 1980 miles, when I pulled the car cover off just started every week it's a sad sad state for the car, but when you have an eight month old and a 2 1/2 year-old that's what you get

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    as I said a really nice 2013 is about $140k, but yours is ++ with high sticker, low miles, and warranty. I would say $155-165k retail.