wind noise | FerrariChat

wind noise

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by iloveferrari, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #1 iloveferrari, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Hi, there,
    Just wanna check with y'all on the wind noise when the top is UP About 80 MPH+, the noise is quite loud. How is yours? Thanks!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's loud. Hard to hold a conversation. To be fair, I'm a bit hard of hearing. I don't use the wind shield either, because it seems like a nuisance to install.
    T

3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    sorry a huge typo. I meant the top is up and closed. sorry

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Our speed limits are different here and I can get a ticket above 72 mph but I have carried conversations on my phone using the Bluetooth mic of my car while driving at speed and the other persons said that they could hear me... not sure how well though. :rolleyes:

Speaking to the passenger is fine. Rolling all the WINDOWS UP, including the small rear ones would help a lot. Noise levels would also depend on the ambient wind conditions as well as tire noise from road conditions... smooth roads are much quieter. It's not all wind noise.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oh, OK. Yes, very minimal wind noise, even at high speeds, with the top up and all windows rolled up. Easy to converse...T

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Normal car noise. My all California's have leather headliners, but that makes it very quite at 80.

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I was driving to Vegas, in the middle of somewhere, I thought my windows was open...hmmm? Maybe ask the dealer to add more lube at the seam ...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Lube should help with creaks and rattles from the hard top, not wind/road noise, I would think....T

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you hear a lot of wind/road noise with the roof and windows UP it could mean the door/roof seals are not sealing properly. One or more of the seals may have failed or been shifted.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Ok, that makes sense...T

11. Bking12747

Bking12747 Rookie

Jan 11, 2017
    I thought mine was kind of noisy. I had a radar/laser unit installed last week. I asked the guys about road noise in the car. We all concluded that most of it was coming from the rear. The installers added 3.5 rolls of a product called Soundskin to the doors and rear end above the tires and rear drivetrain. Further they fabricated a press fit part that fits tightly in the area where the fold down seats are. You can see daylight into the cabin so I knew this might help. The part is covered in black carpet and has a pull loop on it. It think it's just 3/4" thick wood like you make a sub enclosure out of. I was very surprised at the difference all this made.

Today I downloaded decibal meter from the Apple app store and studied its settings. I tested various areas around the house and the meter displayed readings that were expected based on my research.

After getting it set up I drove a loop around my neighborhood which is about 4 miles at 40 to 55 mph. The first loop was in my 2007 S600 (85000 miles excellent) and the second was in my "new" 2015 Cal T. The results floored me.
    1. S600. Average 68.4 db. Maximum 79.4 db
    2. Ferrari. Average 68.4 db. Maximum 82.6 db

In the process you actually get to hear better the sounds that you want like the engine or stereo. I am going to have the shop install an 8" powered sub for that spot. We tested one in the shop and sound transmission through the folding seats (seat backs folded up) was excellent.

If you are a hifi lover, try running the fader full front. I have the high power hifi option and it sounds very good. It just needs a little bass.