Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) won't calibrate - solved! | FerrariChat

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) won't calibrate - solved!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by miamiron, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I had the low tire icon on the dash for quite some time. I tried several attempts at calibration, but every attempt failed. I assumed being a 2011 California, perhaps the batteries in one or more sensors died and I just gave up.

Finally, I was sick of seeing it, checked the air pressure on all fours, and found the rear left was in the upper 20s. Of course, never have any of the wheels "looked" low on air. I took it to 36 psi, and tried a recalibration. Success! The light is out, and everything has been fine ever since.

I guess the calibration requires you to be within required range before it will start/complete the process.

Hope that helps for anyone who's in the same boat and gave up.

Ron
    2011 Cali

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting. I assume you checked manual with a pressure gauge. Did the TFT display not give you a reading in PSI?
    T

3. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Hey Tom,

I cycled through what I thought was all of the possible info screens, and never found the display which shows each tire and individual current PSI. At that point, I assumed the car wouldn't provide that information/screen if there was a TPMS problem/fault.

My tire pump has an active PSI gauge, and that's how I discovered it was lower than it should be.

Ron

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That's odd, Ron. When I toggle the DISP button (top one, see pic below) for the TFT display, which is to the left of the steering wheel, the main TFT display cycles through engine temps, tire temp/pressure, and trip log.
    T
    [​IMG]

5. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Tom, the next time you encounter the TFT warning message that you need to calibrate TPMS, try to find the tire pressure screen, I'm convinced it wasn't available until after the system calibrated successfully and that my problem was I couldn't calibrate until tire pressure was in range on all fours. How could the car accurately show me low tire pressure if it's not calibrated? it makes sense to me to show nothing at all than false misrepresented numbers... gonna need someone else with experience with this to confirm - this is just based on my personal experience that's all

6. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Tom,

Here's a page from the 2011 California Manual. Tell me what you think.

Ron

[​IMG]

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Will do, but with relatively new tires, am hoping that's far off on the future. I try my best to ignore as much of the Cali infotainment as I can while driving. It's not as intuitive to me as my Porsche, and takes too much brain power to safely fiddle with while driving. I monitor tire temps on the TFT if it's cool weather, engine temps if it's hot weather. And, that's it.
    T

8. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Tom,

It states that the tire pressure screen you are referring to using the Disp button does not show when there is a fault. I was correct with my original observation.

I agree accessing the info system isn't the easiest to work with--- my Granturismo has a dedicated mode button to the left of the steering wheel, tap it three times and you see tire pressure info. Simple.

Ron

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I get what you're saying now. Likely read that multiple times but never sunk in. Thank you, Ron. Learn something new every day.
    T

10. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I had the same thing happen. The tire pressure screen disappeared. Corrected issue, and shortly (not right away) the screen came back.

11. miamiron

miamiron Karting

Sep 3, 2016
    Funny story - I was out for a drive today and happened to remember this thread for some reason, so I went to check to see how much effort it was to see the tire pressure screen (after calibration Tom ☺) --- was just one single click of the DISP button (vs 3 clicks of the Maserati mode button). Not sure if it remembers the last screen or whatever, but yeah, one click and there was the tire temp/psi screen. I'd say that's pretty simple.

But then I realized almost immediately why I never explore the info system (on the Ferrari)... it's because I have super-duper-sticky Disp/Mode/Up/Down keys and hate touching it!!!

ugh

12. Ochosi

Ochosi Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    Brighton UK
    I have the same problem. I'm not too concerned because my tyre (I'm a Brit!) inflator has a read-out and I know the tyres are all at the correct pressure. However, it would be great to get rid of that pesky warning light! I've tried taking the car for long runs with the TPMS screen showing but the car still won't calibrate the tyres.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The system did what it is supposed to do. You can't eyeball it and think it is good.
    The TPMS tells you if your pressure is off. If you could just reset it to make it go away, what's the point?

Set your pressures in the morning and use a proper quality gauge. That's page 1 stuff in the tyre tech 101 book.

TPMS sensors are not very precise, so only use them as warnings. Also, check the pressure one a month. Takes you 5 minutes and makes all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. aaagoodman

aaagoodman Rookie

May 30, 2019
    north georgia
    Full Name:
    gary semonian
    hey there,
    I lived with that stupid tire light on for 3 months, fearing I was going to have to pull the tires and replace the sensors...as my attempts at calibration had been totally unsuccessful. This afternoon, my California barely started after about 15 minutes of engine off radio playing. I picked up a new battery immediately and installed it. Car started perfectly, then came a surprise. The tire pressure monitoring system came to life. Calibrated perfectly, and now is reading all four tires pressures and temps. Now, I don't know if this will hold, but right now I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
    Before condemning the sensors or the monitoring system, check the battery. Mine worked fine until the day it didn't, and I'm guessing the system is very sensitive to voltage. Maybe a good early warning system for battery failure. Seems like I had 3 months of those warnings.

jsh458ft likes this.
  15. olovejoy

olovejoy Rookie

Jun 29, 2023
    Full Name:
    C. Owen Lovejoy
    I have the same experience--tire warning light on and I could not get the tire temperature and pressure screen to even appear--then I brought each tire to 32 psi (in fact one was low--have only had the car a short time) and the screen came up and the calibration worked perfectly...long story short--the screen won't operate if you have at least one tire too low in pressure...........

miamiron likes this.