HELP. California 2010 Brakes issue.. | FerrariChat

HELP. California 2010 Brakes issue..

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by KevenRivard, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevenRivard

KevenRivard Rookie

Jun 18, 2017
    Quebec , Canada
    #1 KevenRivard, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my first post here, and I need your help.

I just bought a 2010 Ferra California , 1 month ago, and since I got it, I took the brake pads off like 3 times to try different things to stop the noisy squeal they make. I have the CCM application on my car..

I tried the anti squeal on the back of the pads... Still noisy.

I tried to bed the brakes, (180kmh to 0, in the abs) like 5 times with 15-20 seconds intervals..

I tried to sand the pads, still noisy...

My rotors are in very good condition, but now look what I found on the rear brake pads, metal studs in the Carbon ceramic pads ? What is this ?

Can I use "cheap" pads on my carbon ceramic rotors ? If so .. i heard that 2015+ Corvette Z06 pads were the same ? What website sell brake pads for my car ? What application do I choose ?

I need your help, it's a shame right now , I prefer using my truck because of the squealy brakes lolll..

See pictures..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Car looks great.

My breaks were making noise and I took it to a dealer. They said no issue. Carbon ceramic brake make noise at low speed. If I drive more aggressive no noise.

How much noise? Noise when you brake hard?

I personally would take it to a dealer and have them looked at. If they needed new pads I would have them put them o my vehicle.

3. DropNGimme20s

DropNGimme20s Karting

Mar 24, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I get occasional squeaks at low speeds especially with limited pressure. Ive talked to multiple people with that issue especially if you typically just cruise around and don't work the brakes hard. It's definitely annoying. If someone has a simpl fix would love to hear it

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Entropy is one of the more knowledgeable folks when it comes to brakes here, perhaps he will weigh in on the pads. It doesn't look right and those rotors cost a freaking fortune so I would be really careful.

As far as the squealing on braking lightly, I have found on my car that when it starts to happen there is dust on the brakes, washing the car (just water on the wheels, no wheel cleaners) makes it stop until they are dirty again. Try rinsing the wheels and see if it goes away.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Keven, did you buy the car from the Ferrari dealer or from a non-Ferrari seller?

Was the car fully inspected by the dealer before you bought it?

The exposed metal studs that you mentioned in one of the brake pads look highly irregular so I suggest you not to drive the car until you determine why the studs are showing on the pad surface. They will likely score the CCM brake rotors and ruin them if you keep using those pad(s) with the exposed metal studs. The CCM rotors are quite expensive to replace.

Have you measured the remaining thickness of the brake pads? If not, I would do so and ask the dealer if they are worn out and should be replaced. Do not use non-spec brake pads.

Given that your brake pad(s) do not look normal I would make sure the brakes are all within normal spec before determining if there are other problems. Always make sure and if necessary, return equipment to normal spec before determining if there is an issue with how they operate. You cannot expect non-spec equipment to work to the original standards of the car.

As for truck brakes, the ones on my RAM 1500 are also wonderful. Pickup trucks have to brake well when the vehicles are fully-loaded so you can imagine the specs required for truck brakes. It's one of the reasons why pickup trucks are endearing to own.

6. KevenRivard

KevenRivard Rookie

Jun 18, 2017
    Quebec , Canada
    Here's an update ;;;

I used Nissan GTR anti squeak shims for my front brake pads , and it helped a lot.
    It's not 100% quiet but way less noisy than before.

I also noticed that , when I clean my wheels with pressured water, it stops the noise for about 1h of driving...

Oh well, I think i'll just live with the noise..

also note that the Metal studs are "normal" in the brake pads. (confirmed at the Ferrari Dealer).

Thanks for your time guys.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I just posted this on another brake thread. I'm on my third Cali, plus I'm on my 2nd FF. My '16 Cali T just went over 20,000 miles. My '14 FF has 26k+ miles. Anyone that has squeaking brakes is treating their Cali as they treat their Prius. Once they start squeaking, the fix is simple. Take up to 60 mph and STAND ON THE BRAKES H A R D, real hard. Then take it up to 80 mph and do it again. If they squeak after that do it one more time. Amazing, the squeak will be gone. The FF does something slightly different, the parking brake system will squeal when cold after a ton of miles. Have a mechanic lube the parking brake parts and it will go away. That squeak only happens when the brakes are stone cold. The constant squeak at all temps is fixed as I described above.

8. Magon

Magon Rookie

Jun 15, 2017
    London, UK
    My car is with the dealer for service, I have told them about the brake squeak issue, they are running a 'heat cycle' to cure the problem.

I believe the heat cycle is as RickLeaderman has described above.

Will update when I have my car back.

9. Magon

Magon Rookie

Jun 15, 2017
    London, UK
    My car was delivered back today, brakes are much better.

There is only a slight squeal.

Ask your dealer to carry out a heat cycle.