HS package Cali T ... how great is it? | FerrariChat

HS package Cali T ... how great is it?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Brian L, Jun 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have the FF and a '16 911 GTS cab. A HS car would replace the very cool 911. The Cali T was not exciting to me, felt cheap. How great is the HS?

Compared to the Cali T and the 458 or 488 Spider.

Sell me ... please :)

2. lmronson

lmronson Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    London
    Full Name:
    Laurence Ronson
    There is no comparison between the Cali T and the HS...believe me I've had both!!!
    Take a test drive...you will see the difference for yourself

3. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I personally felt the HS to be livelier - for the extra $7500 it's a absolutely worth it. But don't compare it to your FF :)

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brian...Laurence's and Noel's first-person assessment echoes all the owner reviews I can recall having seen here on F-chat: HS is a game changer option...T

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what does the HS package include exactly?

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mmmh - wldnt aftermarket suspension setup likely be "better" than the HS package? my cali doesn't have it and I spent 3 hours driving to my summer house and it seemed like a great ride.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The HS is great, I don't miss my 991tts a bit. The exhaust sound is as good as the 488. My neighbor has a 488 and it doesn't sound any better than mine when he starts it up. The magneride option makes a notable difference in the ride when you push it. I actually think it rides more smoothly than my Quattroporte when the bumpy road button is pushed.

The car is fast and it corners great. It also has great styling but that is true for the Cali T as well. To me the HS is about the sound and the ride.

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here is a few fun true stories. I will let them sell you.

Our family friends also ordered a CaliforniaT about the same time as ours. However he didn't spec like we did, specifically the HS package. We got our car a few weeks ahead. About a week ago I took him out in our HS. He is now trying to retrofit the package or he is selling it asap for an HS. He freaked on his sales rep about not recommending it.

Second story is a friend that has a 458 spider and barley drives it because of the lack of comfort and space for clubs and kids. He drove my car and is about to order one.

Third story is about another friend that recently his 488 Spider. After driving my car we both agreed that the CaliforniaTHS really is a perfect package of sport, comfort, flexibility, and style.

I won't compare it to the 911 Turbo I tested because it's not fare to the Porsche no matter how fast it is was. And add to the fact that I barely miss my FF and our GTC4Lusso is about a year out and I am now rush with this beast in our garage.

It's that good!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

10. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Well said - Opens up a lot of perspective for ones who are one the fence.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks all. Laurence, Noel, Tom, etc.

My dealer says it's the best 8000 you can spend on any Ferrari. And I trust him. He knows not to lie to me :) He's also the one who passed on my Lusso review, not my idea folks !

So it's a better car all around than the 458 and 488 Spider?

12. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's far more than that. Remap of the dampers can't be done aftermarket, nor faster shifts, better exhaust sure. Seems like the way the Cali T should be built. They finally got it right.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Right, I totally forgot the fast shifting and the loud barks if you are high rev short shifting, i.e around 6k. I have been offered an allocation on a 488 GTS and now wondering if I should take it or not. Car would be November production date.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The HS is certainly worth it, not an expensive option, but huge benefit. I love how advanced Ferrari suspensions are now you can comfortably drive around town or highway, but then in instant want to take a corner like F1, it responds.

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I find myself shifting for no reason, you get that wonderful pop on the way up and that addictive burble on the way down.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Understood :) I just hope it sounds like a real engine sound ... I hate turbos and hate the fake noises some cars have added. The videos seem positive and I have faith in Ferrari and all of you.

Thanks Rob, seems like we have come to peak flexibility/fun curve with the T HS, much like the FF is so flex/fun.

I will drive a 2016 with 2k miles vs the '16 911 GTS cab, and hope I don't like it.

Damn ... we all know where this is going!

And a follow up ... how many years left on this Cali T before they redesign it?

17. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I talked to the dealer and you can add the HS after to California T with Magenride. He lest all the items added (even the HS badge). He never said we can't add this. It sounded like the the complete HS package. It was just over $12K

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Brian, you come over as somebody who likes to use his cars, I think you will really like a Cali T HS. We just put 1000 miles on ours over a long weekend and last Thursday I got driven fast up the hill at Goodwood in another one.

It's not a V12 but it is the best turbo engine I have driven. The HS pack is just about pitch perfect for a road car in terms of suspension in the real world. Its comfortable with the roof down at speed, it will compliment your FF nicely.

We also test drove a 911, technically superb but unless you are at the limit, a little bland, like an upmarket Volkswagen GTI. No bad thing, but not an event.

On the replacement, there is talk of an announcement later in 2017, but no sign of a mule or any testing near Maranello, plus the things are still selling like hot cakes. Plus as you know, current Ferrari redesigns are not always a step forwards.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Was that you in the yellow T? That Cali looked great and was moving nicely up the hill!
    T

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    No, it was a black HS. My wife was in a blue 488 Aperta. Great fun, some tricky corners (Molcombe) , shady (damp) places and a big flint wall. Over too quickly of course !

21. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    The Cali T and the HS model are identical save for the rear exhaust parts, some different suspension parts and remapping. The interior is identical to the HS. Not sure what is "cheap" about the T. It is also as fast as a 458 in a straight line and corners well when equipped with Magnaride (sp?). I have a 2016 T and have tracked it at Laguna Seca and it was fantastic.
    The HS package was not available when I ordered my car.
    I have now added the HS exhaust to my car for around $3,500 and love the improved sound.
    I considered adding the rest of the HS package but decided against it after test driving an HS model. On my test drive I found the suspension to be quicker and more true at high speed through tight corners. But, one thought at the time was how many times will I get this betterment over my T? However, the main reason I did not add the full package was the manual shifting of the car. I always drive my T in manual and it is perfect for both high speed fun as well as low speed city driving. All of the shifts are well controlled and very smooth. Makes for a perfect daily driver. I did not find that to be the case on my test drive. At low speed city during I found the shifts to be rough/hard and very difficult to shift smoothly. So, my only caveat is to be certain you test drive an HS model before buying one. The rough shifting may or may not bother you. I suppose it is possible that the test drive car needed adjustments of some kind. It had around 1500 miles on the clock.
    I think everyone agrees that the factory option price measured by typical Ferrari prices is a bargain. It really does enhance the car.
    For me, I am very happy with my T and the added factory HS exhaust parts.
    I love everything about it, especially the burley enhanced sound and the pops and rumbles at all times.

22. daxmanjuice

daxmanjuice Rookie

Jul 3, 2017
    Silicon Valley
    I'm thinking of getting a brand new California T HS from my local dealer. I have a question for all on the board...what do most of you do for a living? I ask because my biggest concern isn't spending the cash, but rather the perception of driving an everyday supercar. I only drive 2 miles to my office (I own my business), but I frequently meet with clients (I'm in corporate finance) and am concerned about the optics of driving a $230k+ car to meet with them. Have others had the same concern or is it even valid? Would appreciate your collective thoughts.

23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think the shifting is probably smoother with the manettino setting at normal. I always drive in manual as well and personally like hard shifting, it's racier. I also find nothing "cheap" about the car, including the price tag.

24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting question, probably deserving of its own thread in the non model specific section.
    It largely depends on your clients, do they see a guy with a flash car who is taking too much money out of their pockets? Or do they see a successful man who's ability to provide a top class service has earned him just reward?

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, you are likely to find both positive and negative impressions from clients. Since it's a matter of business, it's better to avoid complicating business with personal issues. It's a bit like avoiding political discussions with business associates. Keep it simple.

Unless folks in your occupation normally display visible wealth as part of their business persona I would just keep the Ferrari for personal driving. Some clients may even know you own a Ferrari and may respect you more for not using it for work.