DCT Problems on 2012 California | FerrariChat

DCT Problems on 2012 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mikewithferrari, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikewithferrari

Jul 18, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    #1 mikewithferrari, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    I am close to buying my first Ferrari. A 2012 California. Was the DCT issue a problem for 2012's? Seems like it is mostly 2010 and prior?

2. Cml2116

Cml2116 Rookie

Nov 14, 2015
    Tri state area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The later model Cali 30's have less of these issues but they are still present regardless of the year. I have discussed this with a Expert tech and he has rebuilt transmissions on FF's and 458's along with Cali's. Usually it is a speed sensor which requires the GETRAG transmission to be opened up or a failed CCP which is the worse of the two given the cost is around $18K. Having a warranty is always a peace of mind item. Low mileage is a double edged sword as you want it but on older vehicles it tends to hide the issues. There are alot of good folks on here that can give more color to this. SAFE4NOW is a great resource for help as he has given alot of info in past threads on this. good luck.

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I think the best way to buy a California is to find one that has already had the DCT repaired,
    or keep $15K in reserve. Cracked headers are also showing up regularly.

SkiFreak likes this.
  4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I owned a 2010 Cali which had DCT issues when the car was 18.000 Km. Fortunately I had an extension warranty which covered all the repairs that amounted to a figure close to 10.000 €. Because the diagnosis took a long time and the DCT was disassembled and opened twice, I was without my Cali for almost 3 months. During that period I had long conversations with my dealer chief mechanic responsible for repairing the DCT's and he told me he has repaired gear-boxes as recent as 2015 and the more problematic cars were Cali's, 458's and F12's.

oldman1982 likes this.
  5. weldonc

weldonc Rookie

Sep 18, 2022
    Fort Myers Florida
    Full Name:
    weldon f cannon
    #5 weldonc, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    My 2012 California (9000 miles) just started shifting 1-3-5-7 and sometimes not having a take off and no throttle power....... and 20 minutes later, after constant problems it runs just fine, no problems at all. Does this mean a trans replacemnt? OMG!

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Being it into the dealer and have them see what codes it may have thrown. The odd-only gears sounds ominous.

Total replacement is not the only option. I think the DCT can now be cracked open and repaired. Where are you located?

T

7. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    i had this problem in my Cali, yes its DCT im afraid. Mine was replaced under the New Power warranty. I decided to trade out into a Mclaren 570 which i have no regrets for.

8. weldonc

weldonc Rookie

Sep 18, 2022
    Fort Myers Florida
    Full Name:
    weldon f cannon
    I have the problem now, my car has run good but last week it's shot, expensive! am getting quotes now