Can you bring a Euro ferrari 360 in Ontario | FerrariChat

Can you bring a Euro ferrari 360 in Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lou C, Jan 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lou C

Lou C Rookie

Dec 22, 2013
    Toronto canada
    Full Name:
    Lou C
    Hi.
    Can I import a Euro Ferrari 360 from the US into Ontario? If yes, what paper work will I need to bring it in. Also any other info. I will need to get it registered in Ontario. Thanks

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Only a '99 model year. Must be 15 years old.

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    John is correct, only a Euro-spec vehicle older than 15 years by month/year of manufacture (not model year) can be imported. A Euro-spec vehicle younger than 15 years can not be imported and registered normally, even if it is imported from the US and was grey market modified and certified in the US. There is a specific mention on Registrar of Imported Vehicles about that scenario to exclude it from eligibility.

Basically - you can import a vehicle younger than 15 years from the US if it was manufactured to US specifications and sold in the US. You can't import a vehicle younger than 15 years from anywhere else!

4. Lou C

Lou C Rookie

Dec 22, 2013
    Toronto canada
    Full Name:
    Lou C
    That's a shame. Will have to keep looking then. Thanks so much for info.

5. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Hmmm- this catches my curiosity...

Do they calculate the date from the actual month of manufacture or do they just go by model year...

i.e. let's say you had a car that was manufactured January 30, 1999 Could I bring it in today ?

or...

if a vehicle was manufactured in Dec 1999 it would still be acceptable because 2014-1999 = 15 years ..and they're not too picky about the month ?

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The RIV documentation says it is specifically calculated by Month/Year. A Dec 1998 car is certainly OK now; a Jan 1999 car should be OK, but might have to wait 3 weeks; a Dec 1999 is definitely not OK, not even Feb 1999.

The vehicle ID plates on the drivers door jamb only show month/year, not day of manufacture, so there will never be a vehicle manufactured on Jan 30, 1999, only Jan 1999. Note, those are on US specification vehicles - European spec vehicles, like my 1984 308 QV, don't have a vehicle ID plate on the door jamb at all (and are strictly not allowed until 15 years old). I had to write an email to Ferrari to find out my car was manufactured in June 1984, but I doubt such an email would be acceptable proof either.

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Too bad. A friend is selling a mint, low km 2000 360 F1 for a good price here in Dubai. Euro Spec. I would love to buy it, but have too many cars already.

8. Nikki Sixx

Nikki Sixx Karting
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2014
    Gents,

I require some specific answers to importing and the RIV site info. Is not all too clear, so I defer to the knowledge base here.

I have deposited on a 550 that I am picking up later this year and here are the details:

1. Car is 15 years old by Manufacture plate but is registered as a 2000 model year on paperwork.
    2. Car is a euro spec.

My questions:

1. Given the age, does RIV have anything to do with the importation?
    2. If not or if so, do I need a recall letter?
    3. Do I have to bring the car to FOO for the inspection in order to licence?
    4. Is it a straight importation now like buying a T-Shirt (of course alerting U.S. By fax 72hrs)
    5. Am I stuck with the 6% foreign import tax also?

I recall someone here who had imported rather efficiently a 360 . I couldn't find the thread so apologies if this is redundant.

9. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Unfortunately, yes.. I believe it's 6.1%, not 6. The car must be over 25 years old to be exempt.

10. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    1- anything 15 years of age or older, RIV has nothing to do with
    2- no RIV means no recall letter needed
    3- not sure what you mean by FOO, but it just needs a certification and an etest
    3- yup, and don't forget to call and verify they got the fax and everything is ok before you go!
    5- yup 6.1%. They really have no clue what car was made where so I 've been able to skirt it before. But with a Ferrari you are probably outta luck lol

11. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

He means Ferrari of Ontario, and no - no need to go there.. Heck, you can take it to Canadian Tire for that matter.

I'm curious though, if a car is not equipped with DRL, is it necessary to modify the car to have them even after 15 years old (I'm talking cars newer than when DRL became mandatory)

12. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ahhhh gottcha.

Nope no need to add DRLs or any other modifications. If importing from another country such as japan or Europe you may have to change out the tires if they don't have a DOT stamp, but only if the person certifying your cars checks or cares.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    A contrary opinion - I believe you do have to equip an imported car with DRLs if it's newer than the 1990 model year. It's not an RIV requirement, but a federal inspection requirement. You may want to contact an inspection agency to confirm.

Another thing to watch for is the glass - one of the sneaky things the provincial inspectors are checking for to help keep out Japanese RHD cars is to look for the DOT-certified safety glass for the windows.

14. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    you are in Alberta, much different than Ontario. We have not had a crack down on RHD cars.
    You %100 do not have to equipe a car with DRL or anything else it did not come with from the factory if it is 15 years or older. It just has to pass a saftey. If anyone tries to sell you otherwise take the car somewhere else.
    I've imported around 15 cars/bikes from the US, older than and newer than 15 years, and one from Japan.

15. Tony Montoya

Tony Montoya Rookie

Dec 29, 2005
    Believe me if I got into an accident with a 1990 or newer car and it did not have functioning DRLs that would not be good.

16. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    show me the law that states it needs retofitted lol

17. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    here you go
    Are daytime running lights mandatory on all vehicles? - All Ontario

Vehicles built after December 1, 1989, that operate without DRLs are either:
    ■United States licensed whose drivers are visiting Canada
    ■Have a broken or disconnected DRL function; or
    ■were imported when they were more than 15 years old, (the federal government does not have jurisdiction over these)

18. Tony Montoya

Tony Montoya Rookie

Dec 29, 2005
    The DRLs on my BMW 850 are burned out but luckily the corner turning lights are lit at all times. The rear lights are also lit full time. There are too many blind drivers out there. Probably from looking at DRLs. Thanks for the link.

19. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    no problemo!

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Also thanks for the link, it's good to know!

Upon review, I realized that I imported my 19 year old car from the US when it was only 14 years old, so DRL compliance was necessary at that time/age.

21. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No prob ! Yup, that would do it.