Ferrari's at the 2014 Toronto Autoshow | FerrariChat

Ferrari's at the 2014 Toronto Autoshow

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tifosi_, Feb 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #1 tifosi_, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #5 tifosi_, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I went to the Autoshow on Sunday, I was very impressed with the entire setup, management and displays. It seems that the show is getting better and more modern every year. (Anyone disagree, please discuss ?)

A few dissapointments no doubt....

- Parking was $25 or even $30 depending on the lot. (This is a family car show, not
    a Celine Dion concert)

- Ever since Rogers bought the Skydome the autoshow has not used it anymore. It seems that they are packing in more cars and displays into the Convention center buildings, the many different levels are very confusing and poorly accessed. I would suggest to reopen the Rogers Center (skydome) again for the show.

- The food and drink choices are terrible, and have been for years. (Pizza Pizza, hot dogs and 7up) is pretty much the food of choice in the food court. Why can't they at least have some decent options? I noticed many families complaining about this. They show up in the morning with kids etc.. and are forced to eat this frozen garbage. Maybe a Tim Hortons, or some other food options? Considering how multi-cultural TOronto is, I don't think Pizza, Hamburgers etc.. are eaten by all the guests.

- And last and not least... no La Ferrari at the FOO booth???? Are we not worthy enough to get a La Ferrari at Canada's biggest show? The Ferrari stand was pretty good, but was missing the most important car everyone wanted to see.

4. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Yes I think the exhibits have been getting better at the show every year, and I don't think that the absence of Porsche has hurt it one bit.
    As for the parking it's almost a given that when there is something going in at the Convention Centre or the Skydome, parking is going to be a rip-off. I guess it comes with the territory. You're much better off to park up-town and take the subway down to Union Station and walk over.
    I don't mind the food issue so much because the food is a rip-off as well so I stay away. There seemed to be a lot of selection though after the BMW stand I'm the other building. Prices are ridiculous though, worse than the parking.
    I was just happy that Ferrari and Maserati had such large stands with so many cars. True the LaFerrari was not there but there was a 458 Speciale there and a 458 GT2 (2 in fact, one outside the booth). The Matte Silver F12 Berlinetta was "to die for", and I still think the FF is ugly as heck no matter what colour they show it in. McLaren had their P1 there which was a surprise, but Ferrari always "marches to their own drummer". Maserati was promoting their new Ghibli which looks much better in the flesh than in photos. Lamborghini had an Aventador Spyder this year while last year there was only a Gallardo, but no new Huracan. Aston Martin only had one car, a Vanquish Volante, while Rolls-Royce had their new Wraith. There were no Bentley's to be seen however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I'm pretty sure Porsche had a small display in the main building, right next to VW. It was directly across from the Red Bull F1 (Infiniti) display.

Yes, there were some random food stands scattered across the buildings... but yes all crap food at triple the $ price. I don't understand how a show which attracts 250,000 people cannot have any decent food venue/area. Seems to be a no brainer for the promoters to make extra money.

6. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    You know what, now that you mention it, I do remember that there was a Porsche stand and they had a GT2 racing car on display with full roll cage. Must have slipped my mind. Anyway, I am wondering if that was a politically correct thing to do considering the latest news from Porsche: Porsche suspends 911 GT3 deliveries after spate of fires
    Porsche suspends 911 GT3 deliveries after spate of fires [Update] | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

I do agree with you about the food being a no brainer, I am just conditioned by now to accept the fact that the attitude of the venue is to try to extract to maximum dollar possible for everything from the visitors. Maybe they think they can sell crap to everyone who attends because its a captive audience and so figures they'll gouge them at the same time.

7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Awesome pics

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
  9. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    Porsche is back this year at CIAS after an absence.

Lucas... in terms of the parking cost, it's "because they can". I don't agree with it either, but it's how it is.

10. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Adi, I agree... people will pay $20, $30 etc.. whatever it takes to park near the venue.

But its still a total rip off (as well as the food vendors which Clyde mentioned). We are being sucked dry, and then they all wonder why attendance is down, people are cutting back and not spending anymore. If this was a USA show, parking would be free, and there would be many incentives to get people down to the show. (Free giveaways, new attractions etc.)

You can't expect to grow your business by continually increasing prices, and offering less. But in Toronto, this is somewhow the normal way of business.

11. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I agree with starboy444's assessment 100%

12. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Porsche returned this year and have an owner's lounge which was a nice touch. Show them your Porsche key to gain entry to sit and have a free espresso, pop or water.

13. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    That is a nice touch, since I'm not a Porsche owner I must have missed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Lucas,

Not just Toronto... many things out here in Alberta are increasing almost geometrically... I would estimate it to be at least 20% increase over the year for a large number of things. When I see the government stats showing inflation at less than 2% I always ask what they are "smoking"... because it is certainly not the reality for most.

Cheers,

Sam

15. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Sam, there is something definitely wrong with Canadian Business (or government agendas) when we continually increase prices and overhead costs when inflation is supposedly at 2%.

We can't expect to grow business, (ie the Car Show) when ticket prices and parking prices are increasing 20% every year. The cost for a family of 5 will approach $250... seems counter productive when that family has $250 less to spend on a new car afterwards !!

..."Gouging" isn't the proper term, I would call it "impalement".

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would pay extra if it wasn't so rammed, and so much walking around to get where I wanted to go.
    Better off to go to the dealerships direct to see the cars you wish.
    Flee markets on Sundays have the same atmosphere as the auto show nowadays.

17. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    They did have some better food services in one of the Halls (in South Building I think?). I saw some booster juice kind of stands and some sandwich place. Nothing special, but beats Pizza Pizza.

As for no LaFerrari, well, that's not a surprise at all. No NA autoshow had that car this year. I was disappointed Porsche didn't bring the new GT3 let alone 918, just some boring silver cars.

18. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  19. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The show kind of lost its "exclusivity" when I saw a family of 6 (including kids wearing snow pants, filthy boots) cram into a Porsche Panamera and start play fighting in the back seat. The salesguy had to literally yell at them to get out.

And whats with the fake salespeople working at the show? 1/2 of the people working at the dealer booths were "temps" or just good looking models (guys or girls) who knew nothing about any of the cars. Most of the real sales people were hanging out behind desk watching the crowd, and monitoring the temps.

I had a few complaints.. but overall I had a good time and was impressed by the quality of the entire show.

20. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I am not sure about exclusivity, the Toronto Autoshow has been drawing upwards of half a million people for years, and over 600,000 for at least the last 5. At the same time, reading your story about the Panamera is upsetting. I am happy to see that more companies leave their cars open for people to sit in and have a look, but when things like that happen it ruins everything and convinces them to do otherwise, and who can blame them? If parents bring their kids to the show they should be able to make them behave, after all, it is a public forum. I saw people lined up to sit in the Audi R8 convertible and they appeared civil.

I agree with you about the fake salespeople, its ridiculous. I was at the Jaguar stand and asked what the starting price of the new F-Type Coupe is, and was told its $106,000.00 by the temp there. When I explained that there are 3 levels of entry with 3 choices of engine and the starting price is definitely not that high, she had to go ask at the desk. It was taking so long I just left.

Overall though, I agree, it was a good show, and I was happy to see that McLaren thought enough of it to bring they new P1 for their display.

Clyde

21. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Definitely a great show, and glad to hear its growing in attendance and popularity every year. But also changing and morphing into something different than what I expected.

I always appreciated talking to the dealer reps and discussing the specifics of cars I was interested in. It seems now to be a Flea Market.. (BigRed mentioned) or some sort of carnival of cars. "buddy..Dont tell my kids NOT to jump on the hood and stomp on the roof of the Maserati... I paid $150 bucks to get us in here !"

Yes I understand its a show meant to display and lure in 500,000 kids, adults... (let them stomp on the hoods, and smash the navigation buttons) its not a technical meeting and industry function. But it dissapoints people like me who truly appreciate the automotive aspect. Maybe I'm just getting older and more complicated..:D

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Its an easy answer really, the fake sales people don't get paid on a sale and real sales people don't get paid to just be there. Why would the temp care that much with no compensation and please don't forget some of these temps work crazy hours. I know of people who did it and they worked open to close through the whole show basically. The real sales people do not typically wanna go because they can sell in the dealership only.