Here's a good one for you - could always be worse ? | FerrariChat

Here's a good one for you - could always be worse ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, Feb 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #1 MS250, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    A friend of mine picked up a 2014 brand new something higher end daily driver.

The car, and dealership will remain under wraps for a reason. For those of you who know me,I have a certain disdain for a certain car brand , and of course, that's what he bought ;)

He has 1,324kms on the car, and started hearing some noise banging in the rear of the car, so he decides to being it in under warrenty today. He calls me , says he is at the dealer, lets have lunch .... So, being cold, I look for a pair of close toed shoes to wear , as it's much to cold to wear flip flops today and hop into my car, and head out west to pick him up and do lunch at our usual pizza , espresso bar spot in Burlington....this place I highly recommend, unreal the freshness...amd espresso is the best in the city, even a tad better than Rocco's at rocks auto espresso. PaneFresco - Artisan Breads & Cafe | Burlington, Ontario | 905.333.3388

Anyway - as we are talking about this frigid weather, I'm biting into my pizza his phone rings...the conversation goes from easy going, to aggressive, to shock and Awww ......
    When he gets off the phone, I said what's wrong, he said ....get this...he says ..

"They took my car for the road test for the noise, and the mechanic got into an accident during the road test."

Of course, I had to take my pizza and biscotti to go now and eat in the car amd head back to the dealership....geez....was better if stayed home now.

We get to the dealer, and of course the car, well....lets just say, it's much more than just cosmetic damage.

So, if you think you have a bad day in the coming weeks, just remember, it could always be worse.

Stay warm friends !

2. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Wait a minute! You ate in your car? Biscotti? With all the crumbs!!!

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That pizza place is not even 5 minutes from my house..good stuff in there.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Great Gelatio place right around the corner at Brandt and Lakeshore.

5. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I think this is pretty much everyone's nightmare. But the nice thing about it being a new car is that there's always another one, exactly like it, available. And given that it's the dealership, he has the great leverage of "going public" to keep them treating him right.

6. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm sure your friend was stressed by the situation but he lives a very good life if that was, in any way, his worst nightmare. It's just a new car and likely will be easy to replace.

7. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Maserati....? ...Dead body forgotten in the trunk? ;)

This is the perfect reason to always LEASE high end vehicles. Car smashed by the dealer mechanic? Bye bye send it back, cancel contract.. end of story.

If he purchased it with cash, all the mess is on his shoulders.

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Update as of yesterday.

He has a courtesy car for now, which is the equivalent, they will be fixing the car, he is pushing to get out of this lease and redo another new car. So far, no luck, but has started the process.

Lets see what the leasing arm of the manufacture will do in the coming week.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The guys at that dealer (I'm quite sure I know the place) are very good. The place doesn't look like that because they are snakes in the grass. They will make it right.

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I told him that he should go in and discuss the depreciation on his 1,324kms ...call it $5 a km , they take the car back as they fix it and he gets the same deal and starts over in a new 2014.

All these big shops have insurance , he has no fears they will fix the car, but he doesn't want the car back from what we saw. He is perfectly happy with the loaded one he has right now , as it's a few steps up from what he had.

They do realize they have to do something, he just doesn't know what that is yet, nor do they, and all parties taking a few days to think of a solution.

Guess I'm going for pizza / espresso next week again ;)

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I know of a certain individual who took European delivery of a very high end sports car where he drove it for just over 1K before having it shipped back to Toronto where he lives. During transport the car got a scratch on it that was minor and very repairable. Upon arrival to the dealership he took one glance at the car and said 'this is not MY car' and the dealer refunded him his money, repaired the car, and sold it as used. Of course this was a very important client but even so the dealer really did step up in a big way.

As for your friend with 1300km the car is essentially new and this appears to be more than just a scratch. I'd ask for a new car to replace what got damaged. Realistically the dealer can repair the other car, and sell it off as used with minimal losses. The negative PR is not worth it in the long run. I suppose the attitude I would take with the dealer is that 'what do I gain by receiving a brand new car?' At 1300km for a 2014 the answer is NOTHING.

12. GRZEPAPA

GRZEPAPA Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Higher end daily driver from a dealer in Burlington. Where?? :) I live in Burlington and don't of any higher end dealers here. :)

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hamilton, Burlington , Oakville....it's all the same over there ....FAR !!!! ;)

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oakville is getting a Maserati dealer..so the rumor goes.

15. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    OH?

16. GRZEPAPA

GRZEPAPA Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Yes can confirm that Maserati is coming to Oakville. The former Lexus dealership off Bronte Rd. Part of FoO group. Lexus is moving to the north service rd.

17. GRZEPAPA

GRZEPAPA Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Easy now. You might start a war by putting Hamilton in with the likes from Burlington and especially Oakville!!!

18. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Big red,
    My view on this is that there are far worst things in life than what happened to your friend...
    The real question here is: What kind of pizza did you order? :D

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What an unfortunate story

20. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I recall many years ago before most of you were born, there was British United Auto at Yonge north of Bloor.

A guy who lived near me bought a Jaguar XKE Series 3 with the new 12 cyl motor. Back then you'd wait forever to get a new car and took the colour they gave you.

When he brought it in for it's first 1000 mile service (yes back in those days, before Trudeau we used MPH), a mechanic and lot jockey decided to take it for a "spin" on Rosedale Valley Rd.

And spin they did, flip several times, car was a write off and both occupants killed.
    The latter was probably a good thing, because if they had survived, I'm sure this owner would have finished the job.

The owner settled and got the drive train as a consolation which he plopped into an older XKE- just not the same thou.

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Wow, that's just horrible !

22. ragazzi_07

ragazzi_07 Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    only dealer that deals high end cars in burlington, would have to be Reds Enterprise's.

any updates on your friend?

not to thread jack but their is a 360 modena going for $69k in toronto seems to good to be true.