Transfercase on my '90 Testarossa | FerrariChat

Transfercase on my '90 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Canada' started by eziotestarossa, Mar 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    My Transfercase just let go on my 1990 testarossa what do i do? can't find replacement part anywhere!!!

2. ferrone

ferrone Karting

Aug 20, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Don
    Try ferrparts.com. Talk to Puno

3. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    If you are located in the Toronto area give Rock a call.

4. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Hey Rocco, I'm from Montreal but id have no problem getting a part from toront here to montreal where can i get in touch with rock?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Call Newman..he'll help you out. He knows that gearbox better then anybody. Search his name and send him a pm. He makes parts for that gearbox, and supplies those parts to a lot of shops. Including Rocco.

6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Enzio, Very general statement what let go? Diagnostic? What a part?

I hope you don't expect someone to offer a clean rebuilt assembly cause it that was to happen then open your wallet. Odds are someone will need to overhaul.

Best

7. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Agree with Newman as well. Rocks auto restoration - 416 686-8700.

Won't hurt to call both of them.

8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Rock has lots of good used diff parts in stock.

9. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    #9 eziotestarossa, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    while I was driving I kept hearing a tock tock sound right when I would get to a stop. Then I was in 2nd gear pushing the car right before i went to shift the car revved up really high as if I was in neutral but i was still in gear, tried all the gears nothing worked would just rev, called the towing towing hooked me up to a winch and while he was pulling me even though the car was in neutral it every full rotation the wheels would lock once and snap out as if it was in gear. The garage I got it towed to told me I need a whole new transfer case
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    sound more like a backyard diagnostic to me. [/QUOTE] whole new transfer case [/QUOTE]

If it were that shot you would have oil all over and wild clanking noises like chains and bolts flying. You did the right thing calling the tow guy, although I wonder about him not stopping when the car snapping in gear. Trans needs to be opened for a proper diag unless the tech really knows this car. Even then, I have not met a tech (yet) who can ID and order just the RIGHT amount of parts needed for an overhaul and replace ONLY the parts needing to be replaced. They always need to order a couple more OR they have some EXTRAS from the last job in their tool box (YA RIGHT, I've seen it)

Find someone you trust (or with good references) and have him open the trans and do a proper inspection and quote. Even if you were lucky to find a matching box, it would be smart to pop it open to do a visual on the gears. Most auto recyclers will give you a 3 month warranty on parts, but the labour is on you.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Is the cover of the case broken? Did he open the case? If the case is needed it is the complete bell housing. If only internal parts there are only 3 gears in it and I'm sure I've seen them advertise somewhere on the net this week.

12. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    whole new transfer case [/QUOTE]

If it were that shot you would have oil all over and wild clanking noises like chains and bolts flying. You did the right thing calling the tow guy, although I wonder about him not stopping when the car snapping in gear. Trans needs to be opened for a proper diag unless the tech really knows this car. Even then, I have not met a tech (yet) who can ID and order just the RIGHT amount of parts needed for an overhaul and replace ONLY the parts needing to be replaced. They always need to order a couple more OR they have some EXTRAS from the last job in their tool box (YA RIGHT, I've seen it)

Find someone you trust (or with good references) and have him open the trans and do a proper inspection and quote. Even if you were lucky to find a matching box, it would be smart to pop it open to do a visual on the gears. Most auto recyclers will give you a 3 month warranty on parts, but the labour is on you.[/QUOTE]

Hey Denis I just got back from meeting with the owner of the garage where my car is at and he showed me a video of my car making the exact same sound like you said, chains and clanking sounds,unfortunately he had no pictures of my transfer case but he explained to me what he thinks happened. My cats were blocked and the plan was to put in a tubi exhaust but he told me its ok to drive the car I noticed the car would over heat and lack power for the first 4-5 seconds when i would give gas but then it would pick up 100% power but at every gear shift the begging would lack. i called my local ferrari dealer just to make sure they told me it was ok to drive the car for short distances. i forgot to mention when the car stopped working on me my engine was smoking when i got out of the car. The mechanic thinks me driving the car with the cats blocked caused the engine to over heat and melted a hose that made gear oil leak out of the transfer case and made all the gears screw up. he told me buying all the gears would cost 17 000$ but recently he replaced a transfer case on a testarossa and found it used for 8000$ do prices make sense to you Denis?

13. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio

Hey godabitibi, the bell Housing is still intact but he claims purchasing all the gears could cost up to 17k, where as recently he found a used transfer case for 8k

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I guess the gears probably damaged the case to a point it need replacing. But the transfercase is part of the bellhousing. Try to contact Paul Newman. I think he told me he could get a complete transmission for $7000. If you only need the rear cover(bellhousing) with the transfer gears I think it can be cheaper.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I know someone who as possibly something for you. I'll check.

17. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Get a second opinion..... you need to open to diagnose

the trans needs to get pulled either way!

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You more then likely popped the diff, and broke a side cover. Newman makes the diff and is currently developing the side cover, which is made far better and stronger then the oem part. If you need a crown and pinion, I believe he has a few new ones lying around as well. Send him a pm. He is your best bet, in both price, knowledge and quality of work.

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #19 godabitibi, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Paul is out of stock of diff. He told me http://competizionecars.com/ had some in stock so I got it from Richard. He was very happy to help me and gave a good price. If someone need he has some more in stock. Also the side covers.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Denis, on the TR if you do the transfer gears or the differencial you don't have to remove the transmission. They both can be done in place. Same for the clutch. The clutch on these cars and many other Ferrari are not between the engine and trans like other cars. They are at the very back of the car or on the left in the 3x8 and Mondial.

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #21 godabitibi, Mar 30, 2014
  22. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks Claude and Ted(?) for the clarification

Still I am concerned by the quick diagnostic of the shop seemingly without opening anything.

Best

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes Denis they got the engine out. Apparently they removed the transfer gear cover and everything was broken.

24. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    #24 eziotestarossa, Apr 7, 2014
    I just got back from the garage the gears in my differential all broke
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting