Lets bring back Thursday Exotic Euro night at Paloma | FerrariChat

Lets bring back Thursday Exotic Euro night at Paloma

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Saturn, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    #1 Saturn, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last year you guys let a few things happen to the Paloma spot that the Exotics and Euro cars have been occupying since 2006 and earlier.
    - tuner cars started coming on Thursdays early in the season and eventually got kicked out
    - american muscle cars started showing after the tuner cars left
    - the Italian car venues and organizers moving the car meet spots all over Woodbridge and into Tuesday.

So lets bring back Thursdays Exotic Euro Night in Paloma.
    Stop all that bull*s*h*i*t and in-fighting that has happened the past 4 years.

Nick and Sadi can you pass this along to Fiat and Alfa boys. Sadi I want to see the new car.
    Gary we haven't seen your mug for a while.
    Mario bring your crew back to Paloma.
    I'll bring the exotic boys over.

It is 17 degrees this Thurs April 10.

So what do you say......

cheers,

Saturn
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/saturnsdrives/sets - Photo links to all the events for 2013
    Saturns Drives?s Videos on Vimeo - Video links to events for 2013
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #2 starboy444, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Saturn... totally agreed on your comments.

Last 2 years have turned into a giant cr@p show at La Paloma. I used to go every Thurdsday nite up until 2-3 years ago until it went downhill. I stopped going because it was just a nightmare to park, and got really rowdy for my taste.

It was the place to see, and be seen when it first started almost 10 years ago. Recently there has been a huge influx of "outsiders" who don't respect the people and property.

I'm not calling out the ERTEFA or Jap Bike Racers... but these guys really affected the atmosphere of the show. Too many dangerous drivers, loud music and bad attitudes ruined it. I stopped attending after seeing a few fights, burnouts, etc. Even watched as 2 motorcycles did wheelie's and burnouts in the parking lot and physically crashed into a storefront, and almost hitting a few people.

Now the property owners are denying entry to the lot because of this bad behaviour, in my old man voice "the damn punks have ruined it for everyone !" :D

I'm really happy to see all the car enthusiasts young and old participating in the car culture.. it seems that every parking lot in GTA (especially Vaughan) has some sort of show. But the La Paloma was always reserved for exotics (European) vehicles only... If I wanted to see Japanese or Tuned compacts I can go over to Martin Grove, or to Thornhill.

I understand its an open parking lot, nobody owns the property outright to hold a show, but either us Italian/European car owners find a new spot, or someone needs to create a committe and negotiate with the Landlord to hold rights for Thursday nites.

3. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I prefer Thursday's as well.

4. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #4 myronx19, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    It's the Alfa and Fiat clubs that started the whole Italian Car Night thing, as we were over at Veneto Club before La Paloma (I have pics of those). There were no spectators there, so it moved (among other reasons)

A deal was made with the landlord to move it to Tuesdays - and I don't have an issue with keeping it on Tuesdays. What's the difference? Wednesdays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, whatever.. The original agreement was for the night to start at 9pm - when the stores close. After all, the tenants pay a lot for rent - which includes parking access for their customers. The tenants who benefit from us being there is clearly California's and La Paloma - the others, not so much. It's more of a nuisance for them, and well - we usually arrive well before 9pm.

I'm for keeping it on Tuesdays until the clubs decide to move the day. Everyone can come out and join if they like, but the Alfa/Fiat part of it will remain on Tuesdays.

Here's a little collection of 400+ photos of the Italian Car Night that I've taken over the years. I'll upload the Veneto club ones soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myronsamila/sets/72157632566530859/

Lastly - the "show" was never reserved for exotics - just Italian cars, just like Italian Car Day. From Fiat 500s to Alfa Montreals. The first nights had almost zero exotics.

5. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    This is the senseless negativity and segregation I am talking about...
    I love your photos and the many "exotics" I see in there ... lol

There is still hope though that Thursday may still come back...

6. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    I might have come off in a negative way but...

Italian cars at ICD:
    Ferrari
    Maserati
    Lamborghini

^^^ Arent they exotics?

Also the Italian Cars that you mentioned the Fiats, Alfa, DeTomaso, Quattrovalvole will start to dwindle over the years as they are going to start breaking down beyond repair...and you'll be left with only what ... Fiat 500's for the ICD if your saying no to exotics.... ;)

unless we start getting 4C

7. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    I'm not sure how I'm being negative, just merely stating fact.

Maybe I don't understand the argument to change it back to Thursdays. Why not call Tuesdays the old Thursday? To me it doesn't matter, but that's the deal the Alfa/Fiat club made with the landlord.

In the end, we have to thank the landlord and tenants who allow us to come there and use their space for free. If the landlord says Tuesdays is our night, then what else can we do?

La Paloma is a great spot - close to the 400, gelato and veal sangweeches... Who could ask for anything more??

BTW: I was referring to ICN - not ICD re: exotics.

8. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    ah my mistake Myron.

9. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thursday is my choice.

Then I can do Tuesday in Bolton again :D

10. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Thursday unofficial start to the weekend.........Tuesday's suck!

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    +1

Tuesdays are the night I watch Coronation Street

12. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +100

This is very true...Landlord has been very patient and friendly for allowing 200 cars to occupy their property every Thursday.

Its a difficult problem, we have a great bunch of Exotic/Italian cars showing up on Thursday, mixed in with the ERTEFA, Japanese and Compact cars. Its just too much people and cars to handle at once.

No Doubt that the la Paloma is the best location (close to Gelato, and Veal :D) but it seems everyone wants the same thing at the same time.

Some other locations I would suggest: Weston and Rutherford, and Islington north of Rutherford both have large parking lots, with ice cream, sandwhiches and Tim Hortons. And are pretty close to Highways.

13. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey

BARRIE ALWAYS WORKS TOO ; )

14. Forza355

Forza355 Formula 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Not for me, it doesn't!

15. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul

Barrie has an exotic car night on Thursdays already, so Tuesday in Woodbridge and/or Bolton is great

beev

16. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Most of the car guys are from GTA area. There needs to be another option for a car meet location... I already suggested two.

The La Paloma guys could always go down the street to the Costco / Rona Parking Lot on Weston Rd. There are tons of restaurants and pizza places in that parking lot too.

IIRC there used to be a large compact/Japanese gathering in that lot a few years ago, until Landlord security forced them out. (They actually put chains on the driveway entrance after 8pm store closing!)

There is also a large new Plaza on Hwy 27 / Langstaff in west Woodbridge. They just built a ton of new plazas, Walmart, Starbucks etc... I'm sure there is room for a decent show in one of those lots.

17. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Ok do tell. I didn't know of exotics meets in Barrie, just the old car cruises like the Thunder Classics Club and the guy with the fake Diablo....

18. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
    So, is anything going on this Thursday?

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Aurora at 404/ Wellington is perfect.

The roads are not congested, easy access, nice drive, clean roads without potholes or damages.

Starbucks, marble slab, south street burger and the likes...she'll gas station ;)

Anything south of Major Mackenzie nowadays is just way too much traffic at 7pm.

20. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #20 myronx19, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    perfect! I work at Magna HQ, short drive from here right after work!

Heh, we could just use the Rona parking lot :) (for those who don't know - they're closed)

21. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

Fave/Rick - your cars are going to start breaking down beyond repair. SELL 'EM NOW! well - in fairness, your cars are 2V so you're ok.. it appears this only affects QV's :)

sorry, I'm just being facetious, ha! I just needed a laugh.. because as I drove in this morning, all I saw was snow :( WTH!?!?

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Now were talking ;)

Don't worry Myron, I've been an owner for 15yrs now, I know what the bills look like :)

23. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    Myron please excuse my tirade yesterday... long day. My apologies.

I must have read your statements incorrectly and thought you were not too fond of exotics. I also never mentioned Thursday was reserved for exotics... I did mention Exotic/Euro Night..which encompassed Italian Cars of which Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati are considered exotics.

Either way the whole point was bringing back Euro/Italian/Exotic nights back to Paloma to Thursday...which was happening from 2006 onwards.

This Thursday evening is rain so it doesn't look like anything is happening. But hopefully the following Thursday.

ps: Fave's car was already broken down before he bought it. Ricks car ... nevermind... I love Ricks car. Every part of my Maserati has been replaced .... except the rear view mirror.

QUOTE FROM MYRONX19
    "Lastly - the "show" was never reserved for exotics - just Italian cars, just like Italian Car Day. From Fiat 500s to Alfa Montreals. The first nights had almost zero exotics."
    END QUOTE

24. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Saturn, no need to apologize! We're all friends here, and we share the same passion.

Whatever the case, for me it's an Italian car night - exotic or not (from Vespa to Miura - if it's Italian, it belongs). If it's other Euro - well, I guess they'll get an earful from the organizers if they park within the two lines assigned for the clubs (Fiat/Alfa). Unfortunately this is not always done tactfully, and I felt bad for one guy in a BMW convertible last summer who was told to move.. a fight almost broke out, mostly because of the "way" he was asked to move. Well, he didn't move - and things got a little ugly. If you ask someone kindly, heck, they may just move their car without hassle... and if not, no big deal. Now, if Giovanni wants to show up with his Jag and park in the mix, I'm not gonna argue.. he's great.. heck, one night he brought his Jag race car - left, came back with his California (or was it the Miura, F40, or... hehe)

sorry, I didn't mean that you quoted the "only reserved for exotics"... it was this quote, which I'm sure starboy meant reserved for all Italian cars...

Wait - maybe he's right! ALL Italian cars are exotic... :)

25. CANDREAM

CANDREAM Canada

Nov 13, 2009
    Burlington, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Sadi
    Good to see everyone back fired and ready to go........

Saturn, I have no issues with Thursdays. I agree, it is closer to the weekend......

We have to see what the landlord will permit....seems to be a complex story especially with larger crowds building in the summer. Nick knows more on this.

Personally I have no issues with any model cars......I like them all as long as everyone is respectful and not "monkeying around".....even NOs Hondas......are fun.

Lapaloma for me is more of a liability since it gets crowded and too many strollers around cars. Already got dinged once.

There was a discussion about moving into another location......but no definite location ......we tried 7 and 27 ended up being too small.....we need a place that is far from the crowds, good coffee/gelato and large enough to park our cars without dinging the doors.

Maybe triangulate to 3 locations and pass a vote for all.

Saturn....love your new toy......with the accents......I guess we will see you in the British Car Day too :) ....great show.