Buying A Ferrari In Not Your Home Province. | FerrariChat

Buying A Ferrari In Not Your Home Province.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by PeppermintFerrari, Jul 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeppermintFerrari

Jul 16, 2014
    There are two official Ferrari dealerships in Canada. One in Quebec, and one in Ontario. Easy. I however live in the great, all mighty, Prince Edward Island. I did see a brand new F12 Berlinetta once, true story, PEI licence plate. Also a Audi R8, with massive amounts of body kit. Those were the two most impressive. Any who...
    I'm pretty young, but I'm pretty smart. I have a very good feeling I will be able to afford a Ferrari at 17 or 18 or so, so I had some noobie questions.
    I really really like to plan things. Even if those plans may just not happen. Lets just pretend it's a perfect world for the rest of the post.
    My big plan goes as follows:
    1) Order, or buy, or plan to buy, a Ferrari in Ontario.
    2) Fly to Ontario with my girlfriend.
    3) Stay in Toronto for a week or two. (Or longer if I had to wait for the Ferrari if something took longer for some reason.)
    4) Take an epic, long, activity and site seeing filled road trip back home!
    What a perfect world.

So here's the thing I'm wounding about. I'm really confused about the licence and insurance of this imaginary Ferrari. I have thought about four possible ways, but the real reply may be none of them...

A) Get the Ferrari temporally licensed and insured in Ontario, with an Ontario plate on the back. Drive it home and get re-registered and re-insured in good ol' PEI.

B) Get it licensed and insured in PEI before it even leaves the dealership in Ontario. Being PEI (Custom plate, and cool design that costs extra) license plate on plane.

C) Your entire plan is flawed, the only way is to get your Ferrari delivered.

What one is it?

I had a bunch of practical Ferrari questions, but there too model specific. Who knows what's going to be available in 2017, 2018, and so on?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Unless you're a trust fund baby, or you're one of those teenagers who developed an app that you sold you Marissa Mayer for a ****zillion times more than it's really worth, I'm here to tellya that you will not be buying a Ferrari when you're 17 or 18 "or so".

OK, so what is you're next (hopefully) realistic question?

3. PeppermintFerrari

Jul 16, 2014
    Oh well thank you for answering my question old man.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    New car? Used car? Condition? That might determine whether you drive it home or have it shipped. Check with the motor vehicle branch and an insurance agent in PEI. You should be able to use a temporary permit / plate and insurance but requirements could vary from province to province. I imported my car from Washington state to BC. I drove it home. I used a Washington state temporary registration while in the US and a BC temporary insurance policy provided insurance while in the US and then both insurance and temporary registration once I crossed into Canada. All quite simple and seamless. Ontario or Quebec to PEI can't be difficult. There is something exciting about driving your Ferrari home, even if only 250 km, as was my case. Good luck!

5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hmm, can't speak for PEI but in Vancouver there seem to be a large number of teenaged guys with very expensive cars. Rich absentee parents? Now it's old news: Thirteen rich young drivers fined $196 after swanky street race (with video) - News - Surrey Now

6. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm going with C, your plan has a major flaw. You need to focus on acquiring at least 19 credit cards first and foremost.

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Well, from your opening sentence, your plan demonstrates a serious lack of research. You're missing a few official Ferrari dealerships in Canada, including Calgary and Vancouver. Not a big deal, but when you start with absolute statements that are absolutely wrong, it's not a great start.

You want a new Ferrari in 3 years? Place your order now, cash up front. Otherwise, 3 years isn't going to happen.

Again, much more research required to eliminate serious flaws in your "plan".

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Ok... here's something you need to understand.

Responding to someone who takes the time to answer with the tone and timbre of your response above will not win you any friends on this board.

And, if you don't have any friends, you won't be able to stay long.

I'll make sure of it.

Calling Dawg an 'old man' was unnecessary, and uncalled for. Especially since he's younger than I am.

Be warned. If you're going to be an ass, then your account will be banned, and you won't be allowed on the board.

Mike

9. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Wow, according to article, basically the police impounded their cars without any legal evidences, just based on some phone calls. I have some experience to share here, when you drive a Ferrari in Vancouver, like it or not, out of 10 people look at you, about 7 will hate you for no reason. If you drive 20 kmh over speed limit, they will call it excessive speeding. But everytime I go to Stanley Park, I see bicycles doing 60kmh and nobody call that excessive cycling.
    If you drive it slow but loud, they will call it annoying. But lawnmowers are louder and being operated next to their house for longer period, I have never heard anybody complains about lawnmower.
    If police seizes my car because of somebody reported me driving over 200kmh while I never did that, I will sue that guy for a false report, and police who received the call will have data about the caller, that way I will bite him back, hard, and long.

10. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well first off, calling someone "old" isn't very nice. When i bought my first porsche at 18, my dealer told me "hey your are young and people will judge you, it doesn't take much to show some class and prove to them you are better". Now for your questions.

You have to be alloted a slot for a new F12 (most likely around 1 year wait). It takes around 3-4 month to build a new ferrari. (1 month to ship unless you opt for $5000 air ship). So staying in toronto for 2 weeks isn't going to help.

A+B) You can get a temporary license in Ontario (cost around $130), last 6 days at which point it expires (enough to get you home). As for insurance, you will need it for the temporary license. You can get yourself insured in PEI, just tell them you will be driving the car through Ontario, Quebec, etc (shouldn’t be a problem). Getting yourself insured could be a problem, i had a hard time with my first masi (due to age). so talk to insurance companies before you buy the car.

C) I would suggest you fly to Toronto twice, one for ordering and one for delivery. It is an experience. It makes ordering easier too if you can see the other F12 in the garage. Now of course you can also do everything through email or phone (I did that for my 458 spider) only because I saw a couple and knew the options. As for driving it back, like I said before, insurance isn’t a problem. I would suggest ship (not sure price to PEI but probably like $1700). I found the pot holes, stone chips, bugs, rain and night driving makes it not worth it plus your putting alot of km for boring drive. Also with ship you can register the car in PEI therefore do not have to register for temp in Ontario.

Last advice, tell them not to put front license plate (required in ontario), you don't want holes in your new car.

11. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Also if you do buy it and pick it up in person (suggested). You get to meet Remo Ferri (owns ontario and alberta dealerships) and loves to talk car. He sits down and chat with all customers on delivery espically its your first time.

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I never get any insurance for my Ferrari or other cars, only get the basic.
    Just make sure you don't follow too close and install a good dash cam in your car, that's it. Insurance for Ferrari is crazy, I've been quoted $12k for a year. Even the basic alone is almost $3k. Insurance companies principal is GST (Go Squeeze Them).

13. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg

Dear Peppermint Patty:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

:)

14. Tony Montoya

Tony Montoya Rookie

Dec 29, 2005
    Anybody can buy a Ferrari. They cost from 10k to millions.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I wouldn't be so quick to insult a long standing member who, by the way, is a multimillionaire arms dealer (a lot of those on here, btw, just in case you were thinking about throwing out any more insults).

16. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Buying is one thing. Maintaining it is an entire other matter.

17. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    And don't forget Artist, a painter, I think.

Bernie is right... I've had two Ferraris, a 348 and a 355, and maintenance costs can add up quickly.

Mike

18. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #18 bernardo66, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Answer.

D) None of the above.

Finish school, establish yourself, and when it comes time to buy, then you deal with it.

For now, enjoy today. ;)

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are rude.

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Also true but I believe he only does art on occasion.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Am I reading and understanding this correctly??? No insurance???

22. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    True, but in my case I enjoy sculpting on occasion now... I figured there was only room for so many multimillionaire arms dealers who like to paint on occasion (such as yourself), so I switched.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    You must be paying attention to the prices my latest paintings have been fetching at Sotheby's Evening Sales. I don't blame you for switching. :)

24. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In response to some posts that mention old men, Ferrari-haters and costly insurance. 1) I'm old - got my first Canada Pension payment before I got my first Ferrari, 2) I've not encountered a single "hater" but then I'm just driving "not red" 328 with stock exhaust - mostly, if anyone notices at all, I get a thumbs-up or friendly comment and 3) my insurance with BC collector plates - $5 mill TPL, $300 coll ded / $300 comp / $200 windshield deductible - only $813.

With the insurance premiums for "own damage" coverage on new I can understand why someone might choose to self-insure. But I strongly advise carrying more than "basic" for third party liability coverage, which is only $200K, even if one has good driving habits and a dash-cam.

25. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Wait you paint?>???

Crap. I thought you did origami so I started doing the painting so that we arms dealers would not cross connect in our private hobbies.

Well dang now one of us has to switch.