77 308 gtb 21277 | FerrariChat

77 308 gtb 21277

Discussion in 'Canada' started by URAS, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #1 URAS, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    just wanted to say to everyone. new addition to this site. working on my 77 for 8 years now. going for paint end of this month. my question is on type of paint. original was giallo medena fer102 (nouovo giallo fly 20.y.490). paint is my weakness. can anyone recommend a paint supplier, mix, code, etc. going with 2 stage solid with 3 coats of clearcoat. regards, vince.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    #2 ragtop1, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    I recently had my 308 painted with Glasuirt. / base clear. The quality is stunning, second to none. Ask your paint shop to mix giallo medena fer102. They will have the reference

You know that many questions regarding your car will be coming in real soon. :D

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I used PPG on mine (went from verde inglese to rosso scuderia) and it looks really good.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Vince, if you ever want to sell that car please let me know. In any state of completion or all apart. My friend is looking exactly for a car like yours.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Can I also suggest you post this in the 308 section.

6. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    we need more pics too, please

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For my taste you will have the nicest 308GTB ever. Yellow on black non-cat with euro look. Make sure you install the Californian mirrors.

8. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    8 years in the work....wow!

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    thanks for the replies everyone. much appreciated. I did order the California mirrors and have had them for over 5 years now waiting for their time. while not period correct, I went with the passenger mirror as well....just safety and looks. the driveline has been completed and will be installed in jan....finish painting by the end of this year. interior was all done 4 years ago and wrapped and waiting for installation. working towards getting it ready for spring 205. I will post more pictures next month.
    thanks for the offers to buy...but I cannot sell. this is the most complete restoration I have ever done on a car currently (though I am restoring a 1974 jaguar xke e-type, 12 cylinder convertible, which has taken on a life of its own from a minor repair to a full blown restoration...but this car is still a couple of years away from completion). now that my kids are grown up, and I do not want a dog, this has become my baby...it would be like giving up a child for adoption.
    I guess, given my advanced age and more free time, I should join one of those Ferrari clubs and learn how to drink Italian red wine!

10. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #10 URAS, Oct 20, 2014
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't know if this helps, but there seem to be some confusion regarding the name and the reference of the colors. So perhaps a sum-up could be of some help?

The colors that were available for the 308 changed in 1980, when Ferrari ended the use of Glidden Salchi paints, and went to Glasurit. This coincides broadly from the change from carburatted engines to injected engine.

Being a 1977, and yellow, you car could have been painted in one of three different yellows by Glidden Salchi:

- Giallo Dino 20-Y-348
    - Nuovo Giallo Fly 20-Y-490
    - Giallo Senape 20-Y-464

It could NOT have been painted "Giallo Fer 102" which is a Glasurit reference that appeared only in 1980. Nor could it have been painted in "Giallo Modena", which is a name that appeared even later (there is no such thing as "Giallo Modena Fer 102", it is simply "Giallo Fer 102")

So my guess is that it was painted in Glidden Salchi "Nuovo Giallo Fly 20-Y-490", and that you have now to find the equivalent of this color in a modern paint.
    "Nuovo Giallo Fly 20-Y-490" could be the same color as "Giallo Fer 102", but this must be verifed first if you intend to stay true to the original color.

Hope that I am clear (no pun intended).

Rgds

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I was not clear in your earlier posts if you would be painting the car or if it was being painted at a body shop. I would strongly urge you to consider having a professional do the final prep and paintwork as it will make a massive difference to the quality of the final result. There is little substitute for proper experience and equipment when painting a car and something so visible as paint should not be skimped on.

Professional paint or not there are a few things to bear in mind when painting yellow:

1. Yellow is a very very transparent colour. You will have to put a LOT of coats of colour to get proper coverage and it is essential that the car be painted either white or with a yellow tinted primer to get the colour right.

2. Seeing as you are located in Toronto you will suffer with water borne paint systems that make the first problem even bigger. With Glasurit you may want to consider painting the car in single stage rather than base clear. Single stage is still solvent based and has much better colour coverage than base clear. In addition you can clear over the single stage if you want to.

If you want to discuss body and paint a little further please feel free to PM me and we can chat on the phone. I'm located in Toronto and just went through a Pebble Beach level paint job on a Dino and can let you know what to look for in the process.

13. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    thank you both for your feedback. very much appreciated. the original (verified) was nuova giallo fly 20.y.490.

initially i was looking at ppg dbc-81648.

currently, from glasurit, there are 3 yellow's available:

1) giallo (glasurit fer 102)
    2) giallo medena (glasurit fer 102)
    3) giallo medena (flasurit fer 102 d.s.)

i really cant tell the difference between the three so went for the middle (2nd) one as it looks like it might have a slightly more orange tinge, which is what the original colour has. but again so hard to tell the difference.

i am having a professional shop do the final bodywork, priming/painting. cant leave something like that to an amateur without the proper equipment. will talk to the shop about the above comments and make sure i am going the right way. nuvolari, i will talk to you next month once the process on the car has been started

14. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Just to add , there is some benefit in interviewing your body shop on how many ferrari's they have fully painted. Then call those references for some feedback.
    People will say painting a car is painting a car, but a Ferrari has different curves than a honda or a ford 150 ;)
    A specialty shop has a better understanding on how to prep the car over a collision centre and understands about shrinkage and dust that's airborne.

15. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    thanks big red. the guy i am using has done many of these vehicles in the past...i have been by and talked to many of his customers. he is a one car at a time guy. the guy is retiring at the end of this year. have known him personally for over 15 years and seen his results countless times. my car will be his last car to work on for the next two months. my questions were more for my education as, as i said before, paint is my weak spot. i dont join groups or chat clubs but have to say the feedback has been very welcomed and i have quickly learned. i agree with you totally....this car has been unlike any other i have worked on. for such a small car, so many parts, so many bins, so much shelf shape, so many pictures, so many many many curves. thankfully when i started this 'small' project, i did not know what it would take, how it would rip the life out of one's body.....but now in the home stretch and looking forward to the reward in spring 2015....and yes driving past those honda's!

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Good luck Vince, can't wait to see another 308gtb on the 407 ;)

Let us know of your maiden voyage - a Ferrari drive will be in order :D

17. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I will follow this thread with great interest.

Gr. Martin

18. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #18 URAS, Apr 29, 2015
  19. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014