308 GTB wanted | FerrariChat

308 GTB wanted

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SkyKing, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkyKing

SkyKing Rookie

Dec 31, 2010
    Chatham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Looking for a 308 GTB, preferably carbureted, but will consider injected. I want to buy in Canada. Thanks.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Good luck in your search. Not an easy one. The're getting fairly hard to find. Especially in Canada.

3. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Everyone seems to keep the 308/328 in these days, you may consider to import one ; European Version is better than America one. Good luck in your search.

4. SkyKing

SkyKing Rookie

Dec 31, 2010
    Chatham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I see what you fellows mean. There just don't appear to many out there, all across Canada. I'm sure there's something sitting in somebody's garage, but getting the word out and tracking these cars down is a problem. I have it on good authority from a friend of mine who really knows the market and Ferrari cars that there were actually a large number of 308 GTB's imported into Canada. Now the trick is to find them!!

5. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Join the Ferrari event and concourse this year, you will see a few which are most likely not for sale. Wait until spring to see .

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    There is a nice Vetroresina in Ontario but they are selling it at Amelia Island :-(

7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I remember having one at my old employer and we couldnt give it away at $40k in 02 :D

8. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    If people have their wits about them, they will hold them unless they desperately need the $$

9. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    it is really not that difficult to import from the USA I have undertaken this many times. Once over 25 years of age (or is it 15...I forget), smog and impact do not count. Once you find your vehicle, complete a one page form and fax to the US customs office 48 hours in advance. When you drive over, show the form, you get a clearance letter, show to Canadian Customs, pay HST on price, and later take to MOT to register. It has not taken me more than 2 hours from start of US customs to end of Canadian customs. If you use a freight service or dealership, they will do it for you. Much easier to find in the USA, and usually better condition as they do not have our salt/sand issues with winter. You have 12 times the volume in the US as you do in Canada.

10. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    ps....there were not a large number imported into Canada. There is a thread somewhere on the 308 Forum which gives numbers. Most of the cars went to USA and few were exported to Canada direct. Most of the current cars in Canada were later imported from USA. Some of the Canadian cars were exported to USA or to Europe (getting higher prices there), so very few original Canadian cars remaining. It makes no difference in value if the car was originally from USA or Canada, as long as history is documented. Especially with the increase in 3x8 prices which are rising sharply, especially the 308's carb'd, noncat (fiberglass is already way up and hitting $200k to $300l euro dollars).

11. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    In today's market I would be a seller of a 308/328GTB into the USA not a buyer, with a 25% exchange rate ( including bank fees ). As for local 308/328s being exposed to snow/salt I don't think so.

12. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Here's a local one... not for the faint of heart (price wise, but this car is basically brand new), really nice car. I've seen it during the restoration and it was a treat to see.. dry sump Euro car.

Ferrari 308 GTB | eBay

13. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #13 red3555gtb, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Myron, go for it.

Great work Rock.....GLWS

14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very nice restoration at RocksAuto but will need very deep pockets.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    $345K for a steel GTB, I would at least want the correct antenna switch and a more proper radio.
    Nice work!! Superb in black.

16. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    i checked out the fyak site with all the pictures. apparently that is the correct switch claude. the quote from someone else asking the same question is as follows:

The antenna switch is correct for early 308 gtb's, if you have a look at the factory brochure you will see that switch. Twenty years ago I almost replaced that switch on a customers car but relalised it was the correct one, I call it the non pill version.

17. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    p.s......now i am curious. i am going to go through my bins tonight and see what I have.

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The subtle differences between Euro and US cars .... What a sickness we all have for such details on these cars.

If our wives only knew how great we all are with these details over our anniversaries, birthdays etc .... LOL

19. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    well big red........i am an exception as i remember. what's her names birthday is on the same day i picked up my first brand new car....it was a 1981 dodge mirada....same month and day....she was beautiful....burgundy outside with a half landau roof, maroon velour interior, first car i ever got with AC, white wall tires, wow cruise control and intermittent wipers, slant 6 engine...just absolutely gorgeous and i will never forget her. i had a sticker on the back that said 'do not touch unless you are naked'. so see i do remember! anniversary is also easy to remember as it was the last working day in dec. at time when the spousal income was included for the period of marriage to year end only, and the following year it changed to entire calender year.....so i know the day, month, and year.
    i believe you were being presumptuous as not all guys are as you are describing.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    V, this is for you - show your wife, she will appreciate how special you are for remembering.

Most men follow the below pattern ;) myself included at times :D

21. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    Inspector: "Don't worry sir, we will find your car..."

I like that one. Very funny.

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Martha Bachman took a long long long look at the red GTB that Rocco did before. Someone grumbled about the price charged for some tubing with the correct lettering on another restoration project he did. However that item was what the car needed to be restored correctly. If Rocco does a car you can have some confidence it is correct...

23. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    Why the sudden interest in GTB's? They are much uglier in my opinion. Is it becauae of the lower production numbers?

24. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Uglier, I don't think so...

25. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario