BC might fix my pet peeve | FerrariChat

BC might fix my pet peeve

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zudnic, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'll admit I tend to drive fast. Despite this, I've never received a speeding ticket in Canada. (knock on wood). On the highway, I use the right lane and only pass in the left. I also never pass on the right. Left lane hogs, its mostly Albertans who don't move over, annoy me. Finally it looks like the province is going to go after the hogs.

Province to target left-lane huggers - Abbotsford News

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    LONG overdue. Not only does this unneccessarily cause traffic, it raises my blood pressure. :p

Highway 1 is pretty much 3 lanes all the way down to Chiliwack (further even?). There is NO reason one should be in the left lane driving BELOW the speed limit.

3. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    The root of the problem, is the speed limits being set too low. Most of the times, like when merging or change lane, you'd need speed to avoid accident. But with the crazy rule that would seize cars going 40kmh over, most people are merging or changing lane with one eye doing shoulder check and the other eye looking at the speedometer. You know, both eyes have to work together to yield maximum result.
    If you are driving in downtown, most bicycles are actually over car's speed limit. And we all know that the most dangerous drivers out there are those distracted : driving while using phones or GPS. But the law won't rob their personal property. Speed is being used as a scape goat here, and source of revenue, a semi-legal one.
    And worse, more than half of the cars being robbed away happened after 10 pm. Cops seldom do fishing at intersections with many accidents and many distracted drivers. They prefer bear-fishing, which is late night where there are almost zero cars or pedestrians on the road, then 40kmh over limit feels like bicycle speed.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It would be nice if highway one was 3 lanes to beyond Chilliwack. 3 lanes ends in Langley and its two passenger commuter lane. Then starts again near Abbotsford. Its only a few miles in Abbotsford that it is 3 lanes. But its not commuter lane. From Abbotsford to Chilliwack, the limit was raised to 110km/h. Believe the goal is to make 3lanes from Chilliwack to Vancouver and raise the limits.

If people would follow the keep right rule, we could raise the limits again. Raised limit and 3 lanes all the way into Vancouver, it would raise the property values in the Fraser Valley. Would make Vancouver an easy commute. Currently we are about 40% to 80% lower in real estate prices over the greater Vancouver area.

The 40km/h over rule is crazy, when the highway is empty of traffic.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

A couple of years ago I did a motorcycle ride from California to Alaska. BC had the best roads by far of the entire trip and also had the lowest speed limits.
    I could just not understand why a beautiful, well designed and maintained rural highway would have a 75km speed limit. We felt perfectly happy and safe doing 75mph on them, sometimes more.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    We just raised limits in most area's, even though its still low. Government wants to raise them more, hence they want to enforce the keep right rule.

We'll never see autobahn like limits but most of our rural roads can be safely driven at 80mph or a little more.