Toronto area shop? | FerrariChat

Toronto area shop?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tor328, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tor328

tor328 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shaheen
    Can somebody let me know some independent shop recommendations in the Toronto area for a 328 engine service + while-you-in-there stuff?

I see Rocks, Gran Turismo (north of the GTA) as being mentioned here. Any others? Pros/cons?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Dave , welcome to the chat !

Without prejudice, I strongly recommend you "call"and "visit" each of the shops for yourself, and have them explain to you why they should earn your business.

There are a few choices in our area, and many of us have settled into what works best for us as owners.

There is no right or wrong answer to where there is pros/cons ...it all depends on the car you have and at what level you want and expect.

Ultimately, you will pay the bill, you have decide which is best for you.

Many of us have already decided where we go, and we all seem to be a tad different.

Good luck !

3. bigred2171

bigred2171 Karting

Sep 14, 2008
    Montreal,Quebec
    Daytona in Woodbridge.
    You wont regret.

4. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    I like Sam's Garage in Markham. Sam owns a nice Euro 328 and a 308, and they've been servicing European cars forever.

They're nice people too, honest people.

29 Laidlaw Blvd.
    Markham

905-294-8617

5. tor328

tor328 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shaheen
    Thanks guys. How about any shops that do more than mechanic work, say light restoration work? Any recommendations there?

6. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Rock's is good for the restoration stuff.. not cheap, but the work I've seen him do looks great. He's probably the best bang for the buck - he knows the 308/328 inside out.

What kind of light resto stuff do you need to do? Don't be afraid to tackle projects yourself (assuming you have time!). I know I would.

Otherwise, if you need interior stuff - you can go to shops like Diamond Auto Trim in Aurora - again, not cheap - but they do great work. Gary is more than familiar with Ferrari.

7. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    I will echo Myron's recommendation for Rock's and Gary @ Diamond Trim. You may also try Daytona Auto on Highway 7 in Woodbridge.
    Chris

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just the restoration? I've heard excellent reviews on his major service.....

9. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    agreed.. but for that I'd go to Sam's Garage.

10. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Hi Myronx19 - I've been in the area for 20yrs, and a Ferrari owner for 15+ yrs now and this is the first time I'm hearing of this shop? Do they service your ferrari's ? How many ferrari's does he service ? I've been a member of the FCA club for decades now, and this name has never come up at a club event for Ferrari / lambo service.

I'm assuming this is their website, which looks great,but there is no mention of Ferrari service/ expertise on their site compared to other ferrari facility service centers in the GTA

Which Ferrari did you service their and what did they do for you ?

Sams Garage

11. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Rocks, if you can get in.
    His prices are great and reasonable, from restoration work to minor service items.
    Currently has a Lusso, a few BBs 365 and 512, 328, 599 etc all for different levels of work.

12. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

Hi Rick,

All I can say is check them out for yourself! I've sent many of my friends with Ferraris there, and they've been happy. I'll take mine there this summer for the stuff I can't do myself (I wrench my own stuff), but I've had my X1/9 there many times before for whatever I couldn't do.

I know you prefer Rock's, and that's great. The OP was asking for "other" shops, and I have no problem in suggesting Sam's, I've been going there for nearly 18 years. I bought my Alfa Romeo Milano from them, had it serviced there (and trust me, it spent a lot of time on a hoist - LOL!). I also bought my race car from them.

I'm not trying to change your mind, only offer an option to the OP.

quote>>I see Rocks, Gran Turismo (north of the GTA) as being mentioned here. Any others? Pros/cons?

Myron

13. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    For race or rally (Targa NewFoundland) fabrication, suspension, ....4 Star Motorsports or Can Jam Motorsports.

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Hey Myron,

Which Ferrari did you buy ?

15. NICO R

NICO R Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Woodbridge
    Full Name:
    Alex A
    Only a few shop have factory trained Tec's and factory software to work on these new cars. Not many shop have SD1, SD2, SD3 new computers. To work on the old cars is one thing and work on cars that you need a laptop is a different ball game. Always make sure the place you go to has the qualification....... not just good coffee.....

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    are so lucky to have a choice of shops. I sent mine to Brett. an 02 Maserati had to be shipped to Chicago last Friday. sad but a lot of real crooks here

17. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi Myron, thanks for the explanation. I'm a fan of the free market , and competiton. Choice only benefits everyone, and in competiton the best excel in everything. I had no idea of this shop, and their website didn't mention they were in this exotic car space. Great to know they are venturing out into this market.

My cousin also owns a garage and has been in business for almost 30yrs, if I had to go to a garage I would go to him first perhaps;) But I do not want my cars on a hoist for a long time like you did with your Alfa :D .... I want them on my hoist in my garage ;)

If we are talking about fixing ferrari's like cars, then many garage's have that capability, heck, many people on this very site do it daily, that doesn't mean I would use them to fix my car though :D These cars do not require black magic to maintain, or service, BUT, many owners I have met over my journey have a flavor for the details of the cars that enter cavallino/ pebble beach type of shows.

There is a difference between having a car fixed/serviced to just drive for ice cream, as opposed to an owner that won't sleep at night knowing he has the wrong "non period correct" radio in his car. The OP who started this thread asked for light restoration work, not sure at what level your garage recommendation is at, or knows ? Hence why I asked for your feedback in who has sent there ferrari there and what they did.

I personally place a lot of importantance on voice of the customer in life experiences, I'm assuming you would be the same. Honestly, would you recommend a resturant to someone as being the best experience without eating there ? Of course not. My shop of choice is the same thing for me. My dining experience at my shop of choice has been exceptional ;)

It all depends at what level people want there cars, some are perfectly fine to fix them and drive and not really care if the correct screws or hoses were used , as long as they were changed and the car runs without catching fire, nothing wrong with that at all. Owners will decide where they spend their money. Make no mistake it all depends at what level an owner wants a car , I would love to have a fully restored brand new classic like some, but my wallet dictates otherwise ;)

See you soon !

18. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    +100, strongly recommended

19. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Does Daytona make good coffee?

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is an excellent post. Well done, Rick.

21. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Rick, the OP first asked about engine service, not light resto work. That request came later and I suggested Rocks.

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Myron, i already have a wife at home, I don't need another one nit picking at me :p

23. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
  24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Paul Newman has taken care of mine for the past 6 years and does fantastic work. His shop is located in Barrie and it's well worth the trip to see him.

25. Tdb1

Tdb1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Tony D
    Go see Alex at Daytona. He's a great guy.