Buying a Place Vancouver | FerrariChat

Buying a Place Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 3604u, Apr 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Anyone knows where is a good place to buy an apartment that is safe . My older sister is moving there and I am just asking go see if I can gather some information for her .

Something aimed for middle income with 2-3 rooms .

Thanks Guys

2. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Most areas in Vancouver and the surrounding munipalities, e.g., Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, and Burnaby are safe. Many choices in apartments depending on her interests and desired demographics. I've lived in the Yaletown (downtown peninsula on the map) area for 11 years in a 2 bedroom condo, having moved from a single family he in North Vancouver. My wife and I (retired, mid-60's) really like the vibrancy and convenience to shops, parks, the water, etc. but the area and its high-rise developments have their fans and detractors as well. As to prices, you might check the on-line multiple listings at ww.realtor.ca
    Jon

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe condos in the downtown area of Vancouver are on the expensive side. Especially over two bedrooms. Just on the outskirts of downtown, around W16th and oak, is an fairly safe area and condos are more reasonable.

example: # 307 929 W 16TH AV, Vancouver, British Columbia   V5Z1T3 - V1101549 | Realtor.ca

Its tough to find more then two bedrooms in all of Vancouver. My aunt lives in the area of the above listing. She is 89, doesn't drive. Shops and restaurants are an easy walk for her, even after breaking a hip last year. Its a nice little neighborhood, with some pretty good restaurants, etc.

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Hi Jon,
    Many thanks for sharing the information .

Is Whiterock a good place ?

5. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Thanks for sharing and my sister would be driving as she is a Behaviour consultant and has to travel I belive .

6. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    White rock is nice except in real-world traffic getting to the downtown core is time-consuming.

Be careful - There is white rock proper ( just a few square miles ) and then there is all of the surrounding area of Surrey that people call White rock for greater prestige ?. ( rightly or wrongly surrey is constantly in the headlines for shootings etc. From my personal experience It's not as bad as the media makes it out to be, but it's also not as nice as downtown or west side.

Downtown Vancouver and the surrounding west side are quite nice but far more expensive....but I guess like anything else you get what you pay for... Prime location comes with a price tag. From my personal experience with these areas I highly recommend it because the convenience safety walk ability

7. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I am asking her to buy in downtown but some of the maintainence fee's are crazy ex .

Maybe a townhouse and rent some rooms out.

8. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think "Crazy Canuck" puts it well. I generally like White Rock and Crescent Beach areas but more for single family homes than apartments, although there are apartments on the top of the ridge overlooking the beach are and ocean. With the steep hill from the ridge to the beach, I wouldn't consider White Rock very walkable. And, I wouldn't want to commute into Vancouver or even YVR. Yes, Surrey makes the news for shootings and gangs, but Surrey is also a huge municipality geographically with many neighborhoods and socio-economic diversity.

Jon

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    White Rock has pretty heavy traffic. But its safer then the rest of Surrey. Smaller town then White Rock, a little closer to Vancouver is Tsawwassen. Good restaurants, coffee shops, grocery shopping. Nice beach area. Very little to no crime. Houses start at about $800k to well over $1million. Its known as a wealthy area. I grew up there. My elementary school class had 5 kids who's parents where dentists. Condos are still reasonable with ample parking.

Property Search

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Id say if they want in downtown Vancouver, the best area is Coal Harbour. Several o.k. to nice hotels in the area. Great restaurants and shopping. Plus most buildings have ample parking. Most condos have good water views of the harbour (good for resale). My lawyer is in the area and every time I visit, see the most exotic cars in town around there.

For realtor.ca the postal code to search is V6A 1W7 or here is the map with listings: Property Search link might not work.

11. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Coal Harbour certainly has some great condo towers, views, amenities, and is very convenient to downtown, the financial district and Stanley Park. Personally, I find it feels closed-in and dark, as compared to Yaletown or the south-side of False Creek / Olympic Village areas. But I would think Coal Harbour might be quieter than Yaletown, which has Pacific Ave / Blvd and Richards traffic. West Van might also be a quieter and less expensive consideration, although the buildings generally have fewer services and facilties, such as concierge staff and recreational facilities, compared to Coal Harbour, Yaletown, and Olympic Village areas. Of course, fewer services and facilities translates to lower strata fees. Many choices!

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Check out West Vancouver. It's quieter than Downtown. 15 minutes drive to downtown if no traffic, but can be 30 minutes or even 45 when peak hours. (They should build a tunnel below Lions Gate).
    The maintenance fee of apartments in downtown(basically anywhere in Vancouver) is like double mortgage. Why don't consider a house?
    Forget about Whiterock. That place is nice, but it's out of town. Unless your work area is around there.
    Better don't live in Surrey unless you have to.
    For downtown area, Coal Harbour is definitely the best. But some apartments can be 4-very expensive million (One,Two harbour Green, etc). This price you better get a house. Kitsilano area is also very nice.
    Don't worry about safety, anywhere in Vancouver is very safe. What you have to watch out are :
    - Legal car robbery : your car will be seized and your account will be robbed for about over 3K in total if you drive 40kmh over speed limit. Unfortunately, the robbery happens the most during late night, when there are zero pedestrian and no traffic at all, and you tend to drive faster. IMO, this is part of the revenue collection program.
    - Self declared police : There are many people (especially in North Vancouver) who don't understand about "mind your own business". They will spend time to tell you "ding-dong, you're wrong", or excessively press their honk at you; When you drive too slow or too fast, or your Ferrari is being too loud (even lawnmowers, buses and trucks are much louder) or stop a while in a spot that you could be fined for stopping. But just simply ignore them.

13. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Lol. How true about North Van. So many self proclaimed outdoor types is likely the reason for the righteousness. There's a certain pride for nature and outdoors, especially in North Van.

Anywhere on the North Shore is convenient if there is no traffic but these days, how often does that occur??? I hate traffic jams and bridges, so needless to say that I no longer get around much. Lol. Noteworthy, is that I will make a special trip to North Van for the Italian car day, if it happens this year!

For elderly people or perhaps more mature, I'd recommend Kerrisdale on the West side. Quite quaint and lots of neighbourly things to do with other older/ mature persons.

Cheers
    FN

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I was in the coal harbour area yesterday. We went to the Urban Fare grocery store for lunch, they are like Whole Foods Market. Nice lunch, and walking around the water front was nice scenery. I was in shorts and T-shirt, it was that nice. Saw many nice cars, from Rolls Royce Phantom and a ghost, to a McLaren 12C, a couple Bentley GTC's and a Gallardo and interesting a chrome 458. I would live in this area, and I'm now a country person. I don't see the value in a buying a $500k box, when you can buy land out here and have total privacy. But being near downtown was just a great vibe!