How much 3 party liability insurance do you carry on your Ferrari or other cars? | FerrariChat

How much 3 party liability insurance do you carry on your Ferrari or other cars?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by crazy canuck, Aug 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #1 crazy canuck, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Beyond the traditional reason to carry 3rd party liability insurance ( possibility of injuring someone by accident in a motor vehicle accident), I am intrigued about what limits fellow F-chatters carry.

Primarily - due to the "profiling" that likely takes place when an incident might take place with a Ferrari or other high end mark.. i.e. not all - but some less than honest people might think they have hit the jackpot because of the make of the car you drive... Someone's less likely to think they hit any jackpot if you're driving a new Hyundai Genesis that might cost more that a 328 but it's the perception.

QUESTIONS:
    Does this influence you to carry different amounts of 3rd party liability insurance on your Ferraris or other high end cars out of fear of being targeted - in the event of some sort of an accident?

Please state the amount of 3rd party liability you carry and the province you insure in.

ME:

Amount: I used to carry 1 million, but upped to 2 million in 3rd party liability a few years back

Province: BC

Thanks

2. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I have carried $2 million and an umbrella policy for $5 million for the past 10+ years.

3. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Is the umbrella policy under your home insurance ? -- and does this give you 2+5 = total of 7 mill coverage ?

also, are you in BC ? because our only choice for mandatory insurance is ICBC, and they only offer a max of 5 mill

4. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    In Ontario, I carry $2M on my Fiat.. and also $2M on my daily driver.

Accidents are very expensive, regardless of what you drive.

5. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    You are right -- accidents can be very expensive.. I wonder how much more expensive they are made because of a less than honest person's perception of a high end car's involvement, and their opportunity that may afford them.

P.S. that's a nice X1/9 in your profile pic.. I always liked those

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Buy the biggest umbrella policy you can afford that starts where your car insurance stops. I know guys with $25m.

7. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

I'm no expert, but if you cause an accident and someone dies - you could be driving a Hyundai Pony and you'd still be deep into $$$. But you do have a point, in court - perhaps it may be assumed that you drive your Ferrari like a maniac and you willfully caused the accident/dangerous driving/reckless driving/etc..

AFAIK, 3rd party liability covers injuries/death/property damage (but does property damage mean the other car?!? I asked my insurance company, and they said that 3rd party liability doesn't cover the other car, but hit a building - yes, it covers that).

So, I wonder about the guy driving the Dodge Dart who hit the Ferrari F40 last summer in Ontario. That was a very expensive accident.. The F40 was clipped by the Dart, and lots of front end damage. What if you hit something even more expensive?!? yikes!!

And thanks :) my X1/9 is fun, I drive it a lot and have had it for 26 years. Best yet, I pay $165/year to insure it with $2M liability!! (Classic car insurance - appraised for $12,500 full replacement value)

8. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Good points...you never know what could happen! Wow $165/year! that's amazing!

9. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    This is probably solid advice -- Im going to call my home insurance broker to find out about an umbrella policy.

I just wonder what would happen if there were 21 insurance companies involved in a claim -- the auto insurance covering you to say $2 mill and the umbrella policy taking over to $10 million...Would that set up an environment where you'd have 2 parties fighting each other not to cover you ?

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I think 3rd party definitely covers other cars' damage. But sometimes it's hard to tell who's at fault. That's why I install cameras inside my car. I never buy insurance for my cars, but huge 3rd party. Maximum in BC is 5 million. IMO, this is a must-have, because when accident happened, what costs the most is not damages but injuries.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I use the same insurer for both.

12. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I thought that ICBC offered up to 10 million 3rd party, no ?

Also, I just spoke with an autoplan broker, and they told me that if you have 4 cars, and you have a 2million 3rd party liability policy on each one, then you are carrying 4X2= 8 million liability policy, and that you could invoke all of these policies for coverage, even if an incident or accident only involved one of them.

Anyone know if this is true ?

13. crazy canuck

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast

I just noticed I wrote " 21 insurance companies" I meant 2 insurance companies.

I think that's a wise move to use the same company for both -- the only problem with where I live in British Columbia is that we have to buy our basic car insurance from the government, and there are caps on how much 3rd party one can buy.

So we end up having to deal with a second company if we want more coverage by default...thereby raising the possibility of a dispute between companies in the event of a claim.

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #14 zudnic, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    I do max coverage from ICBC. Thought about adding additional coverage with a private carrier, but believe its a scam like travel health insurance. The reason I did max coverage. Rented cars here in BC to drive to my place in the states. Didn't want the mileage on my cars. If you rent in BC and are a BC resident, ICBC puts the claim on your insurance if you get in an accident with a rental car. In BC most injury claims are capped. But in the states, they can get millions for little things with the right lawyer. So I max more for the rental car coverage and American driving.