FYI buying in BC | FerrariChat

FYI buying in BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zudnic, Oct 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  2. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The "free" report will only describe the status, e.g., "normal". The free report is a good start. The "ICBC claims history" is a separate report for $20 and only covers claim payments made by ICBC, i.e., it does not include claims payments by other insurers operating in the province. In addition to the "ICBC history", you can use a direct link from ICBC to purchase a "CarProof Verified BC" report for $36.45 which includes ICBC, other insurers in BC, and out-of-province (including US) information. I think the CarProof report available through the ICBC link might be discounted from the cost through CarProof itself. As with all these reports, you need to be mindful of their limitations.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Yep, you do have to pay for the full report. I just renewed my truck. They'll be able to tell if its been in an accident if registered in B.C. All cars carry min ICBC and all accidents get reported to them. If added coverage with another company, they won't know what the other insurance paid out or repaired. They just know there was an accident. If ICBC paid, then you know how much and what exactly was repaired.

Its still better then the other provinces or even U.S. states.

4. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1 to this being a good service and better than most other jurisdictions. Saskatchewan's SGI and Manitoba's MPI schemes might have similar services.

I'm not sure that all BC accidents get reported to ICBC, e.g., a single vehicle accident for which the police do not attend, but certainly the vast majority would be recorded by ICBC. I agree that if ICBC paid a claim it would know what was repaired, replaced, repainted and the hours of labor required. Unfortunately, I don't think a prospective buyer can get that detailed information other than, possibly, through a freedom of information inquiry with the consent of the owner at the time of the damage payment.

On a similar note, until the demise of AirCare in 2014, you could access the emissions testing results for free with either the VIN or BC registration number. I tried to check today, in the event they retained the records. The link just took me to Translink and I found nothing that linked to test results. Too bad. That was a good service, as well.

Jon

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I noticed that too, although when I checked, it was the day after Aircare was shut down - Jan. 1st 2015 :) !

FMoV had a 348 for sale a couple of years ago that I was interested in and I looked up the Aircare history for it. It had all of the reports from day one, which included pass/fail results plus the recorded mileage at time of testing. Very, very useful. Although that info is offline now, I'm sure it's sitting on a server somewhere...