Rock's Automotive Restoration: LAWSUIT | FerrariChat

Rock's Automotive Restoration: LAWSUIT

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Nuvolari, Jan 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I am posting here to provide clarification on statements I made in a recent post in the Canada section (specifically post #27):

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/canada/480596-toronto-area-shop.html

Note: Because the content of this thread goes beyond the scope of the original thread I commented in, it is being treated as a stand alone thread.

Shortly after I had written in the above post about a lawsuit I pursued against Rock’s Automotive Restoration, I received a letter from their lawyer taking issue with my description of the litigation as a ‘success’. The suggestion was that my statement was potentially defamatory since it implied I was vindicated at a trial overseen by a judge. In light of this development I now feel compelled to provide clarification on this and other matters.

My litigation with Rock’s Automotive Restoration lasted a little over three years during which time I self-represented and Rock’s Auto was represented by the senior partner of a respected local law firm (I can only imagine the final bill given the work involved). With only days to go before the trial, Rock’s Auto unconditionally accepted the terms of a settlement which my brother and I had set out . We were eventually asked to agree to a non-disclosure agreement by Rocco’s attorney but rejected this immediately.

It is in this context that I describe our outcome as successful. We were not vindicated by a court but we were able to dictate to Rock’s the terms of a settlement that were acceptable to us, we achieved a result that was orders of magnitude better than what was on offer at the time of settlement, we retained the right to discuss the litigation publicly, and we managed to do this while avoiding the uncertainties of a trial. Perhaps not a ‘success’ as defined by a lawyer, but still a great result in our view.

I had also in my original post described as ‘shocking’ some of the things I had discovered about Rock’s Auto in my pre-trial research. Although not part of his attorney’s complaint I will use this post to provide more background on my use of this characterization.

Our research revealed that no one at Rock’s Automotive is licensed to practice as a mechanic in the Province of Ontario, let alone has Ferrari factory training . Moreover, with the exception of one person at Rock’s Automotive (not Rocco Solmito) there is no one licensed to do auto body repair or refinishing work. To those who are unaware, both these trades are mandatory compulsory trades in Ontario meaning that they are legally required in order to practice in these professions. It does not matter if the car is old or new, if the work is simple repair or more in depth restoration, if you work for a living on a vehicle plated for the road these rules apply. For those who are wondering, I have verified this with the highest levels of the trades regulatory body here in Ontario.

In light of these discoveries, among others that I do not have the room to list here, I believe that my use of the word ‘shocking’ is not misplaced any more than if I had discovered that my doctor or lawyer who I had known for years was not licensed to practice. We should take it as a given, I think, that the people we entrust to work on our cars have the minimum legally required certifications.

If anyone has any questions about any of the above or wants to know more about Rock’s Auto and our experiences with them please contact me directly. We have retained all of our photos, reams of research materials and case law references from our pre-trial work, and will be happy to share items not covered by confidentiality requirements with anyone who asks.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Typically in settlements, whether it's a divorce or otherwise, agreements are satisfied before court dates so life can move on for both parties in an amicable fashion for both parties. Which sounds like you both accomplished.

Though you say you had a favorable outcome that was a great result for you ( which is great ) your post on this now indicates quite the opposite unfortately.

3. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Red,

Obviously when friendships are ruined and the disagreement takes on a public face no one wins. In this case, considering we started off being told to pound sand and kept at it for over three years against a great lawyer I think we have reason to be pleased, if that word is ever appropriate in cases such as this.

Robert as you know is more direct. I'm more sotto voce. Still the facts are what they are and the community benefits when experiences like this are shared. Regretfully we don't seem to be the only ones having problems.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

NGooding likes this.
  4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Well said Paul " when friendships are ruined" this is probably the most disheartening part.

As you and I both know , every business ( if in business long enough ) will have disgruntled, angry , disappointed ( insert any other word here ) client, or clients - it's impossible to avoid, whether you are "Apple" , A home builder , or a plumber. I'm very disappointed that it didn't work out better for all parties involved.

I'm sadded mostly that it doesn't sound like you are still happy even though you completed a beautiful looking car. Not pleased for both sides of this story - truly a shame it comes to this.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Where is the original thread? Can't find...

6. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Too bad you were not vinidicated by court.

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    interesting

8. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    It should be noted that only "safety" related items require the licence of a certified mechanic in Ontario.

For example, quick lube shops or muffler shops don't necessarily need a certified tech, as long as they aren't doing brakes/suspension work and the like.

Most smaller shops only have 1 licensed tech and a bunch of apprentices doing the work. As long as somebody has their ticket on the wall (in theory, approving all work before it's returned to the customer) and they are insured, everything is legal.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    rnelson you are correct and our research supports what you posted. It is however worthwhile to make some clarifications on the general process in Ontario:

- It is ok for a shop to have one certified mechanic and apprentices working alongside them so long as the certified mechanic inspects the work before the vehicle leaves the shop. If you have any doubt as to whether your mechanic is licensed or not you can look them up on the Ontario College of Trades website using the following link:

https://tmsportal.collegeoftrades.ca/web/ocot-public-services-v3/public-registry

- You are are only allowed to commercially work on cars for a very limited period of time (I can't remember the exact time but it is much less than 12 months) and even then you must work under the supervision of a registered mechanic. After that grace period if you intend on continuing to work on cars for money you must enter into the apprenticeship program en route to getting your ticket.

- Motor vehicle safety certificates may only be issued by registered mechanics and the vehicle inspection must take place at the location where that mechanic is registered. A registered mechanic cannot do for instance an 'off site' certification of a car and have it be legal.

While an official mechanical license is required for work on safety items to remain legal, I have been told that there are other considerations beyond this. As we all know insurance companies are quite good at trying anything to get out of paying out claims. In the case of claims against Ferraris the dollar amounts are always higher so they are extra careful during their claims investigations to find an out before cutting a big cheque. Certainly the discovery that a servicing mechanic is not licensed cannot help your case when trying to settle a claim; definitely not a situation I would want to find myself in.

Furthermore when it is an insurance company deciding as to whether a claim is approved or not then the issue of what is a 'safety item' like suspension or brakes becomes more clouded. Imagine a fictitious situation where a Ferrari whose timing belt is improperly installed by an un-licensed mechanic causes an engine failure in the middle of an intersection causing an accident. All of a sudden the timing belt becomes a safety item as it is required to keep the car safely moving through traffic. Again not a situation I'd want to have to wade myself out of especially when lawyers and insurance companies get involved.

10. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Rob, interesting your writing. I am away for the next 3-4 weeks. During this time I am going to have to rethink my position as I am starting to incline towards filing suit against Rocco and rock's auto. I will send you a pm to discuss offline. In interim I have dropped a line to my counsel to interim review your points and my records. I have had a number of individuals email me with their own experiences and I now see a common thread.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just administrative note, Rocco's account has been unbanned for several days now to give him opportunity to give his side of story. I'm not going to allow him the opportunity more than another week.

12. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #12 Jamie H, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Having been in the Automotive repair business in Ontario for the past 38 years and as a member of the Ontario College of Trades I wish to comment solely on the regulations regarding our compulsory trade.

In Ontario all Compulsory Trades are regulated by the Ontario College Of Trades Apprenticeship Act and the Motive Power Sector subsection is 277/11.

Subsection 277/11 outlines what work is included within the Scope of Practice of each trade within the Motive Power Sector. It also states which work may be performed without a Certificate of Qualification. Here is the excerpt from the act:

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the following work is not included in the scope of practice for the trades listed in that subsection:

1. Removing or replacing wheels and rims on motor vehicles.
    2. Removing or replacing any of the following in motor vehicles, motorcycles, motor coaches, trucks or truck-trailers:
    i. auto glass,
    ii. exhaust systems,
    iii. radiators, cooling system hoses and thermostats,
    iv. engine drive belts,
    v. horns,
    vi. light bulbs, sealed beam units and lenses,
    vii. fuses, batteries and battery cables,
    viii. radios,
    ix. shock absorbers or springs that do not require the realignment of the front or rear suspension,
    x. oil filters, air filters and fuel filters, and
    xi. spark plugs.
    3. Changing the engine, transmission, differential or cooling system fluids in motor vehicles, motorcycles, motor coaches, trucks or truck-trailers.
    4. Replenishing fluids in the hydraulic systems of motor vehicles, motorcycles, motor coaches, trucks or truck-trailers.
    5. Repairing and balancing tires and wheels on motor vehicles, motorcycles, motor coaches, trucks or truck-trailers.
    6. Lubricating motor vehicles, motorcycles, motor coaches, trucks or truck-trailers.
    7. Reconditioning and rebuilding internal combustion engines and associated components, power trains, brake system components and suspension system components. O. Reg. 277/11, s. 2 (2).

To be clear here is the balance of the regulation as it relates to the trade of Automotive Service Technician:

Automotive service technician

10. The scope of practice for the trade of automotive service technician includes engaging in the servicing, repairing, overhauling, diagnosing or inspecting of motor vehicles by doing any of the following:
    1. Disassembling, adjusting, repairing and reassembling engines, transmissions, clutches, rear ends, differentials, brakes, drive shafts, axles and other assemblies.
    2. Testing for and correcting faulty alignment of wheels, axles, frames and steering mechanisms.
    3. Diagnosing faults in, repairing or replacing suspension systems, including shock absorbers and spring assemblies.
    4. Diagnosing faults in, installing, repairing and removing ignition, charging and starting systems, panel instruments, wiring and other electrical and electronic systems and equipment.
    5. Diagnosing faults in, repairing and adjusting fuel systems, engine management systems and emission control systems.
    6. Diagnosing faults in, installing, inspecting, maintaining and removing air-conditioning and refrigeration and heating systems. O. Reg. 277/11, s. 10.

Not wishing to be critical but simply clear as to the regulation:

" You are are only allowed to commercially work on cars for a very limited period of time (I can't remember the exact time but it is much less than 12 months) and even then you must work under the supervision of a registered mechanic. After that grace period if you intend on continuing to work on cars for money you must enter into the apprenticeship program en route to getting your ticket."

No one may work in any compulsory trade for more than 3 month unless they are a Registered Apprentice.

My apprenticeship totaled 9600 hours (10,000 hrs was the starting point but I received a 400 hour credit for previous experience in Secondary School) which took me almost 5 years to complete. The Automotive Service Technician apprenticeship (AST) was and still is the longest apprenticeship in Ontario.

FYI - There are 158 Apprenticable trades in Ontario, 22 of which are compulsory. Other compulsory automotive related trades are:

Alignment and Brakes Technician▲
    Auto Body and Collision Damage Repairer▲
    Auto Body Repairer▲
    Automotive Electronic Accessory Technician▲
    Automotive Service Technician▲
    Fuel and Electrical Systems Technician▲
    Motorcycle Technician▲
    Transmission Technician▲
    Truck and Coach Technician▲
    Truck-Trailer Service Technician▲

Should you have any questions regarding the rules or regulations as they apply in the Province of Ontario please feel free to ask.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow it never ceases to amaze me as to the background and knowledge of some of our fellow F-Chatters. Thank you for the clarification Jamie H as to the specifics of the rules in Ontario. I reiterate that I would not want to have to explain to my insurance adjuster if my mechanic was found to be unlicensed. What a mess that could be :(

14. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I am sure it wouldn't go well for either the owner or the "technican"

The only other comment I can make is many years ago we were involved in a suit in small claims court. The party who had made claim brought in his "expert" witness to testify on his behalf. The witness began to testify and when he gave the name of the shop he worked in I mentioned to my counsel that it was my belief that the shop that he worked in employed no certified technicians. After giving his testimony my lawyer asked the witness to state his qualifications to which he stated "well I dont have an official license, if thats what you mean" to which the judge stated "Do you mean to tell me that you don't hold a mechanic's license"?
    to which the fellow stated "No but.." the judge cut him off, told him to leave the stand as he wasn't qualified to testify as an expert. The judge then instructed the court reporter to strike the evidence given from the court record and he the asked the Plaintiff if he had any more unqualified individuals to testify on his behalf.

15. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Well, it has been a week, actually I believe a little over a week.

I would have really liked to have heard from the horse's mouth directly, if he is a licensed mechanic or not, and if he is when he obtained his license.

I know Rocco advised me verbally he was a licensed mechanic and I took that at face value. I know now, reading through the various disclosure material, he is not licensed. Explains in hindsight why no certifications on shop wall. It explains now why the heads were substandard, the rings were incorrect, and so on. Would have really liked to have had my faith restored somewhat, that at least in the area of licensing Rocco had not lied to me. To me it is the same thing as a medical surgeon performing surgery and the patient finding out halfway through the procedure that the doctor is not licensed to practice medicine.

16. GRACEHMS

GRACEHMS Rookie

Sep 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    Shame. I'm hoping to pick up a 355 in the next few years and this shop is less than a 1km walk from my home. That would have been convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surge74 likes this.
  17. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    I am currently having work done on my Ferrari Mondial t by Rock's Auto. I've been quite pleased to date. The team seems dedicated to their craft. I would recommend them.

18. BruBon

BruBon Rookie

Aug 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    .....that's because you haven't been dealing with him that long. For your sake I hope you'll be saying the same thing years from now. There is an evident disparity between those who praise him and those of us who criticize him.

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    For posting this thread. This gives me a better reason to go after Brett. I am sure he does not have any legal business papers as he was never a mechanic. His two helpers. Who knows. I will have to spend at least $35,000 to go after this crook. Vince what law firm are you using. I need a contact, please

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    With this thread I now understand better why Rocco told me some years ago I couldn't afford a Testarossa. He should have said ''you can't afford to have it maintained by my shop''

Surge74 likes this.
  21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    B.S.

I have known him for over a decade and have used his services exclusively without issue. He has serviced my 308, BB512, Mondial and recently my Countach. I may send him a second Countach as a restoration project.

There is another side to this story which will never be told as there is no point in commencing a debate with someone on the Internet who is determined to smear a reputation.

A complete waste of time.

SamN likes this.
  22. BruBon

BruBon Rookie

Aug 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Bruno

BS?
    You do not know about my misadventure with Rock's. I can paint a very unflattering picture of the fellow but I have bitten my tongue for 4 years in an effort to not publically "smear" him. Although I owe him nothing I would still rather keep the details to myself.

If you are truly interested to know more I will gladly PM you the gory details. Otherwise we will continue to respectfully disagree.

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    These are facts that others need to know. I have posted problems and been told I was wrong. Employees change with quality and time. The owner is responsible. I had the owner obligation for 40 years. I always took care so that the customer never knew. My suppliers were at times awful. Customers need to know

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yup, that's what I'd say too. There's another side to this BUT, I'm not going to tell it.

It's somewhere between "neener-neener" and "I know something you don't know."

IF, and that's a big IF, you know something that will help to protect or repair the reputation of Rock's, and simultaneously destroy the OP's point, then you should go for it.

What's the worst thing that could happen? You save your buddy's reputation? OH, GOD, that would be just awful. Suppose no one believes you? Well, then he's no worse off than when you started.

So, c'mon, dish. Tell us the TRUTH, as you know it. ENLIGHTEN us.

D

25. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    I'm shocked and saddened by the behaviour of some of the people in this thread. People that I know aren't vindictive by nature and should know better. I agree with BigRed. It is a sad day and time in the Canada section.