Inflated Prices? Canada Market | FerrariChat

Inflated Prices? Canada Market

Discussion in 'Canada' started by slayerofsouls, Feb 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    I have been looking for a replacement for my F430. I just find it crazy that 458s are going for 300-400 and a Speciale at 500.

At the 250-400 market - I would pick a 650s, Huracan, Aventador.

I don't understand the Canadian market at the moment. Are these cars even moving at these prices?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I acitally started a similar thread - the CDN dollar is off 35% , hence causing the difference.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/canada/513484-cdn-pricing.html

If you have been shopping lately, you would notice the same sticker shock on your grocery bill....I hear about it every week from my wife.

3. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    When Canadian dollar was up, it took them forever to drop the price. I still remember they gave excuse like we have 2 languages manual book here, which is very very expensive to print (LOL). But when its down, in a matter of minutes prices will go up.
    By the way, Huracan sounds good, but Mclaren is definitely not a good idea. If you don't mind about the look, better go for 911 GT3 RS + Cayman GT4 = $350. Other option is used Aventador. If you really want a Speciale, wait for 488 GTB Speciale released first.
    IMO, turbo is ok for SUV, big sedan, family car, trucks, etc. But NOT for super car.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #4 zudnic, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    We are now basically paying U.S. prices now. Dealers in particular, some are flat out asking for U.S. dollars. Most are converting U.S. market price to CDN and asking that. There is still some deals out but in general we are paying U.S dollar prices for everything. I live closer to the border then town. Its actually faster for me to hit up Safeway in the US, then Safeway here. I'm actually paying about the same, even with exchange on groceries.

5. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    May I ask why a Mclaren is not a good idea?

I was trying to find an 2012 Aventador for around 300k, everything is now at 400k.

6. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    I won't get a turbocharged super car, no matter what. If you are ok with turbo, then should be no problem. I just love the race-car sound. I put on a full system of Novitec on my 458, and it's like mini-F1 everyday. There is no way to make a turbocharged sound like this.
    And don't pay 400 for a 2012 Aventador. It was only 450 brand new back in 2012. I almost bought one if the seller didn't keep asking for premium or wait 5 years.

7. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    I hear your point, thank you. For me I really want to experience more cars, and come to the conclusion you did. I was always on the fence about the 12c, as I didnt feel it to be 2x the car as my 430 or even have close to the road presence despite asking 2x the price :D

Anyways, you are right, I find it absurd that everyone is clinging on to 2012 Aventadors and havent seen it dip below 400.

8. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    What do you think a fair price on a 2012 Aventador would be? Generally speaking. I am not concerned about kms.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    What usually happens with the Canadian market, the prices getting equal and even greater then the U.S. This is normal, in the past you could buy most exotics cheaper in the U.S. even with the lousy exchange rates. Hence even with bad exchange rates, tons of American market cars get imported into Canada. You can even make a little money reselling them in Canada. Dealers here are really a niche business, a place for people with money, to lazy to look for deals in the states and don't want the import hassles. Their bread and butter are also people looking to finance and can't finance a U.S. purchase.

10. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Agreed.... especially in Vancouver where there is currently plenty of $$$ spent on luxury/ exotic cars. Dealers here have been in heaven for quite a while, in terms of easy and quick sales of high priced cars.

11. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Max 350 (low mileage and good options and color). For high mileage, when you resell it later, dealers will offer very low.
    Don't get distracted with the currency. Now it's only usd getting strong alone. Lambo is made in Europe, not US.

12. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    I know Lamborghini Calgary sold a 2012 Aventador for "399,495.00. Cash deal, no trade!" one week ago.

If I could get an aventador between 300-350 it would be a dream come true. I am a driver so mileage isnt that big of an issue to me. But it seems almost impossible to find.

13. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Same thing happens to Pcars here. Was shopping for a 997tt. Lowest price one on the market has an accident history one with higher miles at 83k! Last year same car was in 70s. Dealer straight up admits to basing it on us market pricing. Most of these cars haven't moved either in months..

14. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Why don't you ad in auto trader, looking to buy. I think dealers are buying at standard Canadian price, but trying to sell on USD conversion. Since there are many 997tt on the market, I think some direct seller will contact you. Just watch out for scam.
    I you end-up getting one, change the rear lights to 991, nobody can tell the difference. That's one thing about 911.

15. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    I am constantly hearing from dealers "there is a shortage right now in exotics". I dont buy this. There are so many cars that are just aging on autotrader

I am looking at Huracans, Aventadors, 12c, 650s and 458s and everything has been in inventory for over a month.

16. golden1911

golden1911 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Toronto
    i recently sold a '14 aventador roadster for $465 CAD as an FYI.

17. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Recession is worse in Canada. Prices should reflect but dont. Nothing wrong with dealers trying,just not selling much.Besides the exchange, there is a duty on european cars to import to Canada.You have to pay CASH for a US car,a lot of Canadian cars are leased-thats why you see Porsches and some Ferraris out in January. Thats why I stay away from Canadian used cars.

18. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    There is no recession in Vancouver.

19. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I found an 09. Lease takeover with one year left. Gets here next week

20. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I agree. I see a discrepancy between cars that have been sitting there for ages and what dealers are saying

21. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Congratulation. I ever owned that model (08 cabriolet) for 4 years. Had so much fun with it. Mine was not pdk though. If you get one with pdk, it's more fun.

22. slayerofsouls

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    Whats a good price for a 2015 Huracan approx 8,000 kms and well optioned/

About to pull the trigger.

23. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Must be cheaper than new one, otherwise get a new one.

24. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I've never met a rich economist, stock analyst or money manager. Do you know why they don't get rich? They don't know how to create wealth. They don't notice a recession until 18 months after it began.

25. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, they can be pretty rich since they (usually) still get paid :)

Also, safety in a herd. As long as everyone else is going up / down (or getting calls wrong) it doesn't matter.

You can run a fund and through luck of place or timing, be the beneficiary of a huge swing up in assets and be credited and rewarded.... but if the funds go down dramatically, or if you fail to notice a crash coming, you don't get hit on the downside.

It is a "heads I win, tails you lose" setup.