Garage Heat Alarm - looking for info | FerrariChat

Garage Heat Alarm - looking for info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by myronx19, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #1 myronx19, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I want to get a battery powered heat alarm for my garage. Part of my house sits directly on the garage, and I typically stay with my car for a few minutes after I've put it back in there for the night - "just in case"

So far I haven't been able to find any available (9V battery type, not hardwired to AC - and must contain a buzzer - not hardwired to an alarm panel)

A smoke detector isn't a great idea in there - my car puffs a bit on startup.

Anyone ever see these in Canada? Otherwise, Amazon UK has them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Interesting, I personally never thought about it as my master sits ontop of my garage as well. I have all the garage doors open for a while , I don't notice an issue after my drives. Is there a reason why you are concerned ? Or maybe I'm not concerned enough for myself.
    Curious.

3. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    For me it's just peace of mind - 35 year old Italian electrical systems, 40 litres of fuel, lots of other combustibles in the garage..

Actually, I'm surprised it's not mandatory on new construction (in Ontario anyway). It might be one day, just like smoke detectors and CO monitors. If it's not mandatory, it's just a good idea. Heck, I even have fire extinguishers throughout my house and garage - you just never know what can happen. Being prepared costs a few bucks up front, but pays off when you need it most.

I think I'm gonna go with a self contained wired unit w/battery backup, they're around $50 from First Alert.

4. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    #4 URAS, May 2, 2016
  5. Mikes911

Mikes911 Rookie

Jan 20, 2010
    Oakville Ont
    Full Name:
    Mike Anderson
    I picked up the Netatmo weather station

https://www.netatmo.com/en-US/product/weather-station

from Best Buy near Sherway Gardens. You can have it send you alerts based on temperature or can check it anytime on your phone.
    I am in Alabama right now but know my garage back in Oakville is 15.4C, 506ppm of CO2 and 52% humidity.

If you have any home automation you can use ifttt to set up rules like flash your bedroom or kitchen lights if a certain parameter is met. I use mine to trigger a heater in the garage if it drops below 4C.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Myron, I think you are being overly concerned. As long as the car is fine with fuel lines and no gas tank leaks the rest should be a no brainier. Take away those combustibles like paints and lawn mower fuel and you should be fine. Like "URAS" mentioned. Maybe time for an ice tea and sit back and relax.
    Is there that strong of a fuel smell in your garage that you are worried about ? Maybe your car needs to be checked out unless you think it's something else within your home.
    Whatever you do, don't light up a cigarette in there.

7. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    In my garage ( and rest of house) I have the nest smoke detectors. You can silence it from your phone if it detects carbon monoxide, or smoke. its nice peace of mind.

I would want a smoke detector, as if there's smoke there's fire.

There is also options like this thing where it goes to your phone. I'm sure if you get a fancier one you can set an alert threshold. AcuRite Temperature and Humidity Sensor

8. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Look over your shoulder...
    Full Name:
    the big one
    This thread has started me thinking about this whole situation. Never really thought about this but hey, you never know. It's just added peace of mind.

9. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Somes years ago a Canadian figure staker set his garage on fire with a leaf blower

Anything can happy, so protect your pride and joy

10. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Another guy had his house set on fire since the hardwood floor people left the rags full of thinner in his garage on a hot July day. The whole house caught fire.

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Got to watch those hardwood guys and rags ...

12. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    They are all dangerous!

13. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

Neat unit, but it's not considered a life saving device. Unfortunately smoke detectors don't work well in garages for lots of reasons. A heat detector simply measures a fast rise in temperature, and you're right - it won't detect a slow smouldering fire. But, it's the only device that will really work in a garage.

Peace of mind for <$50... not a bad idea ;)

14. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    for 50 dollars it should become mandatory just like some detectors

15. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    You get what you pay for...:D

16. Dirty-Cheech

Dirty-Cheech Rookie

Apr 11, 2016
    Hell, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Itchy Scratchy
    Seems like good protection for the "knurled nuts, Carellos, Momos," and all of the other goodies on our F-Cars. Or not ?

17. Neuman

Neuman Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neuman
    #17 Neuman, May 12, 2016
  18. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
  19. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    The time has come for this type of unit.

20. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Best not to live north of Steeles is the message I am seeing.