Ontario Car Insurance update (scam/tax grab?) | FerrariChat

Ontario Car Insurance update (scam/tax grab?)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MS250, May 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Well, June 1st 2016 is around the corner.

And the car insurance industry have a change coming. This should reduce rates for Ontario residents. For some reason I feel this will be a cash grab. Anyone start the process and look into the changes and how they will effect us and our coverages?

Ontario Auto Reforms

Anyone here in the industry that can share insight on what to look out for with this to not pay extra ?

2. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I think the insurance industry in general is attempting to keep rate stable, this is one way of producing those results

Let's not forget an other factor, Insurance fraud and how that costs all of us.

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably neither a scam nor a tax grab, just private insurance companies trying to ensure they make both underwriting and investment profits. Ontario has been a challenging market with a number of misfires by the industry and the regulators. I've lost track of the number of changes Ontario has made to the auto insurance / compensation scheme over the past 25 years since Bob Rae and the NDP tried to introduce government auto insurance. This effort might help in the short term but will likely fail in the longer term and a new scheme will be proposed in the coming years. Jon

4. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I was shopping around for an insurance quote and the list of questions asked lasted for nearly half an hour. In the old days they asked for your drivers licence number. One of the questions asked was have you ever been charged with INSURANCE FRAUD? That's a question, wow what kind of D*** bag commits insurance fraud?
    Times have changed

5. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
  6. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Most of the people I have encountered in my life were honest, the twisted criminals you avoid.
    It was just shocking at the list of question to obtain a quote. With the advent of computers the fraudsters will have difficult time trying to hide.

7. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Undoubtedly, fraud and exaggeration are factors in auto insurance claims, particularly bodily injury claims where much of the "evidence" can involve self-reported, subjective complaints of pain, incapacity, disability etc.. Often, it can be difficult to distinguish intentional fraud and intentional exaggeration from unintentional exaggeration and "secondary gain". Many claimants, medical professionals, legal professionals and "support groups" can have a financial or ideological stake in promoting disability, treatment programs, diagnostic protocols, etc.. As mentioned in an earlier post, other service providers (tow companies, repair shops, rental car companies) all want to maximize profit - most legitimately, some otherwise. Yes, there is fraud in insurance claims, but insurance companies also like to play the "victim card" and, I could argue, overstate the amount of fraud in the system.

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My wife has a call in today to our insurance to see the details.

Anyone call their silver wheels to see how this effects our classic car insurance ?

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Back in high school some of the schmucks who drove motorcycles pulled scams all the time. Usually involving removing the fairings and claiming they were stolen. Low life scum like these are everywhere. Those guys were D**bags... image what kind of vile person you have to be to pull off major scams.

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Insurance scammers are the worst. Been reading up on some crazy cases before the courts.

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  12. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I think Ontarians are over insured but what do I know

13. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Look over your shoulder...
    Full Name:
    the big one
    Hey big red, just got my renewal in the mail today. Most coverage has been reduced, mandatory $500 deductible now. My policy went down a couple of bucks. All those insurance fraudsters (both white collar and those petty theives) have really screwed to innocent people out there. I worked in the insurance industry a few years back and you would always here about internal fraud. It was usually kept quiet though. At least I'm paying less for my policy. Trying to behave on the roads...drive safe.

14. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    We left Aviva after realizing what the excessive exec compensation was doing to our rates. Agent was surprised to hear why we were leaving. Added to the cover ups we all pay more for less.

The ripoff started with safety bumpers, now cars are so delicately put together that a simple bump in the rear is $1500. cosmetic but expensive.
    The only bonus so far is that we now live in a lower risk area, for both theft and accidents (aka negligence on the part of other drivers)

15. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    They should put the fraudsters in jail for a long time and chase after all their assets the rest of their lives. Unfortunatly Canada is too weak when it comes to penalties due to all the bleeding heart Liberals out there.

16. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    This article and the infamous "Ragu" video come to mind.
    Police bust intricate auto fraud scheme | CTV Toronto News

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubPwVSx0_o[/ame]

17. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Hey BigCheeks

You know with today's technology nothing stays quiet anymore for very long...

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Hey, just noticed your avatar. Are those Carello lights?

19. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    When the company they work for apparently doesn't lay charges then there is not much going to happen. Even the TTC is taken its sweet time dealing with employee internal fraud. As with most corrupt societies, these things are considered the cost of doing business. Canada might not be as corrupt as the US but I suspect we are not far behind. Just lower key as with everything else Canadian

As for the Liberal thing, it was Harper who let the bankers off the hook on the investment mess in recent recession. No repercussions for the good ol boys.

20. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I miss good old days of manly fascism. Swift justice, hang em by their ankles in the town piazza.

21. bigcheech

bigcheech Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Look over your shoulder...
    Full Name:
    the big one
    You're absolutely correct. Five minutes on Google and you can find out quite a bit about people's pasts. Scary thought, but true.

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My wife was trying to explain it to me last night. Seems similar to yours.

I always had $1,000 deductible , but some accident benefits seem to have gone up. I will have to review further. My main concern is I have my son getting ready to drive in the coming months as a 16yr old.

We were quoted $1,800 plus hst to add him as a second driver to our two vehicles, is that a fair price for teenage boy? Anyone else have teenage drivers added to their policy, and how much?

23. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Oh it sounds about right. Wait till he is a primary driver...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

24. HarryCheech

HarryCheech Rookie

Mar 4, 2016
    Full Name:
    Harold
    Sounds fair.

25. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    just received my insurance renewal, same price less coverage.