Does a salvage title in the US follow into Canada? | FerrariChat

Does a salvage title in the US follow into Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by treedee3d, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Not really, on a technicality - you are not allowed to import a salvage title car from the US for registered road use in Canada. Check Registrar of Imported Vehicles If a US car has a salvage title, you would have to declare it's being imported for off-road racing or parts only, and agree that you will not register it for road use.

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Dates back to the 90s so I guess they got away with it...car is here in Montreal legally plated and all.

I haven't had a chance to look at the registration to see if it says VGA on it.

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Google is your friend. Not only does salvage follow to Canada, Rebuilt gets treated the same as salvage.
    And forget about flood salvage....Unregisterable here. Parts or off road use only.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Mostly false, unless flooded.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Parts and Salvage Vehicles

Salvage can be registered here, but it's a pain in the ass.

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Here is the carproof link:

reports.carproof.com/main?id=WhjWx7gnLmZojXx/FPc+tpwaW72s06WG#Img_ushist

Just add the http if you have to otherwise fchat jumbles up the link for some reason.

7. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Actually it can be imported HOWEVER It has to go to a SPECIFIC Inspection centre that measures the car to prove it's within 2 mm's of factory specs.

A guy came to me years ago with a salvage titled viper he had bought but got stuck not knowing what to do next. It's actually pretty simple IF you're confident it's been rebuilt properly.
    The inspection place I used was on the same street as the accident reporting centre at 400/finch area.

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I have no idea where that is....however, my question is: Once the inspection deems it safe and driveable and gives you the green light, does the salvage "title" still apply to the car or is it removed completely?

9. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    This. A US salvage or rebuilt car will be branded salvage in Canada. Once it passes the inspection, it will be branded rebuilt in Canada.

No way to wash the title.

10. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Its still branded a rebuilt/salvage title even when it passes inspection.I know this for a fact.

11. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Both above posts are correct otherwise people would be selling **** boxes up here all day long!

12. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I know it can... I have one. Still has salvage title on it. In Alberta. Came from Georgia.

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #13 treedee3d, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After investigating the matter further, turns out the title here makes no mention of salvage whatsoever and has been removed from the records.

As you can see from the records below, it was declared Salvage in the US and today it does not have the "rebuilt" or "VGA" mention on the registration.

I smudged out the owner name and his registration numbers and licence plate but the rest is all there, No salvage!

I guess it can be washed out after all...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    There's just too much at stake with the salvage status in it's history. It WILL come back and bite the potential future owner.

I'd walk away from this one. There's plenty of Alfa Spiders that come up for sale on CL, Autotrader, etc...

15. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    True.
    I have a rebuilt title 355 that was inspected at Ferrari of Alberta. I was able to register it because it is within specs as James has explained.

There is nothing wrong with rebuilt title cars as long as all the work was done properly.
    Look at those Ferrari's of old that sell for millions of dollars, even though some of them were badly damaged back in the day.

A Ferrari or any other exotic brand with a rebuilt title is a good buy because there is a stigma as to the value now that it has a history.

Buy the car if it checks out and enjoy it.

16. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Carproof may well be wrong too! The other possibility, of course, is that it was last registered in a state which doesn't require titles for older cars...I know of a few, they only use bills of sale for transfers and registrations. In that way, you could theoretically wash the title, as there wouldn't really be a title. Either way, I'd walk.

I'm considering selling my '74 Spider rolling restoration; if you're interested PM me.

17. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fab
    Yes it can be washed.It was a real big scam in Quebec a few years back.I know this because a friend bought a U.S car org from Quebec that had the title washed.They did pick up on it later when it was sold in another province so the dealer had to give the guy his money back.
    It was great for my friend because the dealer was so pissed that he got the car for a great price.

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I've also heard that you can wash a title in Alberta as well.

19. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    There were no systems in place to inspect and verify the legitimacy of vehicles back then. A simple matter of looking to see if the chassis stamps matched the papers (or, in most cases, the ENGINE number was considered the vehicle's identity!) and off you go.

The mis-matched welds, patch panels and sketchy parts are considered "patina" nowadays :D

And that still can come back and bite you. Look at the ex-Jacques Swaters' 375MM saga... Deals done on handshakes and fading memories cost MILLIONS.

20. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have personally registered 3 salvaged cars from the US here in Alberta and also 1 "Junked" title (That one was a real pain, but I won my case). Point is, the info above is false.

21. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Again, not exactly correct, you have to go to a certified inspection place, but I watched all four of my inspections and only one was put on a frame machine and measured.

22. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    This is true, been there done that. Even though I made a ton of money on these cars I will NEVER bring up a salvage title vehicle again. I got lucky, I sold them to friends. Funny thing is, the BMW that was titled "JUNK" and was almost sent back to the US, was bought by my wifes best friend and she still has it...(10 years and loves it, never did anything but brakes, a battery and tires on it).

23. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Isn't that what I said?!

24. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hope they are better than CTC with their worthless DTRL checks. Large percentage of cars around without them. Stupid of the owners as well of course. Makes you wonder what else they missed. And supposedly they are licensed technicians to boot.

25. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    um, no....