Best airline to fly to canada? | FerrariChat

Best airline to fly to canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robb, Aug 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    What is the best airline you believe to fly to Canada?

Not terrible impressed with air canada so far.

Paid for a premium economy ticket and they let me board in the last zone... I would think paying a premium would help guarantee some bin space.

Who do you like to fly with? US domestic like delta or American better or is there another Canadian airline recommendation like west Jet?

Need some thoughts as I have regular travels upcoming.

Robb

2. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    I use westjet when I can. Air Canada is terrible.

3. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Just returned to Vancouver from LA on WestJet.... Usually, WestJet has good customer service with their relative attentiveness, friendly service and even younger stewardesses (SP?). However, I have never really enjoyed their planes since they seem relatively cramped and tight, even though I am not overly large (6'0 and 190lbs).

As for Air Canada, their stewardesses are usually older and more often than not, grumpier. I do, however, enjoy the newer planes and relatively smoother landings. As for boarding priority, WestJet does the same thing as Air Canada; the closer you are seated to the front, the later you board....unless you're in business class. My perception is that AC has pilots who can land their planes in a smoother manner; and at the end of the day, I guess that's the most important part for me!

All airlines nickel and dime you on fees and charges for "options/upgrades".....

Cheers
    FN

4. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    There is ONLY one answer WESTJET.

5. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    Ward Air. ; )

Our Gov decided along time ago that nobody should compete with AC.

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Got a flight on westjet in 3 weeks.

I didn't really even see the flight attendants on today's flight. I think I will avoid A/C. They also limit carry on to 22lbs

That sucks for a photographer...

Robb

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    none of them will compare to us carriers with regards to perks if you are a frequent flyer. i have had no real issues with air canada except for the one you mentiones in your previous post. i am a 50k member though so i enjoy premium seats and early boarding.

ive also never had a problem talking to the gate agent and letting them know that you have fragile carry ons and purchased a premium seat to make sure it has room. asking them nicely to let you board early has always yielded positive results.

if you fly westjet i would opt for the plus seats. early boarding and free snacks/alcohol.

is this an arizona to toronto route?

8. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    WJ feels like a fraternity bought an airline, not sure if the cabin crew still sings songs and the cockpit crew still makes jokes, but I just was never really comfortable on their flights. AC may have some grumpy attendants but their pilots seem tops. I'll always choose AC over WJ

FYI AC Rouge is their version of Delta, very budget, cramped seats, feels like lawn chair, no entertainment system other than crappy WiFi system and everything is an extra charge.

9. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    flew Delta into Vancouver, much better service etc. than usual, my beef is the ridiculous prices within Canada! I can fly Van-LA for $230, Van-Toronto $720, I know Toronto's farther but there's 10 flights a day,,come on!

10. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Is this a trick question?.. the answer is none!

Lufthansa or KLM are the only airlines to fly to and from Canada ! :d

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yes flight was Phoenix to Toronto non-stop on A/C rouge.

Not impressed.

Robb

12. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Upgrade to westjet plus if you can. Priority boarding, food and drinks and more legroom. Worth the cost IMO.

13. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    It's a mess of taxes and fees, I'm booking 2 seats return from Toronto to Van, $1500. We flew Toronto to Cambodia for the same. It's crazy to fly domestically here.

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I hate WJ, but I'll fly WJ any day over AC Rouge. AC and AC Rouge, two different beasts.

15. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
  16. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Avoid AC Rouge like the plague. Worst seat width/pitch in the world. Last year AC ticketed my family and I with seats in row 33 on a plane that only had 32 rows on a Toronto-Ottawa leg - no joke. Took several hours to get re-booked on another flight; their customer service desk at Pearson was beyond pathetic.

Now I mainly fly United through Chicago or Dulles, then United Express to my final destination in Canada. Just did Ottawa-Dulles-San Diego on United a few days ago and was very satisfied with the flights.

If you will be clearing US customs frequently in Toronto, get Global Entry and/or Nexus if you don't already have it. US CBP is a total cluster**** at Pearson, routinely took 2+ hours to get through CBP and security before I got Global Entry for the family.

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    A/C Rouge is the discount version of Air Canada. Tight seats and lots of extra pay options. Similar to a Frontier/Spirit is what I've heard. Never flown them.

I would choose WestJet 100% over A/C rouge. However Air Canada and Westjet is a toss up.

18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    When I was working the auto shows it was cheaper for me to fly Vancouver - Dallas Fort Worth (Layover) - Miami and a week later Miami to Toronto vs Vancouver to Toronto direct.

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Just bought tickets , Toronto to Van... I could go to Europe for the same cost

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I was thinking the same, they are all bad. It's the degree of bad that is the real question. I flew Air Canada weekly for the years that I lived in Canada. Can't say that they are any better or worse than the rest. The flight attendants seemed friendlier than most US airlines though. There are lots of fine print details on points as well, like you can't qualify for status on Air Canada unless a certain percentage of your points are actually flown on Air Canada. Basically they don't recognize participation on other airlines from a status perspective.

I would just stick with the airline that you use most frequently already. That way you can continue to accumulate points and status without issue.

21. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A/C is the best airline in the world period. Yeah you will have mishaps and stewardesses Are t what they use to be but they have the most room, the best safety record, more freebees and a better entertainment system than anyone. I'm a million plus flyer.

22. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its closer for me to go into Bellingham and get an Alaskan flight. Usually Vegas, LA, mostly. Further I'll do AC if its Van to Toronto, etc. England its always British Airways. I don't know if they fly the route now. But I did BA Toronto to NYC a few times in the late 1990's early 2000.

23. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I assume that you have never flown Singapore Airlines or Emirates? They have gone back and forth as the two best globally for years now. They take airline travel to a new level.

24. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Have to agree. Singapore airlines is by far much better than AC. Korean air is up there to.

25. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

That's the biggest joke of the century.

Air Canada is THE WORST, barred none airline in the world. Ethiopian Air will even be better than AC.

Air Canada has the rudest, most heartless, union-minded crew in the whole world. And their customer service is even worse.

Their pilots are also the most 'chicken' ones. Twice I was in the Caribbean for holidays when a hurricane is approaching on our fly out days. Every other airline flew except the Air Canada one, they cancel, and their flight wasn't even the last to leave! When we finally fly off back to Toronto, for obvious reasons we missed the scheduled connecting flight, both times the grounds crew booked the next day flights and tell us to sleep on the bench in front of the counter for the night.

WestJet over AC if there is a choice, even when I had to down grade from business to premium economy when flying WJ. AC would be the very last choice, sort of like drinking my own pee and eating my own flesh if I am stranded alone somewhere with nothing.