1967 Ford Shelby GT 500E Convertible | FerrariChat

1967 Ford Shelby GT 500E Convertible

Discussion in 'Cars' started by roytoy2003, Jun 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Really cool but what is it? Restomod with crate engine? Built by shelby? Someone else built it off shelby platform? I like it but dont understand. Glws

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    95spiderman, those are the Shelby Elanor replica made after the movie "gone in 60 seconds". This one started his life as a 6 cylinder 1967 mustang and has been modified into this Eleanor Shelby. It's been a very popular mod since the movie.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Hmmm..... somehow the key wording "Replica" or "Recreation" was left off.

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm no expert but to be fair I don't think there ever was a GT500e convertible originally produced was there? So it's really neither a replica or recreation is it? Cool looking car whatever you want to call it.

5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Not in the '60's for darn sure.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #7 godabitibi, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    To be very clear there was NEVER any GT500E in 1967. And never any 67 Shelby convertible except for one prototype that became the first 68 Shelby convertible. The GT500 Eleanor started his life ONLY after the movie and the car in the movie was NOT a real Shelby. There was never an original Shelby that had that modern look.
    After the movie the frenzie about the 67 Shelby was so high that someone started to make replica of the movie car with modern components and they were selling at very high prices because the original cars were now in the $300-400k range.

For the Super Snake this is another story. There was ever only ONE made as a test or development car in 1967. It's stripes were different from other Shelbys, similar to the one on this car instead of the usual Le mans stripes. I guess the builder of this particular car wanted to add some performance image to it calling it Super Snake.

I don't think Roy wanted to misrepresent the car not stating "replica or recreation" because I guess he thought everybody in car hobby knew what an ELEANOR was.

I hope this help understanding.

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    what is difference between super snake and eleanor?

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Eleanor is the model name of this concept of modernized vintage Shelby.

Super Snake name is now used as a performance option name on newer cars.

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    sorry for not knowing but when you say super snake is name of newer cars, what newer cars are you talking about? resto mods made in image of Eleanor? Shelby continuation cars? ford mustangs? thanks

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Looks like they did an incredible job on the build. The challenge with concept, resto mods and clones is that you have to find buyer that wants to enjoy the car first and is less concerned about the actual pedigree. Factory Five has made a decent living selling their version of the Shelby Cobra. It sells to enthusiasts that want something they can work on and afford.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #13 godabitibi, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Yes the Eleanor is a great creation. The look is incredible, the modern addition makes the cars much better for today's daily driving. The MUCH better seats is a big plus too. If I was going to buy another muscle car I'd like something like this. I've been thinking about doing a restomod 68 Shelby hardtop coupe like the green hornet but all black.

I think this GT500E convertible would probably be a very fun car. Looking at all the pictures it's obvious this car was built with the best of everything in mind. This is no more an old car. They spent a lot just in the suspension and steering.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Thanks for the link