Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Challenge Cars

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Q
Beautiful car, really suits the bare race-spec perfectly.

I've got a question though; to what extent can you track this car yourself, without needing track/crew support? Is the 458C a car you can just drive onto a trailer and hitch to the back of your car and show up? I'm thinking about the setups too, is it a car that is hard to do basic tuning to once you are present at the track (shocks, brakes etc.)? I know companies like FF Corse provide track support to all those members who pay for it, even just for track days. But I'm thinking since the 458C derives from the Corse Clienti, it should be able to be tracked like that too (by the client themselves), without requiring a few technicians here and there.

Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

Herman
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita View Post
beautifull,can you used on the streets in your country?
Thanks. Not street legal where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMaranello View Post
Beautiful car, really suits the bare race-spec perfectly.

I've got a question though; to what extent can you track this car yourself, without needing track/crew support? Is the 458C a car you can just drive onto a trailer and hitch to the back of your car and show up? I'm thinking about the setups too, is it a car that is hard to do basic tuning to once you are present at the track (shocks, brakes etc.)? I know companies like FF Corse provide track support to all those members who pay for it, even just for track days. But I'm thinking since the 458C derives from the Corse Clienti, it should be able to be tracked like that too (by the client themselves), without requiring a few technicians here and there.

Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

Herman
Thanks. I have a crew and full support from my dealer. That's the best option for me. We have an experienced mechanic who knows how to set up the car and perform all the pre-drive and post drive checks. He will attend all the events I will drive this year. For me it is important to have a great understanding with the mechanic and that you get professional support. If you intend to do this right and enjoy the car for a couple of seasons it is a must in my opinion to have professional support. Even if it is just to use it on track days (which is the case for me).

It is not recommended to show up on a track day with a 458C without proper support or you could be in for a bad experience.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-individual View Post
Thanks. Not street legal where I live.

Thanks. I have a crew and full support from my dealer. That's the best option for me. We have an experienced mechanic who knows how to set up the car and perform all the pre-drive and post drive checks. He will attend all the events I will drive this year. For me it is important to have a great understanding with the mechanic and that you get professional support. If you intend to do this right and enjoy the car for a couple of seasons it is a must in my opinion to have professional support. Even if it is just to use it on track days (which is the case for me).

It is not recommended to show up on a track day with a 458C without proper support or you could be in for a bad experience.
That'a sounds very much like the right decision. I for one would not purchase such an advanced car as the 458C without having support from someone who had a fine understanding of tuning and setup's.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMaranello View Post
That'a sounds very much like the right decision. I for one would not purchase such an advanced car as the 458C without having support from someone who had a fine understanding of tuning and setup's.
Totally agree
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Sponsor logo's being put on the car today and she is being prepped for Saturday's shakedown. This is so exciting ...

They do announce cold weather (around 8C) with wind and some showers I guess we will have to use rain rubber ...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Sponsor Logo's are on the car

Looks like a real race car now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sponsor final 1.jpg (125.2 KB, 1491 views)
File Type: jpg Sponsor final 2.jpg (178.0 KB, 1500 views)
File Type: jpg Sponsor final 3.jpg (124.5 KB, 1498 views)
File Type: jpg Sponsor final 4.jpg (123.2 KB, 1495 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Martin
Quote:

Looks like a real race car now
Looks different from yesterday Tires look like rain tires, so you're good to go!

P1080158.jpg

Gr. Martin
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: 
She looks GREAT with the decals M!

I know that you will have a great time with her during the shakedown, ENJOY!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by omd78 View Post
Looks different from yesterday Tires look like rain tires, so you're good to go!

Attachment 1503492

Gr. Martin
Couldn't see the pic Martin but yes, she has some cosmetic changes I think rain rubber will be the way to go for Saturday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia-F1 View Post
She looks GREAT with the decals M!

I know that you will have a great time with her during the shakedown, ENJOY!
Thanks a lot! I'm really looking forward to the first runs ... and all the ones to come
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Martin
Quote:
Sponsor logo's being put on the car today and she is being prepped for Saturday's shakedown. This is so exciting ...

They do announce cold weather (around 8C) with wind and some showers I guess we will have to use rain rubber ...
Eagerly awaiting updates form Spa...

Gr. Martin
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Guy
Quote:

Sponsor logos look great!
Hope you had a fun day at Clastres?
How did she perform vs the GTO?

Guy
Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jurgen
M, surely you've calmed down enough to tell us your verdict regarding the shakedown of the your new 458 Challenge! We're all looking forward to your reply
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
+1

And some pics!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Short update ... more details and pics to follow later this week ...

One word ... WOW. This car is amazing and such fun to drive. The grip with slicks is just phenomenal and the car is very well balanced.

The shakedown was a dream come true. Car performed well and all systems worked flawless. Engine, gearbox, suspension, ... flawless.

I was able to do very consistent lap times at the end of the day. Did very respectable 1 min 20.3 times which were, according to professional driver's who were present, very good. Key was to be consistent and the last 15 laps were all within 0.1 seconds of each other. Mind you, Clastres is a very twisty, very technical track with series of difficult corners. In addition, it is a very narrow track.

Weather was dry for most of the time (some drops of rain) but we were able to drive with slicks all day. Did get some trouble because of pick up (there were road Ferrari's present on the track) in the afternoon, creating under steer (less grip) in the quickest corner on the track but the positive thing is that the car gives you very good feedback.

She is bloody quick and needs to be treated with respect. She's demanding to drive but at the same time very rewarding.

My team did a great job. Very professional people to work with and they prepped the car to perfection.

All in all ... we had a perfect day and I'm very, very excited about the track days to come. This was better than I could have wished for.

More feedback and pics to follow later this week.

PS: As to the question how she compared vs the GTO: Still love and worship my GTO as I did before I drove my Challenge. But ... you can't compare the two. Different cars, different philosophy. The GTO is such an amazing car providing loads of fun on the track and on the street. The Challenge ... track only but what it does on a track is just amazing.

Obviously having both is the pinnacle
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: PJ
Smile

Congrats M!! A very auspicious beginning to a winning racing season. Best of luck in the months and years ahead!! Absolutely right about the GTO too......Just Really, Simply NonReplacable.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Craig
Quote:
PS: As to the question how she compared vs the GTO: Still love and worship my GTO as I did before I drove my Challenge. But ... you can't compare the two. Different cars, different philosophy. The GTO is such an amazing car providing loads of fun on the track and on the street. The Challenge ... track only but what it does on a track is just amazing.
After you've driven a track car, you'll never want to take the road car back on the track! Truth be told, the Ferrari engineer responsible for the GTO told me that the car was designed primarily as a road car - hence it's more luxurious than the Scuderia. They didn't go for raised exhausts because the didn't want to loose the boot - for example.

Can't wait to drive my 458C
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jacques
Sounds like a great day at the track, looking forward to the pictures!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jurgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesman View Post
After you've driven a track car, you'll never want to take the road car back on the track! Truth be told, the Ferrari engineer responsible for the GTO told me that the car was designed primarily as a road car - hence it's more luxurious than the Scuderia. They didn't go for raised exhausts because the didn't want to loose the boot - for example.

I can understand the reasoning of Ferrari, yet raised exhausts would have looked awesome.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:

This is very True.

After having owned a 997 GT3 Cup for 2 years I purchased the new GT3RS and I was so disappointed with the cars performance on the track, having stated this a lot had to do with the fact that the RS was on road tyres, not slicks.

Once you have driven race cars road cars just feel inferior.....
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Congrats M!! A very auspicious beginning to a winning racing season. Best of luck in the months and years ahead!! Absolutely right about the GTO too......Just Really, Simply NonReplacable.
Thanks my friend. Spot on comment with regards to the GTO

Quote:

You will love the 458C ces!!! It is a beast but keep in mind to always respect it. You need to focus 100% because she can get tricky. Play with the tire pressures. I had 2.2 in the front in the morning and found the car to under steer quite heavily. In the PM we dropped the pressure in the front to 2.0 bar and kept 2.2 in the back. She handled much better.

As to the GTO: Still a great car both on the road and the track. Mind you that the 458C is way better because she was built specifically for that purpose but that doesn't mean that the GTO lost any of it's appeal to me. Consider that we are both very lucky: we have the possibility to drive to the track in a GTO and step into the 458C once arrived and return in the GTO. It doesn't get any better than this