F430 Challenge consumables | FerrariChat

F430 Challenge consumables

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Alquazi, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alquazi

Alquazi Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    #1 Alquazi, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    I am trying to figure out the consumable costs for running in a F430 challenge Cup. I dont need cost of car or team and support or any fees, all I am trying to figure out, is the cost of all consumables such as breaks, clutch, engine rebuilds, oils, excluding tires and accidental damage.

Total track time of the season including practice, qualifying, and races will be around 15hrs.

Thanks in advance :)

2. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Assuming the engine you have is good to start with you definitely shouldn't need a refresh after one season. Brake pads also depend a lot on driving style but if you went through one set a weekend that's around $300-600 depending on which pad you run. Fluids are going to be flushed every 1-3 races depending on ur philosophy and will run a few hundred bucks if you do it yourself. Of course if you pay someone else to do it, as with the brakes, then costs begin to soar.

You also need to know whether you're going to pay for trackside support or do that yourself as that can run another $1000 per day.

3. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    There are several support team managers in CCR that can get you a more compete answer, but if I read your questions correctly and we address the consumables as you've mentioned them,

Engine and clutch wear is measured by the car and can be determined electrinically. If you start with a good car you shouldn't need a clutch or and engine rebuild.

As for brakes, depending upon how hard you are on brakes you should need two sets of pads prodviding your rotors are in good shape. Steel brake rotors are recommended if you need to change them. Oil changes should be done before each event.

4. Alquazi

Alquazi Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Thanks a lot guys. That is the information I'm looking for. I have a team that will do all the car work and support that is why all I needed to calculate were the consumables and maintenance (parts only) costs. After reading your replies, I have these questions.
    How long (in running hours I guess) till an engine refresh/rebuild is needed? Any idea on parts needed and costs?
    As for rotors, what would be the most efficient way to go, steel or CCM?

Thanks again.

5. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Parts cost on a rebuild is about $10k give or take, plus a ****load of labor cost, factor in another $10-15k.

As for brakes, only a crazy man would run CCM! Steel for sure, consumables are very cheap relatively and you have many options in the steel world by comparison. You can get a set of steels through RacingBrake for under $800 and their design is top notch. There's no comparison to that with CCM, same is true of pads.

6. Alquazi

Alquazi Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Like I mentioned, I have a team that will do all labor, so my unknown factor is parts. You have any idea on the average running time before an engine refresh/rebuild is needed?

As for brakes, wouldn't CCM brake setup last much longer than steel therefor offsetting the higher costs?

7. RotarySwingGolf

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    It's really difficult to say how much time before a rebuild as there are too many variables.

The CCM rotors will last about twice as long but cost 5-8x times as much to replace. Pads for ccms will also cost significantly more. $5k for a set vs $600 or so. There's a reason most all the challenge teams switch to steel and all race teams for that matter.

8. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    A 430c engine refresh is usually 25-30k from a non dealer shop. We evaluate the need for a refresh based on leak down & compression results, as well km's on motor and dyno test results. Steel brakes are definately the way to go, and the kit is $6500. Replacement pads are $595 for the front, and $395 for the rear (capristo kit). Depending on the driver, replacement pads could be a set a weekend, or maybe every other.

Another consumable is wheel bearings. Again, depending on the driver (and how many curbs you kiss), assume a set of wheel bearings a season. They are priced at $1,800 - $2,000 each!

Hope this helps, and good luck this season.

9. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Hello Chuck,

I hope your RB replacement iron discs continued doing well for you.

RacingBrake is now an official sponsor of this forum and we offer both CCM and Iron replacement:

CCM Brakes: FERRARI-CCM

Iron Brakes: Two Piece Rotors

Warren-RB

10. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Dont forget that the gas tanks have a finite life as does all your safety gear and the fire bottle has to be recharged every 3-5 years depending on the Tech requirements.