long-term attrition | FerrariChat

long-term attrition

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great to see a 20+ car field Race 1 Sebring. That is a good turnout for todays amateur club racing environment. I have noticed year to year there aren't a bunch of repeat names. Only names I recognize from the first year 2011 are Peter, Greg, Joe, and John. That is 19%. Few guys that started in 2012 and have been loyal like Rob and Colin. In NASA/SCCA racers are pretty long-term with a group and class because they invest in the setup/car and need to stick with it 3-5 years. Most racers don't get sick of club racing and start thinking about retirement until after 10 years (like me).

2. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I think it's a few things.

1. Is the local clubs are just less expensive than a national circuit.
    2. It's a thrill to race a pro series, or a ferrari or whatever, but the thrill % difference generally isn't matched by the price difference.
    3. A certain # of people just change priorities or have a life change that dictates no more racing.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really enjoyed my year 2011 with CCR racing a Ferrari only series on some cool national tracks. It was honestly best way to end cap my 11 year racing career. However, the level of racing, rules, and organization wasn't up to my $450 a weekend SCCA/NASA racing. I loved CCR for what it was, but guess I was part of the majority each year that doesn't return.

4. Mr Turbo

Mr Turbo Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Sebastian, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim H.
    I was fortunate to attend the Sebring event, and I must say that it was classic gentleman racing at its finest. Excellent camaraderie among all of the drivers. Even if you weren't on the podium, there were handshakes and "high 5's" among all of the drivers. The racing was great to watch, although Sunday race saw several cars fall out because of mechanicals.
    I have been involved in driver coaching with CCR way back when it was still FCRA. Yes, the names have changed, but there still is a passion among the drivers to enjoy their cars. At the Homestead event, I was among a table of about a dozen drivers who dined out after the event. Great friendships among all of the drivers...Good Stuff
    Jim H.

5. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The attrition is not unique to CCR, it has happened in most race series over the last few years. I just looked up the NASA-TX Blitz race group for their last race at MSR-Cresson and they has a great turn out - 33 cars entered. I only recognized 7 names! And this was a group I (and Rob) ran with for many years until about 2012.

Not sure why it is happening, but it is an amateur racing thing and not a CCR thing.

The one thing I have seen in the CCR is a dramatic increase in the skill level of those racing with us. Times are dropping, race craft is improving, and contact has nearly been eliminated. Beginning with 2014, there is less here than any series I run with.

On the downside, costs seem to be increasing. Not CCR's fault, just the nature of participating in a series at tracks all over the country. The cost of an average CCR weekend in a 430C is on par with an arrive and drive seat in a pro series.

6. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    These are IMO very connected. It's just a bigger increase if you are on a national circuit.

7. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    It was a good race weekend for me. I was very pleased with my progess, while others got better as well. I thought the times were impressive and was surprised we all got down to where we did. Hopefully we can pull some more people in and hope two more I know will join in for the next two races.

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #8 gatorgreg, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    I don't believe the attrition has anything to do with CCR. It is more related to the increase in track events. When CCR first started track events were limited. Now, you can race just about every weekend.

My weekend was fun. I had no horsepower all weekend. My engine was down 20% and then I blew the rear main seal for race two. Maybe next time.