430 Challenge | FerrariChat

430 Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Ferrari Campy, Aug 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Campy

Ferrari Campy Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    I am running in the Ferrari Club events, my car is a 2008 430 Challenge and it has now after purchasing in Jan. approx 7775 Km. I put on about 1100 Km.since getting it,its break wear was about 32% at that time.
    Was just informed that due the crack/chip on the inside of the rear ceramic disks of approx. 2cm only in the rear they should be replaced??

Why only in the rear and how can the ceramic disks can crack like that? not riding hard at all and not making any dirt excursions!! Thank God.
    Anyone with any suggestions or explanation as per why that needs to be done?
    Suggested to put on steel disks and if do so all 4 need to be done Expensive propostion.
    Please advice

2. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    #2 Teachdocs, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    1100 km of track time is about 10 thirty minute sessions, give or take. 10 sessions is about 3 track days. My guess is you would use a front set of pads and half a rear set of pads, maybe less, depending on your driving style.

The brake rotor wear is a calculated value for the ceramic rotors, so not very useful or accurate. The only way to measure CCM rotor wear is to remove them, remove the hat, weigh the disc and compare to the stamped minimum weights. Almost no one does this.

Visual inspection of the CCM rotors is essential, but you need to know what you are looking for. The disc should be fairly slick surface, a bit like marble, and free of any kind of chip, groove, or crack. As the disc wears, the fibers begin to separate and leave the disc, resulting in a rougher surface with tiny linear pit grooves. A clue will be the accumation of quite a bit of brake pad dust in these pits. A simple finger wipe on a cool disc will leave significant brake dust on your finger on a worn disc whereas a good disc will have little to no dust on your finger.

Most Challenge owners make the switch to steel rotors due to cost savings, which are significant. The steel rotors do create more undesirable unsprung weight compared to CCM, but for the DE and amateur racer, this isn't a big deal. Steel rotors provide equivalent braking on the F430C.

A crack or groove can occur for lots of reasons, including a small rock getting between the rotor and pad. The slicks throw up a lot of material, so "mowing grass" isn't necessary to get a problem. Seems the rears are more likely to get a rock than the fronts, in my experience.

If you have a crack or groove, it is imperative to change it. The rotor will give no warning when it fails, and can literally explode and take most of the wheel, suspension, and fender in the process.

You should be able to switch to steel rotors with a fresh set of pads for about $6500 or so.

Hope this info helps. Others may have a different experience to share.

I have used Girodiscs and now using Taurino Racing rotors and pads. They are both Ferrari Chat sponsors and can probably help with any questions you may have.