355CH Suspension Upgrade | FerrariChat

355CH Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by bcwawright, Aug 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #1 bcwawright, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seeing that the suspension bushings for the 355CH are extremely rare if not impossible to find here are a couple of solutions to replace the factory high wear bushings.

First pic is teflon coated and is superior to OEM....and no noise

Second pic is the all out best bar none....pillow ball with seals and pyrosulfite coating...no noise...long life. You can't get any better than these and IMO far exceed the Michelotto 348LM and 355GT design.

These are NOT cheap....

Was thinking about making the 348LM style upper shock mounts that will allow you to run a mono-ball shock top which permits the use of multi-adjustable shocks which are far superior to the CH Bilsteins, but this is still many months out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    They even look expensive....

3. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    In this case looks are not deceiving...lol

4. pegjr

pegjr Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Where do you get these and how much? Can't be any worse than what Ferrari wants for NOS:)

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Bruce pillow whatever is that just a monoball? What's the difference? Last I looked for 348C OE bushes where in the 4k range and unobtainable. It was cheaper and faster to just do them custom. It is pretty low tech but those do look very shiny!

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have had good luck with my factory pieces just pull them apart every couple of years and relube them. Use small amount of redline grease and reassemble. Anyway Bruce those look way cool, how much?

7. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Yes, both 348C and 355C bushings are NLA and have not found any quantities of NOS to do a whole car.

Pillow ball??? Are you trying to get all my secret info?...lol I'll give you a hint...on the 355C you already have 4(cost approx$150EA) of these on the car(might also be on the 348 but haven't checked).....can you guess where they are???...lol

The shiny look is a result of 2 things..(1) the alloy used...and (2) the special coatings

8. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #8 bcwawright, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Well as usual you are about the only person I know who cares enough to properly maintain their CH in every area to include the abused and forgotten suspension bushings.

If you tracked your car regularly you would see by inspection that the OEM bushings take a licking and eventually stop ticking..lol
    Thiis is one area that didn't get alot of attention and as the cars were no longer viable in the CH series were for the most part forgotten.

The first set pictured are more like the OE but again are better and live longer.

The second set pictured are awesome...totally maintenance free....very long life....totally quiet....and almost 0 friction.

I'm going to Wal-Mart next week and getting you and Dave a sleeping bag so that you guys will have a place to sleep when you come down here to help me make this pile of parts into a car...

You got my number...give me a call

BTW: as for cost?? I'll put it in terms you can relate to....you won't be painting your proch for the next 10 years...

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lower shock mount ball joint ???

10. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    BINGO!!! You got it Dave......

FBB, you were technically right...just wanted to mess with you a little now that you got a 550..lol

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    OK...now I'll mess with you...click the link on my signature line. This is the way a ferrari racecar should be 12 cylinders baby! One day if you finish your 355 I may start building my 550 to keep up with the Bruces.

12. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #12 bcwawright, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    WOW!! Is that your car?.....if so, I quit..lol That car rev's perfectly..hitting the rev limiter on every shift. If I could get rid of this stock 355 flywheel I might race you for a beer...

Not stupid here...I know when I'm out gunned

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So we can get these from you Bruce?

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    NO...no parts "For Sale" here.

Just showing fellow CH owners what is possible for replacing failed parts, and upgrades to facilitate better handling and reduced service intervals.

Innovative designs and developement?? As for me, it's always a work in progress.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    then where can you buy these?

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Careful young Skywalker, there are rules....

17. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #17 jm3, Sep 21, 2009
    This has already been done.

18. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Rob they come from Japan I think around 4500 grand for the hole set

19. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Rhdjapan imports them for M-techologia the top kit is the cheap kit for $3151.72 shipped and the pillow ball bushings are $4011.13 shipped. remember must go threw RHDjapan to get them.

20. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Nope...not even close.

What you have pictured is a pin mount top....the LM design replaces the whole chassis top mount assembly and allows you to run a bell type shock top with a mono ball.

It will also allow you to invert the whole shock assembly which is the typical mounting position for most high performance shock installations.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes but useless on the street. I hope all the guys with fancy stuff will get those cars out on track. It was so hard to get guys on track I was almost glad to stuff my 348 racecar and turn to racing vettes.

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Not useless....more like not practical, right?? lol

That is why I'm posting this stuff here in the CH forum because race stuff does not make a cumfy street car especially here in GA where roads are really bad.

23. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #23 jm3, Oct 21, 2009
    OK. There is a 3rd option that allows shock adjustment without jacking the car up, and keeps the reservoirs away from the exhaust.

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Who makes this top mount?

25. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    #25 FormulaRacer, Nov 11, 2009
    Here is the setup i designed, which uses Ohlins ST44's. I designed some mounts in Solidworks and machined them out of 7075 Alum. I have not had a chance to test the car yet, but I put the car on a diet as well, so it should be substantially better than before. Car is down to 3150lbs with driver and half tank of gas. Still pretty heavy compared to my E46 racecar, which is 2700, wet, with driver. Some pics: