Ferrari 348 Challenge for sale | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 Challenge for sale

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #1 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #2 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 31, 2015
  3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The white and yellow car next to it looks a lot like a Shell F355 Challenge paint scheme. Any info on it?

4. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    This "Monte Shell" 348 is also One of the 11 Michelotto cars, exactly the most important 348 of all. Fantastic racing History and "not" for sale, officially...

5. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #5 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jan 31, 2015
    Ferrari 348 Michelotto Competizione
    EUR

Ferrari 348 Michelotto Competizione - Detailinformationen

Rennfahrzeug
    Interne Nummer: ferr_348_shell
    265 kW (360 PS)
    EZ: 03/1993

eines von nur elf von Michelotto gefertigten Fahrzeugen
    - Siegerfahrzeug der italienischen Super-GT-Meisterschaft (Klasse 2) 1993 und 1994 mit dem Ex-Formel-1-Fahrer Oscar Larrauri (Team Jolly Club)||- reines Rennfahrzeug im absoluten Originalzustand
    - komplette Historie vorhanden
    - alle Renneinsätze wurden dokumentiert
    - großes Ersatzteilpaket
    - unverkäuflich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  7. MBPaki

MBPaki Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    TURIN
    Full Name:
    Miki Bellagarda
    Ex Mauro Moranelli 93-94
    Ciao, Miki-Paki.

8. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Beautifull

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    If so, it seems to have been stripped of all of its Challenge equipment (roll cage, wheels, seats, etc., etc.)- all that appears to remain are some stickers and a "348 Challenge" badge on the back. That's a shame.

10. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @ Ira, I agree...
    I will ask for the price and the VIN.

11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  12. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    He is asking....

Red car = euro 258,000
    White car = euro 580,000

I leave it to the reader to decide if that makes sense or not.

13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    What do you mean? Red car / White car?

14. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Interesting, thanks.
    I can't help but think that this one would be more desirable (and valuable?) if it had its Challenge equipment intact- if so, it'd be more useful as a dual-purpose street/track car.

15. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Red/White - I mean the 2 x 348GTC cars at Spingbok.

White = #25 Shell
    Red = road variant

16. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Ah, sorry, understand, red and white. Yes correct...

17. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    #17 F430Modena, Feb 2, 2015
    Stickers was the last mod made by dealer.

Old pic

18. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Talking of STICKERS.....

I am in need of a new set of challenge stickers.

Any suggestions ?

19. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  20. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    [QUOTE 348 Challenge for sale, never raced.[/QUOTE]

"Never raced" because it's not (and never was) a race car, but rather a "factory" 348 Challenge missing all of the factory-supplied parts that would make it race-worthy.
    These 348s are interesting since they were built so late in the model run and are rare, but if they weren't race-equipped and actually raced, as intended, I'm not sure how special they are- or whether they really qualify as "Challenge" cars.

21. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    "Never raced" because it's not (and never was) a race car, but rather a "factory" 348 Challenge missing all of the factory-supplied parts that would make it race-worthy.
    These 348s are interesting since they were built so late in the model run and are rare, but if they weren't race-equipped and actually raced, as intended, I'm not sure how special they are- or whether they really qualify as "Challenge" cars.[/QUOTE]

Ira, I'm the owner/seller of the referenced 1994 348ts Challenge.

The 348 Challenge was built by Ferrari so that customers, if desired, could install the race parts kit and race the car in the Challenge series. However, some customers did not want to race the car, and, in the case of my car, chose not to order the race kit (actually, the kit was "option delete"). I sure wish I had that original kit now :), but it was never supplied with this specific car.

As for "how special they are"; well, that's an opinion. Ferrari made 45 348 Challenge cars, only in 1994. 32 were tb, and 13 were ts. Personally, I think they are extremely special, simply because of the history of the model and the rarity, but I can also see how someone else would value a car with race history. I think my car is quite special, simply because it was NOT converted to a race car, but again, that's my opinion.

Finally, as for whether they "really qualify as a Challenge car", I don't think there is any question about that. Ferrari built these cars specifically for their new Challenge series. Whether they were raced or not isn't relevant to the question of whether they are "real" Challenge cars.

22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Ira, I'm the owner/seller of the referenced 1994 348ts Challenge.

The 348 Challenge was built by Ferrari so that customers, if desired, could install the race parts kit and race the car in the Challenge series. However, some customers did not want to race the car, and, in the case of my car, chose not to order the race kit (actually, the kit was "option delete"). I sure wish I had that original kit now :), but it was never supplied with this specific car.

As for "how special they are"; well, that's an opinion. Ferrari made 45 348 Challenge cars, only in 1994. 32 were tb, and 13 were ts. Personally, I think they are extremely special, simply because of the history of the model and the rarity, but I can also see how someone else would value a car with race history. I think my car is quite special, simply because it was NOT converted to a race car, but again, that's my opinion.

Finally, as for whether they "really qualify as a Challenge car", I don't think there is any question about that. Ferrari built these cars specifically for their new Challenge series. Whether they were raced or not isn't relevant to the question of whether they are "real" Challenge cars.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand your position, and agree with much of what you've said. This car is indeed rare, and it's also an example of the final (and most developed) iteration of the 348, both of which make it interesting.
    I do, however, respectfully disagree with your last sentence. Reasonable minds can differ on this, but IMHO a car isn't really a "Challenge" car unless it raced, or was built to race, in the Series. This particular one was never equipped with the Challenge Kit by an authorized dealer, so it was never even eligible to compete. As such, in its incipient state, it's more of a "Potential Challenge Car".
    The problem, as you know, is that so many of the Challenge race-cars were rolled into a ball (often more than once!), so there are precious few left that were raced but unwrecked! That's why I jumped on the two I've owned- they were driven by back-markers like me, and therefore largely undamaged. I preferred that to a car with a more celebrated history but lots of repaired crash damage- others may well disagree.

23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #24 bobzdar, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    If there are no challenge specific parts on it (other than the badge), it's not much of a challenge car. The challenger parts are what made the cars special, not the badging. A road car converted to challenge spec with the factory kit (even if never raced) would be more valuable than a factory challenge car that never had any challenge parts installed, at least to me.

24. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    This is a good discussion. :)

There are many Challenge specific features on the car, not just badging. The rollbar mounts, the harness mounts, the solid suspension bushings, the Challenge ECU, the non-offset rear wheels, etc.

However, I do understand your point about the lack of the factory kit; it would sure be nice now to have that, but I just don't for this car.