458 Challenge fuel type? | FerrariChat

458 Challenge fuel type?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by BimmerRacer, Sep 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer Rookie

May 8, 2016
    NE
    Hi,

I bought a 458 Challenge recently which will be used for lapping. Some rookie questions...

1. what type of fuel is recommended?
    2. torque value for the wheel nuts?
    3. it appears the only viable way to strap the car in a trailer is through the wheel spokes. Any other ideas?
    4. car didn't come with any datalogging. what's the popular system to use RaceLogic? AiM?

Thanks for any advise in advance.

BimmerRacer

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    100 Race Fuel though the car runs fine on 93/94

Wheel torque I think is 470 but confirm that separately

Yes tie down through the wheels

The cars dash has an integrated Marelli datalogger. Fully integrated, it gives you just about every variable you might want. Wintax is the software, you should have or need to get the data cable that fits the port on the right side of the dash. Wintax is not the best interface compared to MoTeC. You can pay to have an AIM logger installed but in my experience you cannot get all the data off the CAN and ECU with that

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Btw the timing system onboard requires an external beacon which you'll need to buy to use the lap timer in the dash

4. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer Rookie

May 8, 2016
    NE
    Thank you. I don't recall seeing a timing receiver in the car. I will find out more when the car arrives in three weeks.

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    you should.

it would be mounted behind the seats, on the bulkhead, with visibility out the (tiny) rear quarter windows. Depending on which side of the track the beacon is on, you can swap it left/right.

FWIW the Marelli system actually does a LOT - in terms of driving data, car performance data, and the timing is basic, so good for seeing lap times, splits, and your relative pace (faster/slower).

The pain in the ass with this system is the beacon, the need for the Wintax software, and learning how to really use the software, it's not user friendly. You can always install an aftermarket system, but in my experience they have been a hassle. For some,all they want is video, revs, speed, so a SmartyCam type system works. If you really want to see deep performance data, you can adapt a MoTeC or try and master the OEM system.

The other thing to remember in a 458C platform is you'll need access to the proprietary DEIS/VCI to access the electronics, read/clear codes, et al. Dealers and official challenge teams can help.

6. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer Rookie

May 8, 2016
    NE
    The timing beacon is a drag compared to the newer GPS-based systems. On one of my BMWs, I have a Motec which also requires a beacon. Always find it a PITA to use at the track.

It looks like I need to buy the Marelli interface cable and Mintax software. Would you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

7. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    I use a video vbox and have liked it. I tried to use the Wintax and it was very difficult. FWIW, Harry's lap timer is a good start, does a lot of the basics as an app on your phone. I have a VCI and can explain it if you would like, but if your dealer doesn't run a Challenge team they will probably not have one.

Joe

8. BimmerRacer

BimmerRacer Rookie

May 8, 2016
    NE
    Racelogic vbox is most likely the way to go considering that I will want video capability. Hope you won't mind if I reach out to you for advice when the car is here.

9. bccars

bccars Rookie

Jun 26, 2015
    Europe
  10. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    NO problem, I sent a PM with my email address. I think I can help with most questions.

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Joe is my hero - as best I can tell he's the most DIY guy with a 458C I've met, at least one who has lived to tell the tale