Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA Midwest > Chicago - Sponsored by Lake Forest Sportscars

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 324
John Hajduk

A name probably not known by many here if you are not an older Ferrari guy....

I probably first met John near 1978 or so. We began to talk about cars and then of course Ferraris. He was a good friend of Joe Marchetti of Como Inn fame. He told me one of the concoctions that he and Joe used to eat together was a whole tin of oil packed sardines between two slices of bread...

John moved from a few mechanic jobs, from limo company to a shop that did a lot of Alphas.......He took his tools home after work and did jobs on the side like most....When I first met him, he was in his shop in Bensenville. I would go over many times just to see the cars that I knew little about. It was the time that Enzo had just passed. Ferrari prices were going crazy then. There was a father and son who were buying several cars a month. There was the worst condition Daytona that I ever saw that was sitting there one day when I was there. Rusted wheel wells in back and all...It had just been sold for like $400K as it sat. John brokered a lot of cars, but he only asked a 1% markup on most.

Then he moved to IN, and with no notion before moving before, he entered the through bred horse racing business also. He had near 50 horses in training at one time....
Engines were coming in from Europe and all over the US all the time because John would never charge the crazy prices that others would to rebuild Ferrari engines. He told me one time in the not too distant pass that he may have rebuilt more 166mm engines than anyone else in the World. Dealers of known reputation would send him engines over the years as if they were doing the work themselves and then mark up John's bill to them by 30-50% or more many times.

A couple of years ago when his good friend Peter Dyson, who left us a few months ago, purchased Moble cars in England, Peter asked John to design from the Kawasaki block up a new engine for the new M600 car. John had tech guys in the shop doing the CPU when I would stop by, and I saw the first engine run on his dynamometer. (If you Google M600 Noble, see the run at the Nurburgring track with just street tires.)

A very unassuming man, John always projected the image of just a blue collar guy, yet he could be the hardest executive negotiator that anyone every knew when circumstances dictated.

Always a friend, always a car guy, John will always be missed in my life because he was one of the straightest and most honest people in his profession that I will have ever known..
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 PM
F1tommy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago USA
Full Name: Tom Tanner
Posts: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
A name probably not known by many here if you are not an older Ferrari guy....

I probably first met John near 1978 or so. We began to talk about cars and then of course Ferraris. He was a good friend of Joe Marchetti of Como Inn fame. He told me one of the concoctions that he and Joe used to eat together was a whole tin of oil packed sardines between two slices of bread...

John moved from a few mechanic jobs, from limo company to a shop that did a lot of Alphas.......He took his tools home after work and did jobs on the side like most....When I first met him, he was in his shop in Bensenville. I would go over many times just to see the cars that I knew little about. It was the time that Enzo had just passed. Ferrari prices were going crazy then. There was a father and son who were buying several cars a month. There was the worst condition Daytona that I ever saw that was sitting there one day when I was there. Rusted wheel wells in back and all...It had just been sold for like $400K as it sat. John brokered a lot of cars, but he only asked a 1% markup on most.

Then he moved to IN, and with no notion before moving before, he entered the through bred horse racing business also. He had near 50 horses in training at one time....
Engines were coming in from Europe and all over the US all the time because John would never charge the crazy prices that others would to rebuild Ferrari engines. He told me one time in the not too distant pass that he may have rebuilt more 166mm engines than anyone else in the World. Dealers of known reputation would send him engines over the years as if they were doing the work themselves and then mark up John's bill to them by 30-50% or more many times.

A couple of years ago when his good friend Peter Dyson, who left us a few months ago, purchased Moble cars in England, Peter asked John to design from the Kawasaki block up a new engine for the new M600 car. John had tech guys in the shop doing the CPU when I would stop by, and I saw the first engine run on his dynamometer. (If you Google M600 Noble, see the run at the Nurburgring track with just street tires.)

A very unassuming man, John always projected the image of just a blue collar guy, yet he could be the hardest executive negotiator that anyone every knew when circumstances dictated.

Always a friend, always a car guy, John will always be missed in my life because he was one of the straightest and most honest people in his profession that I will have ever known..
Wow, I met all those guys..Very sad news. Was John's shop on Irving Park road in Bensenville by the airport??? Also sad that Peter Dyson passed late last year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 324
John's Bensenville shop was north of Irving a mile or so and east of Hwy 83. It was in an industrial park area.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM
F1tommy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago USA
Full Name: Tom Tanner
Posts: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
John's Bensenville shop was north of Irving a mile or so and east of Hwy 83. It was in an industrial park area.
Interesting, I don't think I ever saw it. Anyway very sad news.

By the way, I was thinking of the shop on Irving Park Road in Bensenville just across from O'Hare that worked on very exotic cars in the late 1970's until the early 1990's. I remember seeing a Porsche 906 and Ferrari 166 Barchetta) Touring along with many other production Ferrari's sitting out front(275 GTB's, 330 GTC's, Daytona's, 512BB ect) after being worked on.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 324
The only business I ever knew of was Euro Sport. Brian and his brother run that business yet today with Porsche being their specialty. (They also have had a location at Autoban since that track opened. Two great car people. They did work on a Porsche I used to have, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Brian set up the K-Jetornic system on my 308 several years ago. He asked so little money. I gave him more then he asked.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM
F1tommy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago USA
Full Name: Tom Tanner
Posts: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
The only business I ever knew of was Euro Sport. Brian and his brother run that business yet today with Porsche being their specialty. (They also have had a location at Autoban since that track opened. Two great car people. They did work on a Porsche I used to have, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Brian set up the K-Jetornic system on my 308 several years ago. He asked so little money. I gave him more then he asked.)
I will have to talk to them and ask if they know who it was. It was east of the railroad tracks on Irving(now a runway at O'Hare). I have pictures of the red Ferrari 166 with full leather interior and long hood with no scoop(it was a real one) and a cream colored 330 GTS taken in the mid 1980's.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Barrington, Ill. USA
Full Name: Ross
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1tommy View Post
Interesting, I don't think I ever saw it. Anyway very sad news.

By the way, I was thinking of the shop on Irving Park Road in Bensenville just across from O'Hare that worked on very exotic cars in the late 1970's until the early 1990's. I remember seeing a Porsche 906 and Ferrari 166 Barchetta) Touring along with many other production Ferrari's sitting out front(275 GTB's, 330 GTC's, Daytona's, 512BB ect) after being worked on.
I remember that shop, across the street from Nashville North. My office was a bit further east on Irving Pk. I often encountered exotics coming and going or perhaps being test driven on that long sweeping curve around the north end of O'Hare. In particular a Countach that went by me once at approximately the speed of light.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM
tifoso2728's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arlington Heights, I
Full Name: Rob Manchester
Posts: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Ross View Post
I remember that shop, across the street from Nashville North. My office was a bit further east on Irving Pk. I often encountered exotics coming and going or perhaps being test driven on that long sweeping curve around the north end of O'Hare. In particular a Countach that went by me once at approximately the speed of light.
Motor Kraft. Scott Taylor worked there before he started working for Hil Raab.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NW Indiana
Full Name: David Smith
Posts: 596
I got to know Scott Taylor pretty well and he rebuilt my 330 engine. As I lived nearby he would call when there was an interesting car at his shop on Hil's property. We went on some great test drives together. Amazing wealth of vintage knowledge. More than just Ferrari.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 324
Nice to know much of this comes to peace with others...Small world of those who care...Just a wonderful feeling of memories...thanks to all....Norbert
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.