Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA West > Chicago

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Full Name: Andreas
Unhappy City/media downplaying G8

Looking at past summits I fear the worst. This was a dumb idea to get G8 AND NATO into our town. Every hooligan who finds transportation will be here and vandalize downtown.

I can't believe how the city/ police/mayor/media are downplaying this event. As a store owner I'd start buying big sheets of plywood and send my staff on vacation in May.

This is gonna be real bad.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
F1 Veteran
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: mark k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi12 View Post
Looking at past summits I fear the worst. This was a dumb idea to get G8 AND NATO into our town. Every hooligan who finds transportation will be here and vandalize downtown.

I can't believe how the city/ police/mayor/media are downplaying this event. As a store owner I'd start buying big sheets of plywood and send my staff on vacation in May.

This is gonna be real bad.
The city is downplaying but others are not.
My son's HS decided to move the date of Prom that is usually held at that time at the Ritz.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent View Post
I've seen companies advising their entire staff to work from home for the entire duration. Imagine that.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Matt
Quote:
My son's HS decided to move the date of Prom that is usually held at that time at the Ritz.
So did mine.

Will it really be that bad?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr3par32die View Post
So did mine.

Will it really be that bad?
At the minimum any commute will become a nightmare because of all the increased security parameters around the summits. Plus probably lots of security checkpoints throughout the city. Going to work will be like getting on a plane with all the security hoopla.

Add to that all the hooligans who will make it here. Our only hope is that the creatures from Europe won't have the $$$ to travel here, but the US has plenty of that crowd too and they will be here: This is the prime target, particularly with G8 AND NATO.
Remember the last summit in Seattle? Riots and chaos, burning cars, looted stores etc.

Forget Occupy Wallstreet, think Athens (now) or worse Genua a few years back.

And that's not even considering any terrorist attacks.

As a city you really don't want either of these events in your town. You're simply making yourself a giant target for any bad person imaginable.

I wish they'd communicate more about the safety precautions they're lining up. I hope the National Guard is on stand-by.

Last edited by tifosi12; 02-18-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Tanner
I guess if Chicago wants to be on the world stage even more they need to take risks. The one thing they need to remember is if the police crack down to much and hurt some dead beats the media will talk about it for years. Better to just push them back and let them ruin our parks. Any people who don't have to be downtown in the loop should avoid it for 2 weeks in May.

Don't they have some special tax they can hit them up for. Maybe an added lawncare/park cleanup tax on top of the normal charges. Where is the useless city council when you need them.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1tommy View Post
I guess if Chicago wants to be on the world stage even more they need to take risks.
What will we get in return for this? The Olympics? Oh, no, we weren't good enough for that. How about if they host the next G8 in Rio?

Quote:
The one thing they need to remember is if the police crack down to much and hurt some dead beats the media will talk about it for years.
I'm fine with that. Let them talk. I doubt the media will be on the side of the hooligans though.

Quote:
Maybe an added lawncare/park cleanup tax on top of the normal charges.
If this was only about cleaning up the parks, I wouldn't care. I see the Magnificent Mile in flames.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Tanner
Quote:
What will we get in return for this? The Olympics? Oh, no, we weren't good enough for that. How about if they host the next G8 in Rio?

If this was only about cleaning up the parks, I wouldn't care. I see the Magnificent Mile in flames.
I hope they can keep the crowd controlled better than that. Why not put the G8 summit in a Rio ghetto. They can get a feel for 3rd world then(oh I forgot, Brazil is not a 3rd world jungle anymore).
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Quote:
I hope they can keep the crowd controlled better than that.
We saw last summer how modern hooligans operate: Mobbing organized on the fly thanks to IM technology. These guys can "hide" all around downtown and suddenly appear at one place decided 10 minutes prior and strike.

Quote:
Why not put the G8 summit in a Rio ghetto. They can get a feel for 3rd world then(oh I forgot, Brazil is not a 3rd world jungle anymore).
ROFL

FIFA and IOC will learn a painful lesson.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Matt
Quote:
At the minimum any commute will become a nightmare because of all the increased security parameters around the summits. Plus probably lots of security checkpoints throughout the city. Going to work will be like getting on a plane with all the security hoopla.

Add to that all the hooligans who will make it here. Our only hope is that the creatures from Europe won't have the $$$ to travel here, but the US has plenty of that crowd too and they will be here: This is the prime target, particularly with G8 AND NATO.
Remember the last summit in Seattle? Riots and chaos, burning cars, looted stores etc.

Forget Occupy Wallstreet, think Athens (now) or worse Genua a few years back.

And that's not even considering any terrorist attacks.

As a city you really don't want either of these events in your town. You're simply making yourself a giant target for any bad person imaginable.

I wish they'd communicate more about the safety precautions they're lining up. I hope the National Guard is on stand-by.

Oh crap, that does sound really bad. I honestly hope that riots and stuff don't happen. Hope security is strong.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM
F1 Veteran
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: mark k.
BGC better board their windows....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Walter
Protest groups and other activists are expected to make a strong showing at the summit, and these groups are expected to have planned well in advance. Adbusters, an organization that helped initiate Occupy Wall Street, has called for a mass occupation of Chicago starting on May 1. This call has the potential to bring together the newer domestically-focused Occupy movement with the ongoing anti-globalization movement.

Fortunately I'll be out in the Hamptons while they're here. I'm not stickin around town for this..
Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Last night the news reported that Northwestern and De Paul are moving their graduation ceremonies because of the summit.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Sal
This is not a fun event for anyone and I don't understand why they dont do it outside big city's. I remember the Toronto summit in 2010, 8 police cars destroyed, almost 1500 arrested, 20k cops on the roads, anyone within half a mile of the event will need to go through security and have special id with regular id and a nice explaination as to why they are there, every time.

They're still trials and taxpayer money being spent on convicting those protestors, and lots of damage incurred by store owners, around 750k. Alleged police brutality, robberies, an overnight secret "police have authority to do anything, anytime, to anyone" law was put into effect. Something not to look forward to at all.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike Z
Chicago will become little Greece.
Expect molotov cocktails and worse.
The CPD is buying new riot gear.
I work with a CFD (Chicago Fire) guy.... they are really NOT looking forward to this.
This is going to sux!
I don't think Rahm is going too smell really good after this slowly approaching debacle

But at least those new traffic camera's will slow 'em down!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike Z
Quote:
BGC better board their windows....
seriously.
all the drunks on Rush street will be watching it on the news, then get some bright ideas...
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Ivan Rajic
Definitely not looking forward to this, but keep thinking at least I live a good 30 mins out of downtown and my shop location is in Hoffman Estates, so I'll be away from everything as much as possible.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Ross
This event just drew a big red bullseye on Chicago for every nut job and terrorist on the planet.
Chicagoans elected another fool for the Mayor's office who's costing the taxpayers one way or another.
The media is just as bad, they will do their best to showcase the protests which will encourage the troublemakers even more.
I really, really hope the police are able to administer the beatings these f'ers deserve without repercussion.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Neal
Post THANK you, Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Ross View Post
This event just drew a big red bullseye on Chicago for every nut job and terrorist on the planet.
Chicagoans elected another fool for the Mayor's office who's costing the taxpayers one way or another.
The media is just as bad, they will do their best to showcase the protests which will encourage the troublemakers even more.
I really, really hope the police are able to administer the beatings these f'ers deserve without repercussion.

For the best post herein. Man it's refreshing to hear the truth : never spoken by USA's media. Word.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Ross View Post
Whom are you referring to? Merkel, Sarkozy and Co.?