Official book collectors thread | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #1 lil squid, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seems to make sense to keep it all in one place. I'll start it off by reposting the Piloti Che Gente editions with Nathan's supplemental information and pictures of covers in order:

1. November 1983 1st (Italian) edition (greyish/beige cover no DJ) 359 pages.
    2. September 1984 2nd (English) edition (greyish/beige cover no DJ) Industrie Grafiche Arbe 1984. 360 pages. Limited edition of 2500 copies, but it's believed that there were more than 2500 actually published, and that this number was copied from the Italian 1st edition.
    3. December 1985 3rd (Italian) edition (red cover with rectangular painting of vintage Ferrari, no DJ) Conte Editore (commercial edition), Bologne, Italy 479pp.
    4. June 1987 Cartier Foundation edition, English/French/German (red with a DJ, picture of Enzo's reflection in the side mirror)
    5. December 1987 4th Italian edition (blue cover no DJ)
    6. November 1989 5th Italian edition (blue cover no DJ), with preface by Piero Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #2 lil squid, Jun 9, 2008
    Here is the bibliography I put together of Ferrari factory presentation books (by Enzo or with Enzo's input) for my own collection, with pictures of covers, in chronological order; please let me know your corrections and supplements:

1. Appunti di Storia by Carlo Mariani, (Italian 1957, Shell Italiana s.p.a.), 17x25cm, 185 pages, over 50 photos, Italian text
    2. Le Mie Gioie Terribili editions: 1st Edition (Italian) (November 1962 Bologna), Publisher: Marabout; Dec. 1962 (2nd ed. It. w/ dust jacket), June 1963 (3rd ed. It.), 1964 (French))
    3. Le Mie Gioie Terribili due anni dopo, 3 editions: December 1964 (Italian, with DJ), November 1965 and November 1966) (not certain on the November 1965 edition, this could be the English edition)
    4. The Enzo Ferrari Memoirs (English, Hamish Hamilton 1963 London), blue boards, Illustrated by B&W photos, foreword by Stirling Moss, edited by Richard Hough and translated by Ivan Scott.
    5. The Enzo Ferrari Story (English, 1964 NY) 176 pages. Hardcover with DJ.
    6. The Enzo Ferrari Memoirs: My Terrible Joys (English, 1965 London) 164 pages Motoraces Book Club; green cloth boards, DJ, 164 pages, index, b/w photos, with a foreword by Stirling Moss, translated by Ivan Scott, 8vo 8" - 9" tall
    7. Le Briglie del Successo 1st ed. (Italian, 1970 March, red boards with yellow DJ), 268 pages, 8.5 X 11.75\
    8. Le Briglie del Successo 2nd ed. (Italian, 1970 November, yellow hard cover, no DJ).
    9. Ferrari (known as "Ferrari Red Book") (Italian, 1974 November), 253 pages.
    10. Il Flobert (1976 Nov., cork cover) Modena, Officine Grafiche Arbe, in 8vo, 120 unnumbered pages.
    11. Ferrari 80 - 1st ed. (Italian, 1979 November), plain cover, no DJ.
    12. Ferrari 80, 2nd ed. (Italian, 1980 December) and 3rd ed. (1981 December), both hardcover with picture of Enzo, no DJ.
    13. [see post above for Piloti Che Gente editions 1983-1989]
    14. Una Vita Per L'Automobile (It., 1998 Feb.) - even though it was published long after Enzo's passing, it still lists Enzo as author so I think it qualifies :)

Let me know if you have questions on specific editions and I will check my copies. Hope this helps, I really enjoyed putting this together.

3. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #3 ferrariartist, Jun 9, 2008
    Exciting thread.
    Always been a fan of Ferrari literature. There is so many great books out there.
    (Also alot of cheap coffee table books as well... :))

Not quite has hardcore as some of you guys... but managed to get a few over the years...
    Yearbooks, brochures, the 1984 Piloti book... all included about 200 pieces.
    i should get an index made but never get around to it...

FYI the Memoirs book (#6) was just on ebay last night from Austrailia... coffee mark on the cover tho, but still a bargain for someone at $26!! Still a good place for deals, just have to keep constant watch.

Thanks again for starting a great thread!

GT

4re308 and of2worlds like this.
  4. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    #4 ferrariartist, Jun 9, 2008
    As for rarity.. the top of list in my lot would have to be Ferrari di Pininfarina by Angelo Tito Anselmi. Dont see it for sale all that much at all..
    (Anselmi was on FChat a while back ... coproduced "Making a Difference" with Massini. That one is still on my "to get" list...)

GT

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Yuliya.

Maybe we can get Rob to make this a sticky.

Jack.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 VIZSLA, Jun 9, 2008
    Found this in London years ago. By Didier Merlin with preface by Sergio Pininfarina and Renzo Carli. Copyright 1980. Haven't seen it elsewhere. Paid 10 quid.

Albert-LP likes this.
  7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    WOW_---I only have 5 or 6 books....You gots plenty O books!!!

8. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Thank you... about 18 years of collecting....
    comes in handy checking reference shots for paintings.

Dream list:
    Making a Difference
    Ferrari 60 Years (The official dual volume set)
    Ferrari in Camera
    Any of the Enzo Ferrari books shown above.
    Ferrari Berlinetta (almost got this on ebay once, but as they say "close" only counts with horseshoes and hand-grenades...)
    Enzo Brochure (the one with the small book with the exploded view of the body panels on the cover)

Wish list:
    Finish off the Cavallino series
    Finish off the Forza series ($@$% that #2)
    Ferrari The stories of those who lived the legend
    Ferrari the Red Dream
    599 brochure
    F430 Scuderia brochure

Possible List due to home renovations this week:
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comic book

GT

9. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    About time someone started a thread. THANK YOU! I have quite a few books. I will post a list later on when I am using my computer. I'll take a pic as well of the bookshelf.

10. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #10 Llenroc, Jun 10, 2008
  11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    WOW. Amazing collection

12. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    #12 DMC308, Jun 10, 2008
    This is a pretty nice over sized book.

Ferrari Formula 1
    by Ranier W. Schlegelmilch (1996)

More than just a collection of truly exquisite pictures, this large-format volume — in English, German and French (each page) — covers each car, driver and season of Scuderia Ferrari's fabled GP history, including today's Maranello team assembled by Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemelo. As Niki Lauda's forward aptly states, Schlegelmilch's photography shows a "consistency of performance linked with the Ferrari virtues of brilliance and a finely-tuned sense of aesthetics." At nearly 350 pages (with several appendices), Ferrari F1 is a tour de force for Tifosi everywhere.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #13 Gatorrari, Jun 11, 2008
    I don't have an enormous Ferrari book collection, and I've never fancied myself a "collector", though I do have a copy of the 1987 Cartier edition of "Piloti, che gente...."

I recently splurged on the most expensive book I've ever bought, Maurice Louche's magnificent "Emotion Ferrari". While basically a photo book like others, the choice and reproduction of the photos is excellent, and truly fit the description of "never before published". I had a chance to buy a copy several years ago at $175, but decided to wait for a better price. Unfortunately the Euro went the other way against the dollar, and with this being a limited-edition book like Louche's other titles, I got "cold feet" and decided to get a copy at the best price I could find, which turned out to be $225 (with shipping) from Motorbooks in the UK.

Is the book worth $225? Highly doubtful -- I don't think any book is worth that price! -- but I'm still glad I got it! (BTW, the book is bilingual, French/English.)

14. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Amazing collection..
    I am sure you are aware of this, (they were probably put there for the photo)... but since we are dealing with books over $1000 i will inform you anyways....
    Dont keep books leaning up like that for too long (ie the way the Ferrari in Camera edition is) It ruins the spine after a short time.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Is that the McLaren book back there? I have that one too. Would you believe I've never taken it out of the case?

Jack

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Since we now have our own thread, I'll pose this question for everyone's comments: What do you consider to be the most collectible book on Ferrari, considering rarity, content and desireability (format, paper quality, photo reproduction, binding, etc)?

Jack

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    McLaren? That borders on slander sir ;)

18. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern

19. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Yes it is #359 of the addition. You don't what you are missing by not looking at it. That book is probably one of best pieces of book art done so far.

20. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #20 Horsefly, Jun 12, 2008
  21. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Wow Jack, there have so many excellent books done on Ferrari that no other marque can touch. I don't mean just content but the shear beauty of the books.
    I'll list my top 5 because I can not choose just one (If we were talking about books done on other cars it would be easy) the order i put these in means nothing.
    1) Metal Memory by S.Scott Callan leather covered book not sure how many were produced but know it was low
    2) Ferrari Formula 1 by Peter Wright, leather covered addn. of 50.
    3) Making a difference by Anselmi and Massini, leather addn. of 99 just the smell of the leather makes it worth the price hahaha.
    4) Ferrari 250 GT Sperimentale No. 2643 addn of 1500 this book was done about 20 years ago, Beautiful photos and leather binding
    5) F-50 factory presentation book, not sure how many but was told around 500, of that no. all the cars got one and the remainder are floating around out there. It has a kevlar cover and real impressive photos.

I could list another 20 books on ferrari that are equally nice books but maybe they would be lower on the list because they printed more of them.

Non Ferrari Books: The Mclaren book I think will be very valuable book down the road it is excellent in every respect.

22. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    #1 is fascinating! Made to order!!!! I don't have a copy of it yet but I did have the chance to meet the Author after I had bought my business that is no longer. He brought me in several books to see that he had Published. He is a very nice gentleman as well. And because of that book, I almost crapped myself when I saw THE CAR at the Ferrari Challenge @ Infineon. Absolutely Beautiful.

OK! Now which McLaren Book are you all refering to????

23. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I have it and it is a fascinating book. Not cheap but it is hand-made to order, and you can even have your name printed(!) on the title page. It's very well researched and well written. The writer traces the history of the car and describes how he came to separate the truth from the myths. It's one of my favourite books.
    Nathan

24. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Jack
    Taking all your criteria into account then, for me, it would have to be 'Ferrari in Camera'. It has it all - quality production, content, value. There are other books I love because of their content, and others because of their quality but 'FiC' has it all IMHO.
    Nathan

25. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    #25 toddjw73, Jun 13, 2008
    Considering everone who had owned the 250 Testa Rossa up to the point of his writing the book had given him all the information and photos needed for the book, I would have to say YES it is well researched. Now if I could just bring myself to actually buy the book. Oh! here is a shot of the car at the Ferrari Challenge.