display cases - a nice source | FerrariChat

display cases - a nice source

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spike308, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
  2. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #2 Eric W, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    The 72" Addison floor curio looks real tempting but it probably couldn't store more than a dozen 1/18th scale model comfortably. The Ikea Bertby glass door wall cabinet looks like a better setup to me.

Addison floor curio

Ikea Bertby

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    IKEA has a bunce of display cases ,cheap.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bertby works great. And if you're creative, or minimally skilled, can be recessed into a wall.

got a couple I need to install now, and one on the wall in the hall. $100, can't beat that.

DM

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    The Bertby was off their web site for quite some time.
    good to see it back!

6. wingman1961

wingman1961 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008
    I like IKEA display cases. They have good prices too.
    I have BILLY bookcase with plain glass doors to display my 1/18 die casts.
    Also I got IKEA DETOLF glass cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206

I have install 4 additional shelf so I doubled up capacity. I have display between 16 to 21 1/18 cars.
    I think DETOLF is good buy for the money I have paid.

7. s2ktaxi

s2ktaxi Karting

Jan 14, 2007
    WA
    #7 s2ktaxi, Jan 4, 2009
    This is a good find. I can see putting 6-8 of these in a 4x2 arrangement in my study. Where do you get the extra shelf hardware from? Can you put 3 1/18 on each shelf? I need space for about 2000-3000 pieces of my collection.

Does anyone have this one? I think the color is more appropriate!
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119032

8. s2ktaxi

s2ktaxi Karting

Jan 14, 2007
    WA
    That's probably because the last time that was mentioned here, the FChat community caused a run on their supply :)

9. wingman1961

wingman1961 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008
    #9 wingman1961, Jan 4, 2009
    You can put 3 side by side 1:18 scale on each shelf. I got 1/4 cold roll steel rod and cut 12 inch long pieces and friend of mine weld it half way between existing shelf. Glass shelf I got at local glass and mirror shop. I my prototype case I have installed 1/8 wire rope clips on vertical rod half way between shelf instead 1/4 cold roll rod. That was simple way and quick way to add some extra shelf. I hope that will help you to organize your collection.

Looks great.

10. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #10 Neonzapper, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw some garage pics by RoccoM in the Garage thread, and the Ikea Bertby looked great in his garage. Here is what he did with it:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    It's kind of funny! The other day I was checking the company website and came across a section for Display cabinets. I Didn't know this before, but these cabinets are put out out by another company, 1 of the many, that is owned by The Home Depot.

s2ktaxi - If you are looking for something bigger and more "color appropriate", here is the one I liked when browsing the Sacramento Store about a year ago.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49842472

But if you have 2-3000 pieces, you may want to invest in having everything custom built to your liking. I plan on building out my office cabinets to accommodate my collection of 1:18 Diecast, My Book collection, CD collection and my office desk. The one I mentioned in the 1:64 Hot Wheels thread. With a large collection such as yours, that would be the best way to get it all displayed.

12. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Do you have any photos of your Detolf's with the cars?

13. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    I have two Detolf cases and thought about doing the same to mine, but was concerned the lower models would be obscured from view when walking by. Do you have any photos of the whole unit?

14. wingman1961

wingman1961 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

At this moment I don't have any photos of whole unit, but I should get some in next couple of weeks. I was thinking to built a platform to raise it.

wingman1961

15. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    hope the size isn't a problem...from my phone.the big ones are 1/12.

16. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #17 Prowler, Jan 7, 2009
  17. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Is that the Detolf? Did you have to put the lights in or did it come with lights?

18. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    The lights are a seperate purchase. you can get a 2-pack from Ikea when buying those cases for about 15 bucks.

I have 1 of these cases. I have it in a downstairs room sitting empty at the moment. Not sure what to do with it right now as I want to build my office cabinets and incorporate the displays into what I build. I have about 125+ in my 1:18 collection, and I would like to have them spread out to be viewed a lot better.I don't like themto close together.

19. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    So you're saying it comes equipped with the socket but the bulbs are seperate. Okay, about how many 1:18 could you fit in one case if they were to be placed maybe 3 to 5 inches appart?

20. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #21 BLACK HORSE, Jan 8, 2009
    The IKA glass display cases look very nice, but I see one small problem with them. They are not “Air Tight” which over a two-three month time period you’re going to keep dusting off your cars to keep everything looking nice.

I had this same issue with my large wooden curio cabinet which is a side-loader (Top & bottom small glass doors on both ends of the cabinet) which each glass door has an approximately 1/8 inch gap around the doors which been allowing the dust to enter the cabinet. I realized about every six to eight months the dust gets so thick, I have to keep taking everything out to clean and its a royal pain &$#... I finally figure out a solution to my dust problem. I applied long strips of clear scotch tape over all the open door gaps on both sides of the display case and it’s now 99% air tight and it’s been two months now since my last dusting and I’ve notice a BIG differents… NO DUST.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt

22. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA

That's what I was thinking that you would need to do to be able to see the cars better. I would be very easy to do.

23. DieCast MotorSports

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    #24 DieCast MotorSports, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    The units have holes in the top for the puck lights. I have two cars to a shelf in mine, which means a total of eight cars. I will have to see if I have any photos of mine to show.

24. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I envy your collection, one of the most amazing I have ever seen.