Kyosho 1:12 F40's part swaps from LW to reg F40 & reverse | FerrariChat

Kyosho 1:12 F40's part swaps from LW to reg F40 & reverse

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F40-288GTO, Feb 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    I just started a second venture with my yosho 1:12 F40's. Making COMPLETE conversion from regular / common look F40 to lightweights. I am doing this with of cousre the yellow F40 and blk one. The first to be done is the easier the Yellow , because it already has the blk seats.

I will post photo's and explanations. NOT something everyone car do if you never built models etc, steady hand forsure. To makesure you break the glued areas but not the tabs or parts themselves. And removing the engine parts his to say the least tricky.Re-install should be fun.

ALSO: I have taken 2 kyosho yellow 1:12 F40's apart. Both still apart one waiting for just a seat colour swap to red possiblily. Another into likely total lightweight, or at least the exhuast and rims

My other one in my first experience broke the rear lift gate glass , because I lost focus of what needed to be done first and because of hidden attachments .Second car went easy no problems.

So I took out interior and dash for separte display.
    And COMPLETE engine with suport framing and complete rear axle assenbly , so I left one wheel on the other off and mirror underneath. I used the 2 front tires as spares in 2 of my other 1:12's and used the rears with the engine display.

I tell you that engine makes a SUPER COOL display even better then the pocher 1/8th motor because it is more complete and better done , UNLESS you take the pocher 1/8th and add all the photo-etch parts etc to it. So does the Blk interior .

2. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Can't wait to see this! What are you doing with the body parts from the 'trashed' F40 (ie the hood and front airdam)?

3. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Well not sure don't have any plans. I tried to see if the Fujimi 1:12 diecast glass would work in the Kyosho . but no . would any of the plastic 1:12 models glass work ???? Anyways if I can not think of any plans for the left over parts , I will selll them if anyones interested in them.

Funny I had not planned to take the rear glass out. I was buffing down some paint imperfections close to the bottom body near glass, and noticed I was remove the flat blk paint trim they have on the glass.

NOW the stupid part instead of masking off the bottom of the glass, and then contniue buffing.Funny the buffing was working perfect too.

I decided OH that looks like it comes out easy, I'll just remove the glass. Wrong move aspecially where some mounting tabs were hidden behind other parts I was not going to remove or thought I did not need to remove .

Yes I was ticked for destorying a perfectly good car, that my buffing was doing the trick.
    Just lost track / focus I what I was doing / needed to be done. Maybe rushing too.

Mind you I had already used the wheels & tires from this car before I damaged it for use as display etc. So I had planned to sell it cheaper ,with out rims and tires , because you can get aftermaket ones for these cars.

4. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I know how you feel. I was just dusting my 1/12 Autoart Murcielago and took the photoetched 'Lamborghini' badge off the back. It fell apart and I was gutted. Luckily an email to Autoart got me a couple of replacements free of charge! Let me know if you want to 'off-load' the body parts - I have an idea for a project! ;-)

5. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Sure , if you can send me your email.

6. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    #6 F40-288GTO, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    PHOTO #1....REMOVED PARTS.

PHOTOS #2,3 & 4....TOOLS BEST TO USE.THE SMALLEST JEWERLER SCREW DRIVER FILED DOWN TO SHARP EDGE. DO NOT RECOMMEND XO-KNIVES ETC.

AND LOTS OF GREAT LIGHTING RIGHT IN WERE YOU NEED TO WORK. DO NOT PROP THAT HOOD / SUPPORT THAT HOOD WITH IT STOCK PROP-ROD AND NOT TOO HIGH OR YOU CHIP PAINT OFF TO HATCH HINGES.

I USED THE DAMAGE BLUE PLASTIC TOOL AS A SAFER GENTLIER PROD-ROD. LIGHT I USED THER BASE SLIDES UNDER MANY DIECAST OR JUST BOOST UP YOURS CARA LITTLE HIGHER FOR IT TO BE USED AND THE LIGHT PART CAN EXTEND OUT FURTHER FOR EVEN WIDER PROJECTS.

PHOTO #5....LIGHTWEIGHT PARTS REQUIRED FOR SWAP.

PHOTO #6....THE PARTS YOU NEED TO REMOVE. BESIDES THE CHROME EXHAUST PARTS IN PHOTO #5.

PHOTO #7....TWO ATTACHMENT POINTS ON EXHAUST HEADERS TO BREAK PARTS LOOSE FROM.

PHOTO #8 & 9....TOP SHIELD AND BOTTOM SHIELDS NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS CROSS MEMBER AND TURBO'S FROM A SPOT POINTED OUT BY THE WHITE POINTER. TURBO HAS A FEW ATTACHMENT POINTS TO BREAK LOOSE.

PHOTO #10 & 11....ONCE ALL ATTACHMENT POINTS ARE TAKEN APART , ANOTHER VERY TRICKY PART TRYING TO REMOVE THE TURBO SYSTEM & ITS PIPES FROM BEHIND THAT CROSS MEMBER SUPPORT, BY PUSHING IT BACK / TOWARDS FRONT OF CAR AND TILT UPWARDS AND TURBO END.

AND AT SAME TIME PUSHING DOWN ON THE BOTTOM SECTIONS OF THOSE 2 INTERCOOLERS. I POINTED TO THE PASSENGER SIDE ONE WITH THE RIGHT FINGER IN PHOTO #10

PHOTO #11....YOU HAVE TO CAREFULLY PUSH DOWN ON THE BOTTOM HAFTS OF THE BOXES WITH THE AIR INTERCOOLER LIE ON TOP OF.

PRESS DOWN TOO HARD AND YOU BREAK THE RED PAINTED AREA AND OR IT'S ATTACHMENT POINTS UP INSIDE THE CAR'S BODY.

PHOTO #12....SHOWS MY ENGINE USED FOR DISPLAY, A REGULAR VERSION COMMPLETE WITH FRAME SUPPORT AND AXLE ASSEMBLY. I ALSO USED IT TO BETTER SEE WHAT NEED TO BBE DONE FOR THE lw PART REMOVAL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Anyone interested in a near complete RED regular 1:12 F40. Only thing missing are the rims and tires. other then that the car is mint. with the exception you have to reassemble the parts of the engine which make it different then the LM engine. And re-install the inner door panels and glass. I have two of these to sell. They used to be the first generation LM cars. Plus I do have a yellow one basically totally apart. One member here said he was interested in air dam and front bonnet.

8. dc2r

dc2r Rookie

Apr 11, 2015
    hello. i registered here just to find you lol.

i have a 1/12 lightweight with a damaged rear engine cover (ie. the metal shell with the wing). i would like to know if you have a complete undamaged rear cover (with hinges/hardware) that i can use to repair it (or a complete parts car for cheap) for sale?

i am from british columbia.

thanks!

9. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    I have as mention yes A Red kyosho 1/12 Ferrari F40 complete with out wheels and tires. It used to be the FIRST generation LW they release that did not have the actual LW rear spoiler. The inner door panels and glass were and part of the engine was of course swapped out as it used to be a LW and no rims and tires. Also the swapped out parts you will need to put back on the car. VERY easy and I could if need be talk you threw it I guess. I took five F40's apart lol.

So you would infact be getting a ( Regular red F40 complete with out rims and tires )...I had one car I busted out the rear glass so I stripped car Yellow F40 and use the dash and complete interior as one display and took the complete engine out with rear drive axle and display that. They make for cool displays. And there won't be too many people besides me and maybe you with both those items on display out of an expensive Kyosho 1/12 F40. A damaged one sold this year with broken glass too, for over $350 US not including what it would have cost you for CUSTOMS and cdn EXCHANGE .

You can have one for $300 CDN and not including what ever it cost for shipping to you. I don't think it be in it's regular box BUT I am a shipper receiver and it will be packed better then these things ever are when we buy them. I do have pay pal and get you to send it in cdn funds. Once I get a shipping quote. do you have a preference for shipping and suggest insurance. Troy Elliott. What is your name ????? My number 902-489-5759. if I don't answer leave a detail message or two. My email > [email protected]. Would if you decide all your shipping info.

10. dc2r

dc2r Rookie

Apr 11, 2015
    hello. elliot. i have sent you email. thanks for the reply.

i am looking buy your rear bodywork (ie. the part you have with the broken glass) because the hinges are broken, as well as the prop rod, because my LW was damaged in an accident. it is being stripped down ready for a full respray by an airbrush artist but i would rather replace than repair said bodywork before proceeding further.

11. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Sent message threw phone came back undeliverable. That yellow rear and front end are spoken for. Seems like a lot of diecast they do get broken by pets or moving etc.

12. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    If I end up parting out just the yellow rear section if other gent changes his mind it will be same price $100 not including ship and insurance.

13. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    thanks for the quote. i will contact the other seller right now to confirm his prices before deciding and get back to you. Your email is no longer working ben.

14. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Mine are cdn prices too. no customs and etc ..

15. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    ben your email is not working

16. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    Ben please get back to me asap as to whether you want this part or not. thanks

17. F40-288GTO

F40-288GTO Karting

Oct 13, 2009
    N.S CANADA
    What's with the EXTREMELY HIGH prices on Ebay for the Kyosho 1/12 Ferrari F40 > red one with LW rear spoiler. Around $750 Cdn not including customs cost WOW !!!!!!. That's nuts.

I just bought the blk true LM rear spoiler version for a total of $539.00 cdn including shipping and everything from Canadian retailer.

That plenty to pay for something like this. And to be honest Kyosho still can not get there S _ _ T to gether with good quality paint. Heck Maisto no joke is smoother paint. lol.

18. F40&288GTO

F40&288GTO Rookie

Feb 13, 2017
    NOVA SCOTIA CANADA
    Full Name:
    TROY BRADLEY ELLIOTT
    Now selling 2 of my Kyosho Red F40 regular version. One at a time, and lower then others. And have a lot of parts if anyone else needs repair parts. Now I display one complete front end. Cool. So total was 15 now will be done to 12 of these F40's. And I just customised most of them.