Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Collectables, Literature, & Models - Sponsored by Amalgam Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriaan1 View Post
+1
Agreed...some of us still build with a passion. Many, many hours spent on research and on the workbench.

Last edited by PeterWPro; 11-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

The Latest...with a rear view mirror on the driver's door. And the nose does not look correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMC GTO.jpg (64.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by PeterWPro; 11-09-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Wiggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleAutoArt View Post
The Latest...with a rear view mirror on the driver's door. And the nose does not look correct.
They used quick filler cap from the 312P....wrong for the 312P and wrong for the GTO as well.
Kyosho is maybe best shaped GTO 62 in 1/18
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Seth
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigodino View Post
...................I wish CMC would come out with a 512S or M or a 500 TRC. I also hope they have tackled their quality control issues. The 312 P was pretty bad in that respect.
Peter, I think you may have the wrong Company. I discovered CMC over a decade ago, visited their USA distributor and negotiated a sales agreement by which the Saratoga Automobile Museum, of which I'm a founding officer and trustee, would sell their models in our gift shop. I have four of their absolutely superb models myself and follow their model introductions. While I could be mistaken I do not believe they've ever made a 312P.

p.s. I want a TdF blue GTO!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:10 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Martin N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidcva11 View Post
Peter, I think you may have the wrong Company..... While I could be mistaken I do not believe they've ever made a 312P.
You actually are completely wrong. Sorry,have no other pics on my IPad, therefore I use this link to my thread.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/col...ce-livery.html

They even made the Spyder.

And talking about the CMC GTO. I agree, the nose is not 100% correct. But neither it is on the 1:12 MFH kit. And the CMC's rear view, which is completely wrong on the MFH is next to perfect on the CMC. As is the front view.

Best Regards
Martin
Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Seth
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin308GTB View Post
You actually are completely wrong. Sorry,have no other pics on my IPad, therefore I use this link to my thread.

And talking about the CMC GTO. I agree, the nose is not 100% correct. But neither it is on the 1:12 MFH kit. And the CMC's rear view, which is completely wrong on the MFH is next to perfect on the CMC. As is the front view.

Best Regards
Martin
Peter and Martin, I am completely wrong! I'm sorry too to be so wrong ;-) I suppose I came too late to the CMC party, only discovered them about 10-11 years ago.

In addition, I likely do not have your modellers' precise eye for the exquisite detail on many models. To my eye the CMC models I have are simply amazing for series-produced pieces. Thanks for the correction. I still want a blue GTO.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:

Best Regards
Martin
Please elaborate / pin point the inaccuracies on the MFH GTO. You have my undivided attention.

IMO the nose is too "flattened" and the rear...I don't know if I agree on "next to perfect", it looks too narrow from the rear to me but then again each and every GTO made was a little different, early ones also had a riveted rear spoiler and laters moulded in...so this could be a long discussion

Keep in mind the CMC is based on 3809GT which was crashed and rebuilt in England, apparently many concur that is was not done correctly. It's a bit of an oddball.

CMC Rear view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMC GTO rear.jpg (22.8 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by PeterWPro; 11-09-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pedro Braga Soares
About the GTO, (and i am far from being an expert either in GTos or modelcars), i still believe the Kyosho is the best option in 1/18 scale, so i'll be keeping mine (1962 le mans winner) and wich was 3 times cheaper tan the cmc.....obviously it is a lot less detailed, but at least the shape is more acurate.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:42 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Please elaborate / pin point the inaccuracies on the MFH GTO. You have my undivided attention.

we had this discussion before. Please compare:

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Best Regards
Martin
Old 11-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Formula 3
Consultant

My Garage
Quote:
Keep in mind the CMC is based on 3809GT which was crashed and rebuilt in England, apparently many concur that is was not done correctly.
Yep. #3809GT's reconstructed nose IS wrong. CMC models are always based on restored car. And many of them have wrong restored noses, rears, etc...
Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIOTTO View Post
Yep. #3809GT's reconstructed nose IS wrong. CMC models are always based on restored car. And many of them have wrong restored noses, rears, etc...
Another car to compare.
As far as I know, this GTO was not restored up to the day, I took the pictures in April 1999. ( Tour Auto 1999 ). And in 2002 ( first Le Mans Classic ). It's Nick Mason's and it even showed some corrosion here and there.

Best Regards
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z1 - 4.jpg (79.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Z7 - 4.jpg (77.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Z2 - 3_small.jpg (55.4 KB, 136 views)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
we had this discussion before. Please compare:

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Best Regards
Martin
You are asking me to compare it to the highly modified Ireland car? That's absurd I have the Ireland version on my workbench. The rear spoiler is not "typical" of most GTOs and the nose is completely different than the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0939.jpg (61.3 KB, 119 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Another car to compare.
As far as I know, this GTO was not restored up to the day, I took the pictures in April 1999. ( Tour Auto 1999 ). And in 2002 ( first Le Mans Classic ). It's Nick Mason's and it even showed some corrosion here and there.

Best Regards
Martin
Can't compare it to that one either...the CMC has a molded in rear spoiler from the later cars. I still think the CMC looks too narrow in the rear.

No point in arguing this...keep in mind that photo angles, lighting, etc and play a role in how things "look". I am comfortable with the MFH shape. If a client wants a particular version it is up to the builder to look at that chassis number and make adjustments. They are all a little different. Only problem with the CMC is it is based on the restored car that deviates too far from the norm.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Modified MFH to Ireland car...also note the fuel filler and oil sump filler are both on the left side of the car. Not typical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1241 (1).jpg (56.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
You are asking me to compare it to the highly modified Ireland car? That's absurd I have the Ireland version on my workbench. The rear spoiler is not "typical" of most GTOs and the nose is completely different than the others.
You don't get it, right?
Look at the rear window shape. It simply is too flat on the MFH and doesn't resemble the actual car. And it's not the lifting window surround. I do not talk about individual details like spoilers and such.
The shape was wrong on the 1:20 version as well.
At such kit price I expect the model maker (MFH) to adjust the mold after the first prototype runs. Instead they seem to rely on folks, who just dont't see such subtle - not so subtle difference in this case - differences in overall appearance.
Just like Kyosho, who failed completely with the shape of their 3x8.

Best Regards
Martin

Last edited by Martin308GTB; 11-10-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Another car to compare.

Best Regards
Martin
Martin, how many GTOs remain unrestored until today? If there is any of them left with the old patina. Of all, i think Wang's blue is still untouched.

Correct?
Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
You don't get it, right?
Look at the rear window shape. It simply is too flat on the MFH and doesn't resemble the actual car. And it's not the lifting window surround. I do not talk about individual details like spoilers and such.
The shape was wrong on the 1:20 version as well.
At such kit price I expect the model maker (MFH) to adjust the mold after the first prototype runs. Instead they seem to rely on folks, who just dont't see such subtle - not so subtle difference in this case - differences in overall appearance.
Just like Kyosho, who failed completely with the shape of their 3x8.

Best Regards
Martin
I get it my friend but disagree. Talk down to someone else. In person the shape is dead on. Have you seen the body in person? And in the case of Fred's rear window the frame is not only lifting it is not shaped or installed properly. I don't think MFH ever did a 1/20 GTO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.2 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by PeterWPro; 11-10-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
I get it my friend but disagree. Talk down to someone else. In person the shape is dead on. Have you seen the body in person? And in the case of Fred's rear window the frame is not only lifting it is not shaped or installed properly. I don't think MFH ever did a 1/20 GTO.
Sorry, meant 1:24

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-c...i-250-gto-1962

Anyway, what a waste of time

Best
Martin
Old 11-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Sorry, meant 1:24

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-c...i-250-gto-1962

Anyway, what a waste of time

Best
Martin
Tell me about it!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Unrestored GTO's...... corect one, wrong one, etc, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NürScud View Post
Martin, how many GTOs remain unrestored until today? If there is any of them left with the old patina. Of all, i think Wang's blue is still untouched.

Correct?
Well, I don't want to jump into this debate. It has become a bit unpleasant. Suffice it to say that we all know there are so many differences and nuances to these cars, some of which have been correctly pointed out by everyone. I am lucky enough to have access to several of the 1:1 GTO's, and that's all I'll say.

Now about "Unrestored." To answer NürScud's question, and my apologies to Martin for jumping in here with this answer. There is only ONE unrestored GTO..... owned since 1967 by a good friend of mine, and it is still regularly vintage raced today. Ch. No. 3647 GT. However, it was rebuilt by the factory after its big shunt with Jim Clark's Aston Zagato in the 1962 Goodwood Tourist Trophy race, and then again another big racing shunt in 1963, and again rebuilt by the factory in 1963, and then back to racing. Some details have changed slightly on this GTO over the years, but it is mostly the way it was in 1963.

Wang's "blue" GTO is VERY far from "untouched."
Non-Sponsor Ads