Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Collectables, Literature, & Models - Sponsored by Amalgam Collection

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Martin308GTB's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Full Name: Martin N.
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusso123 View Post
Well, I don't want to jump into this debate. It has become a bit unpleasant. Suffice it to say that we all know there are so many differences and nuances to these cars, some of which have been correctly pointed out by everyone. I am lucky enough to have access to several of the 1:1 GTO's, and that's all I'll say.

Now about "Unrestored." To answer NürScud's question, and my apologies to Martin for jumping in here with this answer. There is only ONE unrestored GTO..... owned since 1967 by a good friend of mine, and it is still regularly vintage raced today. Ch. No. 3647 GT. However, it was rebuilt by the factory after its big shunt with Jim Clark's Aston Zagato in the 1962 Goodwood Tourist Trophy race, and then again another big racing shunt in 1963, and again rebuilt by the factory in 1963, and then back to racing. Some details have changed slightly on this GTO over the years, but it is mostly the way it was in 1963.

Wang's "blue" GTO is VERY far from "untouched."
Does this mean, that Nick Mason's car was restored before prior to 1999.? I know, that he restored the car later in the 2000s and it now has bonnet louvres due to pragmatic reasons ( under hood temperatures while participating in serious historic racing ).
But in '99 it has still worn a lot of nice patina.

Best
Martin
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #42  
Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Full Name: John Gould
Posts: 713
Perspective

I am not a professional model builder but have a collection of about 500 top quality 1/43 and several 1/18 models accumulated over many years. The majority please me but occassionally something from one of the respected manufacturers looks wrong.

I was once discussing this with one of the UK's most acclaimed modellers and he explained that this is part of the buck maker's art. 1/43 models tend to be viewed from above and sometimes need a subtle change of line to look right from that perspective, wheras a perfect copy might look distorted compared to the full sized original, which is usually viewed from a more or less level perspective.

I don't know, but assume these adjustments are less necessary as size increases - 1/12, 1/8 etc should be more or less bang on, as viewers tend to look at them from a lower level.

Then of course, the originals have in most cases been rebuilt and may have been slightly different at the outset - depending upon whether Luigi or Mario built it and when. We must remember that these were built in small batches, if not individually.

In the context of this thread, I suppose I am saying that in some instances it is hard to say whether a model is right or wrong!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM
PeterWPro's Avatar
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Full Name: Peter
Posts: 640
I think a passionate discussion is a better way to describe it 😎
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-10-2015, 03:53 PM
PeterWPro's Avatar
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Full Name: Peter
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngtc View Post
I am not a professional model builder but have a collection of about 500 top quality 1/43 and several 1/18 models accumulated over many years. The majority please me but occassionally something from one of the respected manufacturers looks wrong.

I was once discussing this with one of the UK's most acclaimed modellers and he explained that this is part of the buck maker's art. 1/43 models tend to be viewed from above and sometimes need a subtle change of line to look right from that perspective, wheras a perfect copy might look distorted compared to the full sized original, which is usually viewed from a more or less level perspective.

I don't know, but assume these adjustments are less necessary as size increases - 1/12, 1/8 etc should be more or less bang on, as viewers tend to look at them from a lower level.

Then of course, the originals have in most cases been rebuilt and may have been slightly different at the outset - depending upon whether Luigi or Mario built it and when. We must remember that these were built in small batches, if not individually.

In the context of this thread, I suppose I am saying that in some instances it is hard to say whether a model is right or wrong!

All valid points...well stated.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 412
Nick Mason's GTO 3757 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin308GTB View Post
Does this mean, that Nick Mason's car was restored before prior to 1999.? I know, that he restored the car later in the 2000s and it now has bonnet louvres due to pragmatic reasons ( under hood temperatures while participating in serious historic racing ).
But in '99 it has still worn a lot of nice patina.

Best
Martin
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had been restored prior to 1999. Car had many owners before Mason. Nonetheless, his GTO is/has been restored just like all the rest..... except for 3647 GT, which remains the ONLY unrestored 250 GTO.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Martin308GTB's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Full Name: Martin N.
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleAutoArt View Post
Tell me about it!
Sorry, I opt out this discussion, since I do only accept very few scale models as being acceptable - and the MFH GTO isn't - and anyway I prefer open wheelers in 1:12.


Like always. It's a matter of personal taste, but for closed wheelers I prefer the smaller scales.
I have once built a 512 BB LM in 1:43 high detail model from forgotten manufacturer Provence Moulage. This pleased me more, than big, sometimes bulky big scale cars.

So to sum up my preferences: Big scale for open wheelers. Small scale for closed wheelers.

Best
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 PM
PAP 348's Avatar
Eight Time F1 World Champ
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mount Isa, Australia
Full Name: Pap
Posts: 83,266
My Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin308GTB View Post
Another car to compare.
As far as I know, this GTO was not restored up to the day, I took the pictures in April 1999. ( Tour Auto 1999 ). And in 2002 ( first Le Mans Classic ). It's Nick Mason's and it even showed some corrosion here and there.

Best Regards
Martin
What an awesome car that is!!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusso123 View Post
Well, I don't want to jump into this debate. It has become a bit unpleasant. Suffice it to say that we all know there are so many differences and nuances to these cars, some of which have been correctly pointed out by everyone. I am lucky enough to have access to several of the 1:1 GTO's, and that's all I'll say.

Now about "Unrestored." To answer NürScud's question, and my apologies to Martin for jumping in here with this answer. There is only ONE unrestored GTO..... owned since 1967 by a good friend of mine, and it is still regularly vintage raced today. Ch. No. 3647 GT. However, it was rebuilt by the factory after its big shunt with Jim Clark's Aston Zagato in the 1962 Goodwood Tourist Trophy race, and then again another big racing shunt in 1963, and again rebuilt by the factory in 1963, and then back to racing. Some details have changed slightly on this GTO over the years, but it is mostly the way it was in 1963.

Wang's "blue" GTO is VERY far from "untouched."
I understood. I mentioned it because i've read somewhere that it is maybe the only one unrestored.

Thank you very much about the information and my apologies to Martin too for this unpleasant 'interruption'.

Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #49  
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 567
At least judging by the pictures the front looks little off. I agree that Kyosho model looks better
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/collectables-literature-models-sponsored-amalgam-collection/501774-cmc-gto.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ferrari de route au 1/18ème (1/18) This thread Refback 03-26-2016 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.