CMC GTO!!!!!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

CMC GTO!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by furoni, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, CMC as just anounced the release of the 250 GTO in 4 colours...red, yelow, blue and silver.....all plain versions, no racing liveries (wich is probably for the best since they usualy screw up).....

Home - CMC Classic Model Cars

Now, didn't they anounce that they were fi nished with Ferrari licencing!!??? Can't figure this one out!!
    Model looks good, but so is the old Kyosho at half the price.......

2. gpiro

gpiro Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2007
    NJ
    I wonder if all are limited editions?

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Finally a model of a 250 GTO!

:rolleyes:

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Finally? don't you like the Kyosho versions?
    I think they are not limited.....

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi Pedro,

I was being sarcastic. I mean, of all the different classic Ferrari tipos made, are we really wanting yet another GTO model? I think BBR is doing a fantastic job with their line lately (275 GTB/spider, 365 California, 400 SA etc).

I think the GTO is already covered for each kind of collector:
    - entry level: Hot Wheels/Bburago,
    - high end with opening parts: Kyosho,
    - high end sealed: BBR.

I wish CMC would come out with a 512S or M or a 500 TRC. I also hope they have tackled their quality control issues. The 312 P was pretty bad in that respect.

6. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    a yellow one, silver without stripe, wrong blue
    4 different cars with same body
    looks like they do the same like they did with the Aston Martin Zagato
    a lot of cars and all are wrong
    SORRY

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Just saw that on FB. I thought their license was expired with Ferrari. Their 250 TR is the best example in 1/18 for it's value. Then, there is Amalgam for higher prices.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree, i have the TR and it's very, very good, a a very good price...the swb was also very good....

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry Peter, my bad...i fully agree...why not make the 64 version instead...all we have are the crappy Guilloys and Jouef.....

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Once again CMC have proved that they don't have a good understanding of the market. Why not make a good '64 GTO as many have already suggested, or how about a 275 GTBC and get many versions - they could make many of something that no one else has done.... Well that would have been too logical, and would have taken some thought and research!! Granted there will always be buyers for a "CMC" GTO model, but so many collectors already have good series 1 GTO models, and the market for these models IS saturated. Everybody and their brother have made one, and for too many years now.

I'm happy with the several GTO models I already have (in 1:43, 1:18, and 1:12 scales) and am not very impressed with the CMC body shape as shown in their publicity photos - nose looks odd.... and there are, and there will most likely be other detail issues (as with many of their models). If you have to have one of these "**new**" GTO's, and if I was considering one, which I am Not, then I would wait until CMC and their numerous dealers start dumping them with various sales just as they have always done with most all of their models. or until dealers start discounting, which they will. Unfortunately the sale practice of theirs, along with everyone on eBay discounting the models does definitely devalue the CMC brand, and shows that they have as usual..... over produced.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    License for what? Car is 50+ years old
    Just dont place trademarks/logos on box and /or plinth

12. ItalianHorses

ItalianHorses Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Overall, a disappointment. On many levels.
    Carry on.

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Amalgam, imho very nice but maybe too perfect, extreme high prices (built in china!) and really lack "soul" and any emotion of a Conti, De Conto etc or a hand built kit of Steve Barnett or Klaus Göpfert's one-man-factory

14. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    +1

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The manufacturing and distribution of the suspended scale models does not require any license, in particular not from Ferrari.
    The model cars are true scale models of original Ferrari cars which were produced more than 25 years ago. Any design which has been published earlier than 25 years ago automatically belongs to the public domain because of the maximum duration of protection of any design registration. Therefore, no authorization is required for the production and distribution of respective scale models.
    Please further note that the European Court of Justice (ECJ) and various national courts accordingly (Germany, Spain, Italy etc) ruled that the affixing of a trade mark on scale models in order faithfully to reproduce original cars, and the marketing of those scale models does not constitute a use of the trade mark which the proprietor of the trade mark is entitled to prevent (cf. ECJ, Case C-48/05 – judgment of 25 January 2007, GRUR Int. 2007, 404 – Adam Opel / Autec, copy attached; Federal High Court of Germany

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    This GTO is built on the data collected from 3809GT. CMC likes to have their own datas from scanning and I think they had easy access to this one as the CMC Maserati 250F and 300S once were in the same stable in Germany so they might have scanned them in one go.
    I do not know how long the development of a model takes at CMC but they might have started long before the licence with Ferrari expired and maybe they decided to give it a go without one due to the already spent development costs?

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    CMC pointed out that their licence ended and they sold off the final stock of Ferrari models prior to this end. Those were all scale models of designs older than 25 years as well. I guess the problem might be less the design but the sale under the name "Ferrari 250 GTO" because of the Ferrari-Trademark...I am no lawyer so this is just a guess...

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    http://curia.europa.eu/juris/showPdf.jsf?text=&docid=65459&pageIndex=0&doclang=DE&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=879935
    http://curia.europa.eu/juris/showPdf.jsf?text=&docid=57161&pageIndex=0&doclang=DE&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=879935

A very big LIKE!

Thanks to AUTEC, but not many scale model manufacturers use this I think...yet
    And not only >25 years.......ALL designs can be used...even latest 488 / LaF etc

Autec told they do not need ANY licensing from IMG London (Ferrari, Volkswagen, Ducati)
    Check the models on their website :)

19. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
  20. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #21 PeterWPro, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Agreed...some of us still build with a passion. Many, many hours spent on research and on the workbench.

21. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #22 PeterWPro, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    They used quick filler cap from the 312P....wrong for the 312P and wrong for the GTO as well.
    Kyosho is maybe best shaped GTO 62 in 1/18

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Peter, I think you may have the wrong Company. I discovered CMC over a decade ago, visited their USA distributor and negotiated a sales agreement by which the Saratoga Automobile Museum, of which I'm a founding officer and trustee, would sell their models in our gift shop. I have four of their absolutely superb models myself and follow their model introductions. While I could be mistaken I do not believe they've ever made a 312P.

p.s. I want a TdF blue GTO!

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    You actually are completely wrong. Sorry,have no other pics on my IPad, therefore I use this link to my thread.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/collectables-literature-models/489855-cmc-1-18-ferrari-312-p-berlinetta-race-livery.html

They even made the Spyder.

And talking about the CMC GTO. I agree, the nose is not 100% correct. But neither it is on the 1:12 MFH kit. And the CMC's rear view, which is completely wrong on the MFH is next to perfect on the CMC. As is the front view.

Best Regards
    Martin