Amalgam Collection launch 1:18 scale collection! | FerrariChat

Amalgam Collection launch 1:18 scale collection!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by AmalgamCollection, Dec 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    #1 AmalgamCollection, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Are they curbside or with opening features? They look curbside in the photos.
    Nathan

3. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    You are correct, they are curbside with no opening features.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks very nice, is that a book in the bottom part of the case?

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Very nice, but do we really need yet another 250 GTO? I was hoping for other models overlooked by most model manufacturers so far. Like the 512M or the 275 GTB/C "GTO65" for example. I'm out anyway because I won't be paying 500+ for a curbside model.

6. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    I'm looking forward to the 250LM-the Technomodel isn't good enough, also to the 330P4, in multiple versionsI hope.

I'd love to see these two produced in 1:12th scale.

7. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    There is a leather effect folder in the base which contains the certificate and an Amalgam Collection notepad and pen.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Too bad about the absurd pricing, i'm pretty sure they are great models...but not at that price.

9. rysc97

rysc97 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John

Can you make the models cheaper without all these nonsense?
    Because I only want a beautiful model to look at and do not need all these crap! ;)

10. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    +1.....

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    One thing I have noticed missing, which is conspicuous in its absence, is the mention anywhere of how many will be made of this GTO, as well as each other model in this new series. Are these limited in any way? What is the planned quantity to be produced of each model? In this price range... I would expect that to be listed.

12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'd take one if it was priced better.

Perhaps you can do this by offering a case/base/book delete?. Personally I don't like the case and would probably pitch it or put it in storage. It completely overpowers the model and is an unneeded distraction. At this scale I would want to display it in a larger collective display case with many others.

13. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    I'm curious - does anyone have a grasp of what the dimensions for this scale are?

14. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
  15. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    This looks nice. Congrats to Amalgam for jumping into the 1/18 market.

As far as price, guys, this is not that much more than a high end BBR 1/18 model. They are approaching $500 in price for some of their 1/18 models. I believe the 1/18 LaFerrari approach that price.

From my little bit of review, I believe the Amalgam product is a little better than the BBR product in detail and in assembly quality.

As far as the added book, it's a unique feature that adds a little something to the overall product. It could be a nice place for the owner of the real car (yes in this case we're talking about a 250 GTO) to write down their ownership experience and it could go with the model.

Yes, perhaps a bit over the top but I like the creative thinking that Amalgam is applying here. And I give them kudos for presenting their work to the peanut gallery.

Bravo Amalgam.

-F

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    IMO the base is overdone...the ones they use for the 1/8 and 1/12 models look much nicer.....i also believe it takes some focus and atention on the model, to me the base should be classy but as simple as possible. AS for the price, i was expecting Amalgam to be more expensive the their direct competition, however, it still remains to be seen if the model is actually any better then the competition. BBRs are far from being flawless, but so far nothing i have seen tells me that the Amalgam GTO is any better then the BBR or the Kyosho that is sold for less then half the price!! Also, from the list Amalgam released, BBr has done the 250tr for about 220€...and they were very good. Same with the 375+ that is even better as it's fully open model!!
    I'm always happy to see more companys delivering racing Ferraris in 1/18 scale, but frankly i think the prices are absurd and i cannot justify them.....of course others will think diferently and won't mind spending more in order to get something more exclusive, even if not necesserely better. Still, i look forward to see one in the "metal" or should i say"resin" to make my mind about it.

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I totally agree. The base is nasty. The chosen subjects are the same cars that have already been modelled in 1:18 (and I especially agree about the BBR 375+ which is one of my favourites) often to a high standard. Yet another 250 GTO! No engine detail or opening parts. Silly price. So a fail on every front for me. Or maybe at that price they only need to sell 3 to make a profit so don't care. Very disappointed.

Jonathan

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I don't buy built models or 1/18th scale models, but I have to say this one looks pretty nice. Maybe the best looking body shape for a GTO I have seen in 1/18th scale.

19. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Where is the production location for the 1:18 models ... UK? Thanks :))

20. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    probably China...

21. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thanks but if this is true then the price is too much!

22. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    They are manufactured in China.

23. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Would there be any spevial discount for F-chat members?

24. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Seems to me some forum members are bit harsh to our forum sponsor concerning pricing and content- a sure way to discourage them from continuing to support the forum.

25. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Compared to what? BBR 1:18's are sometimes that price.

And by the way, the premium price isn't supporting cheap Chinese labor. Good R+D and project management in the UK isn't cheap.

-F