1948 Monaco Grand Prix Document - This is interesting! | FerrariChat

1948 Monaco Grand Prix Document - This is interesting!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by so_choice, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 so_choice, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just acquired a small but rare lot of vintage Monaco Grand Prix memorabilia from France (Programs, ticket stubs, etc). Among the items was a very interesting typed document.

The document discusses the 1948 Monaco Grand Prix and a pen notation at the top appears to read "copier pour Monsieur le President de Counseil Economic (To copy for the President of the Economic Council). My (Canadian) French is very limited and Google translate is not ideal. However, the document appears to be describing the proposal for the Grand Prix and addressing many of the concerns the government of Monaco would have had. This was a notable event being the first Grand Prix in Monaco after the war.

Information in the document appears to include

- An early list of expected participants and the countries they are from. Names include Johnson, Wimilie, Sommer, Etacelin, Dusio, Taruffi, Villoresi, Ascari, Graffenried, Cornet, Verkade, Windengreen, Bira, Galvez and Landis

- A lengthy discussion around the politics of Louis Chiron participating under the Monaco flag (as opposed to French)

- A summary of the prize money available

- A list of officials and organizations to be invited to the event.

- Brief information on tourism projections, event safety / medical services, etc.

- A summary of opinions regarding opinions on allowing Pari Mutuel (wagering / gambling) at the race. Most officials are listed in favor but one seemed to have concerns that gambling could compromise the integrity of the competition.

See the documents photographed for actual wording - I would really appreciate any additional information or insights, either from translation or knowledge of the history of the event.

Also, is this just a neat piece of history or does it have any collector value?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Absolutely amazing. I'm quite envious you have that.

What other stuff did you get? And how did you happen upon it?

3. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 so_choice, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks! I am attaching the rest of the lot.

- 1932 Revue de L'Automobile Club de Monaco program
    - 1934 Le Petit Nicois Newspaper - Grand Prix Supplement (AMAZING piece with a photo of the Scuderia Ferrari!)
    - 1934 Monte Carlo Grand Prix Lottery ticket (prizes were Peugeot cars / motorcycle)
    - 1948 Monaco Grand Prix Program
    - 1948 Monaco Grand Prix rule book
    - 5x 1948 Monaco Grand Prix punched ticket stubs (green)
    - 2x 1948 Monaco Grand Prix Rue des Princes entry tickets (red). These have course maps on the back
    - 2x 1973 Monaco Grand Prix programs.

I purchased some incredible 1920s coachbuilder drawings off eBay that I am still researching. While corresponding with that seller, he told me he had these available - impossible to say no!

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Holy crap I am jealous!!!

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001