Amalgam Collection - 250 LM 1:18 scale model launch | FerrariChat

Amalgam Collection - 250 LM 1:18 scale model launch

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by AmalgamCollection, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    New model launch - Ferrari 250LM at 1:18 scale - Amalgam Collection

The Ferrari 250 LM – car #21 the overall winner of the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1965 – driven by Jochen Rindt, Masten Gregory (and unofficially by Ed Hugus) – entered by the NART (North American Racing Team)

A finely detailed model at 1:18 scale.

The 1965 24 hours of Le Mans proved to be a comprehensive victory for Ferrari over the Ford GT40s and Porsches they were up against largely based on their strength and reliability. Ferrari had developed the mid-engined LM for the GT category at Le Mans but homologation was refused by the ‘Commission Sportive Internationale de la FIA’ so the cars were entered as ‘prototypes’ instead. These cars continue to be designated 250 LM because the first car built was fitted with a 3.0 litre engine, but the cars delivered to customers should according to the Ferrari system be called 275 LM because they were powered by a 3.3 litre engine with each cylinder displacing just under 275 ccs. Being a development of production engines, they were very reliable, the most important factor in giving them victory in 1965.

The Ford GT40 Mark IIs took the lead at the start, but lost a part of their advantage in frequent refuelling. The weather was hot, and overheating began to trouble the GT40s. Bob Bondurant and Umberto Maglioli’s No. 7 had head gasket failure before 20:00 and on the same lap Herbert Müller and Ronnie Bucknum’s No. 6 overheated terminally. After the failure of the GT40s four Ferraris were leading and the only Ford powered car in contention was the Dan Gurney/Jerry Grant Cobra Daytona coupe. Around midnight Gurney and Grant had risen to third overall when the Cobra’s motor mounts began to crack and Gurney had to park the blue coupe after 204 laps.

All the leading prototypes had pit stops to change disk brakes (an operation that required between 20 and 30 minutes) except the 250 LMs that put less stress on the brakes so that two of the 250 LMs were leading at 04:00. The Belgian Pierre Dumay’s yellow car led the NART 250 LM of Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory. The NART car had lost time with ignition problems, but now the engine was sounding clear and the car was gaining several seconds on each lap so that soon after 13:00 the Belgian Ferrari was around a minute ahead of the NART car but Rindt was gaining 12 seconds a lap. As the leader needed only one refuelling stop to finish the race while the NART car would have to stop twice, a close finish was expected. Then a rear tire disintegrated on the leading Belgian car destroying a large part of the aluminium bodywork. It took the Belgian team five laps to have the car ready to re-join the race, which was more than enough to give the victory to Rindt and Gregory.

It came to light many years later that Ed Hugus the relief driver, had actually driven a session in the 250 LM when Rindt couldn’t be found while sleeping somewhere. Hugus’s drive was kept a secret and not credited because Gregory should not have been allowed to drive again once Hugus had driven and so the car should have been disqualified. Hugus’s drive remained a secret until it was revealed in the late 2000s when one of his fans made public a letter written to him by Hugus telling the story. The 250 LM was the last overall winner at Le Mans and was a victory for strength and reliability over raw speed.

New model launch - Ferrari 250LM at 1:18 scale - Amalgam Collection

2. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Question, is this a limited production model? if so how many and cost?

3. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    Hi,

We have not limited production to any of our 1:18 scale models (apart from 70th anniversary which is limited to 350 for each region).

Regarding cost, which currency would be ideal for you?

Many thanks.

4. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    US currency $$$ Pls

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Hey amalgam will you do a 1/18 2017 Ferrari F1?

6. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    $595.00 + shipping.

7. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    All I can say is, stay tuned. :)

8. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Absolute bargain :)

9. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Although the bodywork looks to be fine, the tire sidewall blue stripe looks too thick and too small in diameter, the Goodyear lettering should also be moved outwards...........

10. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #10 PeterWPro, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is an assumption on my part but if you look at this tire profile, and what appears to be the lines where the blue stripe would go, the model looks to be pretty close.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    The bodywork has problems. Specifically the front/nose. Not exact shape and too short. Quite noticeable when compared to period and current photos, and the real car.
    Front wire wheels are close, but not exact.

The tires actually look to be very well done, and very close to correct. The styles and shapes of old Goodyear's were significantly different from later period tires with regard to the placement and size of sidewall lettering, etc. I think they did a very good job with the tires.

12. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Have you seen one in person Marshall?...I will have one next week and will do my own critique then ;)

13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I have not seen this particular model in person, but can certainly see enough from the photos to notice what I have mentioned as well as some other issues I have not listed. One other thing that I and a few others noticed, is the great amount of wasted black space in the photos, which do not show the model well, and the particular angles/views they have chosen to show as well as not to show. That is often (but not always) a hint about some issues.

I have seen quite a number of real 250 LM's in person as well as the exact car that this model is supposed to replicate, 5893 GT. I also have a lot of period photos, books, etc on the 250 LM's.

In all fairness to Amalgam, the model should only be compared to the exact car it is a model of, not any other 250 LM. There are an extensive amount of differences - big to little, and of course all have been rebuilt, restored, etc. The '65 LM winner is restored, but not to exactly the way it was at Le Mans in '65.

Also, back in the 1980's, I was contracted to research and produce a high detail limited edition run of this exact 1965 Le Mans winning 250 LM in 1:12 scale. The client was an independent dealer. Unfortunately after about 1/3 of the way into the project the dealer ran out of money, so I stopped all work.

And regarding tires.....I can't begin to tell you the extent of reserach I have done on mid 1950's to mid 1960s Goodyear and Firestone tires.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..So i guess i should pick one and just swap the tires on my looksmart :)

15. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #15 PeterWPro, May 5, 2017
    Looking at period photos I do see the slight differences, especially between the front of the wheel well and the headlight surround. it's a tad short and the marker light is in the wrong location and a little too big which tends to emphasize the shortness of that wing section. I think the front wheel/tire is a little large compared to the period photos.

That said the rest looks pretty good to my eyes but I will reserve any further criticism until I have a model here.

16. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    From Lusso 123 photo, I still say the blue ring is too wide and also th eGoodyear front size is too large- and at this price point why can't;there be sidewall engravings?

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Your right about sometimes size of a part affecting the look of an area. But the front bodywork still wrong regardless of size & location of side light, which I took out of photo comparisons.

18. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    #18 Lusso123, May 5, 2017
    David, I think you do have a point here, and I believe I stand corrected..... mostly. Looking again at the tire, the blue rings do appear to be maybe just a little bit too wide. And upon a little further comparison.... I also firmly believe that the position of the Goodyear lettering and the blue rings is not correct. They are positioned a little too close to the wheel rim and too small in overall diameter.

The bright blue is too bright, at least in the photos, BUT.... that color issue may just be down to the reproduction of the photos and maybe a little photo-shop.

Attached are two pics, though not the best quality. Both are of the exact car. The one in the pits at Le Mans does show the size and positioning of the lettering and blue rings. The other photo is of one of the front wheels showing the correct location and spoking pattern, which is also the same on virtually all other 250 LM's.

19. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's amazing how anal things can get. It's all justified of course but the stress level must be pretty high 😎

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    It all depends.....

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #21 F1tommy, May 5, 2017
  22. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    Hello everyone,

many thanks for all your feedbacks. I have reported all these comments back to the team so we can continue to improve our models for the future and learn more in the process. Please to feel free to comment on anything else you would like us to take note of.

Once again, many thanks to the community.

Joe

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I must say that one of the things that impresses me the most and makes ne wanna buy a product from a certain brand is the fact that they are humble enough to listen, an comunicate with it's potential clients. I remenber once contacting Tecnomodel about the blue rims of the 365 p2 maranello concessionaires (that were shown silver in a pre production pictures) and got back to me with a pictures of the model with the rims in the correct colour...and i bought the model...too bad they ignored me on the back !
    green stripes!!!
    There are many knowledgeable colecters and builders would benefit iomensly if they listened more..clients would me more satisfied, and the builder would make better, more acurate models.

24. PeterWPro

PeterWPro Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It is all "constructive criticism". I learned this 40+ years ago in my very first design class in Architecture during open critique. Those who could not accept it tended to fail.

I will have the 250LM here later this week and will do my own critique.

25. AmalgamCollection

Sep 23, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Amalgam Collection
    It's absolutely important for us to listen to the community, who are after all our customers and also know a great deal about the models and cars. Sometimes even more than the experts themselves. Therefore we welcome any criticism, feedback, reviews and comments from each and every one.