Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Collectables, Literature, & Models

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
spike308's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Austin TX!
Full Name: Mike Z
Posts: 3,372
display cases - a nice source

Many a threads in the past looking for nice display cases, without much luck.
This site seems to have some nice ones (IMO), for not a ton of money.
disclaimer: I don't have one from them.... looks nice in the catalog / website
I just may get one!

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo...ass_Doors/150/
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Full Name: Eric
Posts: 817
The 72" Addison floor curio looks real tempting but it probably couldn't store more than a dozen 1/18th scale model comfortably. The Ikea Bertby glass door wall cabinet looks like a better setup to me.

Addison floor curio

Ikea Bertby

Last edited by Eric W; 01-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
sindo308qv's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: miami.fl.
Full Name: sindo
Posts: 3,439
IKEA has a bunce of display cases ,cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
dm_n_stuff's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Port Charlotte-->PHL
Full Name: Dave M.
Posts: 23,796
My Garage
Bertby works great. And if you're creative, or minimally skilled, can be recessed into a wall.

got a couple I need to install now, and one on the wall in the hall. $100, can't beat that.

DM
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
well-connected former global advising mudderator Super Dave (WCFGAMSD)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
spike308's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Austin TX!
Full Name: Mike Z
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
Bertby works great.
DM
The Bertby was off their web site for quite some time.
good to see it back!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
I like IKEA display cases. They have good prices too.
I have BILLY bookcase with plain glass doors to display my 1/18 die casts.
Also I got IKEA DETOLF glass cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206

I have install 4 additional shelf so I doubled up capacity. I have display between 16 to 21 1/18 cars.
I think DETOLF is good buy for the money I have paid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1961 View Post
I like IKEA display cases. They have good prices too.
I have BILLY bookcase with plain glass doors to display my 1/18 die casts.
Also I got IKEA DETOLF glass cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206

I have install 4 additional shelf so I doubled up capacity. I have display between 16 to 21 1/18 cars.
I think DETOLF is good buy for the money I have paid.
This is a good find. I can see putting 6-8 of these in a 4x2 arrangement in my study. Where do you get the extra shelf hardware from? Can you put 3 1/18 on each shelf? I need space for about 2000-3000 pieces of my collection.

Does anyone have this one? I think the color is more appropriate!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119032

Last edited by s2ktaxi; 01-04-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike308 View Post
The Bertby was off their web site for quite some time.
good to see it back!
That's probably because the last time that was mentioned here, the FChat community caused a run on their supply
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktaxi View Post
This is a good find. I can see putting 6-8 of these in a 4x2 arrangement in my study. Where do you get the extra shelf hardware from? Can you put 3 1/18 on each shelf? I need space for about 2000-3000 pieces of my collection.

Does anyone have this one? I think the color is more appropriate!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119032
You can put 3 side by side 1:18 scale on each shelf. I got 1/4 cold roll steel rod and cut 12 inch long pieces and friend of mine weld it half way between existing shelf. Glass shelf I got at local glass and mirror shop. I my prototype case I have installed 1/8 wire rope clips on vertical rod half way between shelf instead 1/4 cold roll rod. That was simple way and quick way to add some extra shelf. I hope that will help you to organize your collection.

Looks great.

Last edited by wingman1961; 01-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MD/FL/Philippines
Full Name: Mykol
Posts: 2,361
Ikea Bertby in Garage

I saw some garage pics by RoccoM in the Garage thread, and the Ikea Bertby looked great in his garage. Here is what he did with it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01106.JPG (106.6 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by Neonzapper; 01-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike308 View Post
Many a threads in the past looking for nice display cases, without much luck.
This site seems to have some nice ones (IMO), for not a ton of money.
disclaimer: I don't have one from them.... looks nice in the catalog / website
I just may get one!

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Oxfo...ass_Doors/150/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric W View Post
The 72" Addison floor curio looks real tempting but it probably couldn't store more than a dozen 1/18th scale model comfortably.

Addison floor curio
It's kind of funny! The other day I was checking the company website and came across a section for Display cabinets. I Didn't know this before, but these cabinets are put out out by another company, 1 of the many, that is owned by The Home Depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktaxi View Post
I need space for about 2000-3000 pieces of my collection.

Does anyone have this one? I think the color is more appropriate!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119032
s2ktaxi - If you are looking for something bigger and more "color appropriate", here is the one I liked when browsing the Sacramento Store about a year ago.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49842472

But if you have 2-3000 pieces, you may want to invest in having everything custom built to your liking. I plan on building out my office cabinets to accommodate my collection of 1:18 Diecast, My Book collection, CD collection and my office desk. The one I mentioned in the 1:64 Hot Wheels thread. With a large collection such as yours, that would be the best way to get it all displayed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1961 View Post
I like IKEA display cases. They have good prices too.
I have BILLY bookcase with plain glass doors to display my 1/18 die casts.
Also I got IKEA DETOLF glass cabinet.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206

I have install 4 additional shelf so I doubled up capacity. I have display between 16 to 21 1/18 cars.
I think DETOLF is good buy for the money I have paid.
Do you have any photos of your Detolf's with the cars?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCast MotorSports View Post
Do you have any photos of your Detolf's with the cars?

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/53fea364.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/105df5c1.jpg
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/a2f337c7.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 487
I have two Detolf cases and thought about doing the same to mine, but was concerned the lower models would be obscured from view when walking by. Do you have any photos of the whole unit?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieCast MotorSports View Post
I have two Detolf cases and thought about doing the same to mine, but was concerned the lower models would be obscured from view when walking by. Do you have any photos of the whole unit?

At this moment I don't have any photos of whole unit, but I should get some in next couple of weeks. I was thinking to built a platform to raise it.

wingman1961
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Glendale,Arizona
Full Name: Matt
Posts: 149
hope the size isn't a problem...from my phone.the big ones are 1/12.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Glendale,Arizona
Full Name: Matt
Posts: 149
try this again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid_820.jpg (43.9 KB, 222 views)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago/NYC
Full Name: Dan C.
Posts: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
try this again....
Is that the Detolf? Did you have to put the lights in or did it come with lights?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsleuth View Post
Is that the Detolf? Did you have to put the lights in or did it come with lights?
The lights are a seperate purchase. you can get a 2-pack from Ikea when buying those cases for about 15 bucks.

I have 1 of these cases. I have it in a downstairs room sitting empty at the moment. Not sure what to do with it right now as I want to build my office cabinets and incorporate the displays into what I build. I have about 125+ in my 1:18 collection, and I would like to have them spread out to be viewed a lot better.I don't like themto close together.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago/NYC
Full Name: Dan C.
Posts: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjw73 View Post
The lights are a seperate purchase. you can get a 2-pack from Ikea when buying those cases for about 15 bucks.

I have 1 of these cases. I have it in a downstairs room sitting empty at the moment. Not sure what to do with it right now as I want to build my office cabinets and incorporate the displays into what I build. I have about 125+ in my 1:18 collection, and I would like to have them spread out to be viewed a lot better.I don't like themto close together.
So you're saying it comes equipped with the socket but the bulbs are seperate. Okay, about how many 1:18 could you fit in one case if they were to be placed maybe 3 to 5 inches appart?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.