LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: john
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroBeaker View Post
Well, that's essentially what I was getting at earlier. It does look like it meets that basic need.

I still think there's a gap for a design version of a competitive activity holiday / boot camp, rather than semi-solitary study.

All the best,
Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
You're probably correct, but it's going to take someone other than myself to 'step up' to the challenge

more from Car Design Academy:http://cardesignacademy.com/magazine...gn_compe5.html

Last edited by jm2; 03-20-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati To Launch World's First Motor Vehicle University
this sounds like it's more engineering oriented

Federico Guerrini , CONTRIBUTOR
Some of the world's most famous luxury sports car brands have their headquarters in the center of Italy, in the Emilia-Romagna region.

Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati, to name just a few, were established and grew up there and, despite being known and sold worldwide, maintain deep roots in the territory.

No wonder, therefore that, in partnership with the Universities of Bologna, Ferrara, Modena&Reggio Emilia and Parma, and together with other big brands like Magneti Marelli, Toro Rosso, Dallara and Haas, they are launching a top educational hub to attract and train the best talents in the automotive engineering industry.

The Motorvehicle University of Emilia Romagna (MUNER), as it has been dubbed, will offer two master's degree programs, both open to international candidates.

Up to a maximum of 120 students will be selected each year for the course in Advanced Automotive Engineering focused on the design of sports and racing cars; taught subjects will range from advanced sports car manufacturing to high-performance car design.

Photo by: Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx

Skills acquired will be linked to the design and development of: combustion, hybrid and electric motor propellers, energy storage and conversion solutions and production systems tailored - through the use of robotics, advanced supply chain management and the analysis of the so-called "big data" - for new manufacturing 4.0 environment.

Just 30 students will be able to access the other course, in Advanced Electronic Engineering which will deal - you guessed! - with everything related to the electronic part of a vehicle. For geek and nerd candidates this field of study will likely be most appealing of the two, for its focus on information technology and connectivity, two key aspects of driverless cars, and of all future cars in general.

The teaching, which will be fully imparted in English, will include both a theoretical part and laboratory activities carried out in the universities and in the company labs of corporate partners, so that students may develop high-level professional skills, in the spirit of the “learning by doing” approach.

The mandatory internships will take place at the manufacturing partners’ facilities, while the dissertation activities, based on the “project work” format, will be carried out both inside academic and corporate research labs.

"This is a one-of-a-kind project in the national and international landscape; it confirms Emilia-Romagna not just as the European center of the new manufacturing, which is being reshaped globally by the cooperation of science, research and production, but also as a platform for advanced training with great added value,” the president of the Emilia-Romagna Region, Stefano Bonaccini, said in a statement.

Courses will start this fall, with the launch of the 2017-2018 academic year.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati To Launch World's First Motor Vehicle University
this sounds like it's more engineering oriented
Although not located in Emilia-Romagna, Pininfarina should be tasked with developing a course or minor in design.

I'm amazed that with all the changes in ownership and leadership Pininfarina have maintained the ability to produce beautiful, original and modern designs with a purity of forms unmatched by anybody.

Love the Fittipaldi EF7 displayed at Geneva:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pininfarina-Fittipaldi-at-Geneva-20179.jpg (52.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
For those of you with a passing interest in automotive aerodynamics, here's an excellent discussion of the basics of auto aero:
An article written by Sooshin Choi who was a former car designer in Korea, now Provost VP Academic Affairs,at College for Creative Studies, Detroit,MI.
Go to the profile of Sooshin Choi
Sooshin Choi
Design is Life, Life is Design
Mar 26
Wind and Automotive Design ó 1
This article was originally published on the September 1986 issue of Monthly Design, a major Korean design magazine.
It was a little over 30, so I modified and supplemented the article partially to fit todayís context. I hope this is helpful for those who design automobiles.

Original article written in Korean
When Carl Benz first invented automobile in 1886 and even when Henry Ford started mass production of automobile in 1908, the carmakers didnít seem to have been concerned about the impact of the wind. One of the proofs is that most of the car body was boxy, and windshield glass is usually vertical. As automobiles became faster and the stability of the car became a major issue, and when airplanes that cannot ignore the impact of wind emerged, aerodynamics became important in design and engineering of automobile automatically.
According toChuck Jordan, a former General Motors Vice President of Design, designing cars that meets not only aesthetic pleasing, but also more aerodynamic is a meaningful task only good designers can perform.

Mercedes Benz IAA Concept (2015) under wind tunnel test
The force of the air that affects a moving car is divided into three kinds ó drag (Cd ó Drag Coefficient), lift force (Cl ó Lift Coefficient), and side force (Cs ó Side Force Coefficient). Drag is basically the force that will prevent the car from moving forward. When aerodynamics is mentioned, it mostly refers drag because it directly affects the speed and fuel economy of a car. Lift is the force that lifts the car from the ground, and side force is simply the force pushing the car from the side.
The longitudinal direction of the car is called X axis, the axis that is horizontally to the ground and perpendicular to the X axis is the Y axis, and the axis perpendicular to the ground is the Z axis. And the force to rotate the car around the Y axis is a pitching moment (Cpm), a force that tries to rotate the car around the X axis is a rolling moment (Crm), and a force to rotate the car around the Z axis is a yawing moment (Cym). These moments and the aforementioned drag, lift, and side force are six impacts of wind to the vehicle.
Before dealing with the automotive aerodynamics, another thing to know about is the center of a car. There are two different kinds of centers in a car. One is the aerodynamic center and the other is the center of moments. The center of the moment is constant as long as the weight of the car remains unchanged, but the aerodynamic center varies from time to time depending not only on the shape of the body but also on the speed, direction, etc. of the wind.
1. Vortex
All objects are surrounded by air and the air around this object can be regarded as a thin film of air. As the object moves, the film of this air moves accordingly. As the speed increases, it gradually deforms, and if it exceeds a certain limit, it falls off the surface of the object. This is called a separation phenomenon or flow separation and the point where the separation occurs is called separation point.

Flow separation
The vortex occurs just behind the flow separation point. Vortices are a major cause of drag, especially in the front and rear corners of the roof panel, especially near the front end of the car body and cowl (where the engine hood and windshield glass meet).
2. Drag
The most influential force in the air that interferes with the movement of a car is drag. Of course, the drag also increases when the speed increases. However, depending on the style of the body, the drag can be significantly reduced. The drag of two objects moving at the same speed under the same atmospheric pressure is compared with the drag coefficient (Cd) of the object multiplied by the front projected area (A) of the object. Theoretically, the smaller drag is desirable. But it is not always the best to make it streamlined with less resistance because there are many other important considerations in automobile design such as passenger space, manufacturability, road conditions, cost, and many others. Reducing the air drag can improve gas mileage, increase the speed, secure the ride stability, reduce the wind noise, and prevent the wiper from floating.
The drag on a moving car can be classified into three types: pressure drag, friction drag, and induce drag. The largest part of this is the pressure drag, which is closely related to the generation of vortex. The pressure drag can significantly be reduced by streamlining the shape of the body.

Comparison of drag coefficients of a typical automobile and an aerodynamic concept car
3. Lift force
Lift helps airplanes to takes off from the ground, but lifts are rather disturbing in cars. In other words, when a vehicle experience force of air lifting it from ground, it loses friction with the ground and thus the driving stability is decreased, the gas mileage is worsened, and tire would wear more. While the lift required for takeoff of the airplane is positive (+) lift, negative (-) lift is beneficial for automobiles. The reason why the wing of the airplane can generate lift is because the shape of the upper part of the wing is convex, so the flow of air through the upper part is accelerated and make the air pressure there lower. According to Bernoulliís law, the wing moves towards where the air pressure is lower.
Since the shape of a typical automobile is generally similar to that of an airplane wing, the airflow above the automobile becomes faster than the bottom, and thus the lift force is generated. Racing cars are affected by this lift significantly as they are much lighter and faster than the typical cars. So air spoilers such as inverted airplane wings have been developed for race cars and used in performance automobiles too.

positive (+) lift and negative (-) lift
4. Side force
If there is no wind or the wind matches the direction of the moving automobile, there wonít be any side force. When the wind blows from the side, the effect of the wind is more serious than you might think. This lateral wind is closely related to the driving stability of the vehicle. When a car is moving, drag and lift arenít easy to feel. But if you drive on a windy day, you can easily feel that the car swings from side to side. In fact, when the vehicle is moving out of the tunnel, it may be shaken or even overturned due to a strong side wind. In the case of vans with a high center of gravity and flatter side shape, the impact of side wind is not ignorable.
It is important to know how to reduce the influence of the transverse wind by making body ideally reacts to the side force. It is also considered to widen the tread (distance between the centers of the left and right tires) or lowering the height of the vehicle in order to fight against the side force.
Note: Some of the illustrations are from the Aerodynamics special issue of Car Styling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0*rKHZ2my2eW8jIaA7..jpg (41.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg 1*dAi5mPIOVhN9rs9r1XVDsw.jpeg (22.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg 1*HGp5WMEu4rEmwnqGN8zdTA.jpeg (43.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg 0*KcjIblvaFvdlEBPv..jpeg (44.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2-effects-of-wind.jpg (102.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Four Rotor Corvette politics vs. Two Rotor

On My Car Quest.com tomorrow. My feeling is that Chuck Jordan hated the Two Rotor and was able to get the Four Rotor approved though it didn't really have a four rotor engine. I think Mitchell was also on the Four Rotor bandwagon but the insiders back then at GM Design will know and hopefully enlighten us...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzman View Post
On My Car Quest.com tomorrow. My feeling is that Chuck Jordan hated the Two Rotor and was able to get the Four Rotor approved though it didn't really have a four rotor engine. I think Mitchell was also on the Four Rotor bandwagon but the insiders back then at GM Design will know and hopefully enlighten us...
the 2 Rotor was too small for Mitchell & he didn't like the design.Said it wasn't a Corvette.
The 4 Rotor was all Mitchell. His & his alone regardless of what anyone tells you. He directed the design from top to bottom, front to rear.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Bill Kistner
Quote:
the 2 Rotor was too small for Mitchell & he didn't like the design.Said it wasn't a Corvette.
The 4 Rotor was all Mitchell. His & his alone regardless of what anyone tells you. He directed the design from top to bottom, front to rear.
The 4 Rotor is the car that became the Aerovette, correct?
"The right to self defense is fundamental to a free state. If, by dictate of the state, it is unlawful to defend your own person, you are not a citizen nor even a subject; you are property." -Bill Kistner
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protouring442 View Post
The 4 Rotor is the car that became the Aerovette, correct?
yes, the Wankel program went 'south' during the energy crisis, so they put a V8 in it!
No problemo...
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
car sketching contest!
Car Design Academy : A NEW INSTAGRAM CONTEST 2017! Vol.1 Car Design Academy has launched the #cardesignacademy_competition, Instagram-based car sketch competition, making it the great place to learn, a great opportunity to meet the people who share their passion about car design! The contest also aims to seek out burgeoning car design talent and young designers of the future. Please check the following contest details and join for your chance to win our amazing special lesson program, Car Designer Starters Pack (worth $300)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4d0bb583e050d27d811e9dafcde37561.jpg (126.8 KB, 19 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: James
Cool ID please?

Can anyone ID this one-off shown at Chantilly Arts & elegance last year?
BMW? grille....

anyone?

bueller?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CHANTILLY.jpeg (224.5 KB, 12 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Can anyone ID this one-off shown at Chantilly Arts & elegance last year?
BMW? grille....

anyone?

bueller?

BMW concept car, can't recall the name at the moment...2006 Mille Miglia.
Looking Back At BMW's Villa D?Este Concepts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006.jpg (60.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2006_2.jpg (45.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by jm2; Yesterday at 09:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: James
Cool Awesome!

Quote:
BMW concept car, can't recall the name at the moment...2006 Mille Miglia.
Looking Back At BMW's Villa D?Este Concepts
Thank you.
I like the asymmetry across the roofline!
(and 2006; it's nearly an antique by now......)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old Today, 05:31 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Thank you.
I like the asymmetry across the roofline!
(and 2006; it's nearly an antique by now......)
a little too retro for my taste......Steam Punk meets BMW Design