car design thread | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #1 jm2, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    shahidul likes this.
  2. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    john:
    this is cool.
    but it pales in comparison to cadillac's design!:D

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    they definitely have their work cut out for them
    but i give them credit for going "all in" to reestablish the brand after all this time
    we'll see if they can pull it off

a year ago,my class did a Lincoln sponsored project........most of the foreign students had no clue about Lincoln cars or the brand
    it was a struggle for some :)

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Great idea, to keep some designers employed for a couple more years.....

IMHO, Mullaly's first big mistake. This will not end well. Should have kept the focus on the rest of the brand [FORD] and written this off. Lincolns buyers have died for chrissake!
    The current package has absolutely nothing going for it. (I did a test drive at an event; BORING.) Were I a shareholder, I would be emailing the Investor Relations. Sad.

Anyone else think this will be a success?

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    As I said,if they're serious,and i believe they are,it will take at least 10 yrs to make something like this happen.Maybe Mullaly's successor will decide to pull the plug.Who knows.

Will they pull it off..........I wouldn't bet my money that they will.Way too much competition,total lack of any brand recognition & awareness.Mediocre products,etc.

But anything is possible with the right products.Audi certainly came back from the dead after the infamous "unintended acceleration" fiasco in the '80's.This will take a long time playing out,IMO.

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #6 JeremyJon, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    absolutely georgeous car
    breaks most of the "traditional" accepted surfacing tenet's
    I do prefer it in it's original red however :)

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Agree with that; though I would argue that Audi had/has a much stronger focus on engineering, which drives their overall product design, and which Lincoln appears to lack (rebadged something or other..). I'm sure Ford could do the same if there was good reason.

9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #9 JeremyJon, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

it seems lincoln has tried several times over the last 10 years (or so), but not a 100% effort IMO ...they can't re-establish a brand on a single model, and they won't if they dont follow-through

the audi comparison is a bit like the bmw-caddy example in the other thread IMO

i think lincoln has a great style they could draw from, different from current caddies, but we'll see?

as for the effort, and need for more "style" i say "bravo" ;) :D ha,ha
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    My take is that FoMoCo has horrible tendencies to introduce a model then let in languish until they get around to replacing it. Effectively no effort to develop it through the cycle which then means that it is seriously irrelevant by the time its replacement comes to market.

FoMoCo has a history of believing that trim and end caps are enough to differentiate their cars. There really is nothing particularly wrong about good use of the parts bin but they need to be differentiated. Then with the Lincoln they really need to make sure that it is not just a trimmed up Ford for the price spread.

FoMoCo may think they are committed but the proof will be the product funding and if anyone with the power to make approvals will take risks or make all the easy compromises.

Does Ford even have someone with a Lutz like appreciation of product and conviction? Lutz left Ford once because the answer was they did not want anyone of that sort.

What is the take on Mark Fields? Does he have conviction for product? It matters since he is the odds on favorite to succeed Mulally.

Jeff

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    all good points Jeff
    Mr. Fields is indeed the heir apparent,but i'm not really sure about his product savvy
    Ford does have some people in high positions that are real product guys/gals
    next gen Mustang is supposed to be a real departure for them design wise & mechanically

the big question as we've said is are they truly committed? that kind of consistent,unwavering focus on the product for 10-15 years is the only true answer
    will they have that?
    we'll watch as it plays out
    Acura hasn't given up......but I think they're DOA for the most part
    that segment of the market is brutal with the Germans & Lexus in control
    stay tuned

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the car looks good too :D

13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Consistent with pushing forward. Have one really good winner and trying to recycle it because the people in charge didn't understand why it "worked" the first time is a recipe for demise.

Lots of stories from multiple sources that throughout Henry II all that mattered was counting the beans and no product leadership was the entire game plan. Every once in a while they got lucky in spite of themselves. The second axiom of Ford was that one's political closeness to a Ford family member was way more important than anything else. Ford was known that their internal political battles were a blood sport. Don't know if Mulally's tenure has managed to stop all of that or not.

The press report of the new Lincoln Design Center is typical PR crap. The 4 walls of the building never has or will create anything. It is the talent inside and leadership provided. Great work can come out a lousy building and the greatest Taj Mahal will not compensate for mediocrity.

Jeff

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1 on the talent thought
    My line has always been,you don't need to be in California or insert your creative nirvana here,to be creative.You can be just as creative in Toledo as anywhere else.My contacts in Wolfsburg Germany say it ain't exactly heaven living there,but they are managing to put out some good stuff.

But yes,it's always about leadership.
    Simple,but not easy to do.

I was at Ford at the beginning of my career during the HF2 & Iacocca years,and yes it was quite the political jungle,even at the Design Center.

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Communicate with Ex Jr. and he could have gone to GM or Ford and went to Ford. Seemed to be disgusted how Design functioned with the politics and the worst of design by committee creating camels. Too bad his father really got corporately screwed. May have sometimes marched to a different drummer but was intent to lead his own way forward.

Jeff

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The thing that struck me most at the time,was how they would park a GM product in the studio near the clay Fords/Lincolns/Mercurys in the rails.All the talent they had & that was the best they could do?

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Seemingly it comes down to from the top of FoMoCo it was less risky to copy GM and be a follower than it was to try to find their own way. Rooms full of talent that were used to make the best alternative iteration of a GM design. Teter said one time that the basic cross section was handed to design at the start of the program.

Of course what should one expect from those times. A Mercury was nothing but a Ford model with somewhat different caps and different chrome moldings. Terter said the corporate mentality is that the public would never see that there was no sheetmetal difference; "they" would perceive it being a really different design. Ford had unmitigated "sameness" way before Ribycki and his keepers forced that path upon GM.

Of course when Iacocca joined Sperlich at ChryCo he did the same there with even fewer changes.

Jeff

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    thank goodness they're still using clay for the design process:

Design » Lincoln
    Clay helps bring Lincoln models to life
    Tried-and-true tool has a place in brand's new design studio

Bradford Wernle
    Automotive News -- October 29, 2012 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- When Ford Motor Co. created the 1964 Mustang, designers used 60 clay models in the process of perfecting the first generation of the now iconic pony car.

Five decades later, designers needed just four clay models to create the production version of the 2013 Lincoln MKZ, according to Al Biggs, a design modeling manager at a new design studio dedicated to the Lincoln brand in Dearborn, Mich.

That was four more than some in the industry might have expected. There was a time in the not-too-distant past when automotive designers such as Biggs believed the clay model was bound for extinction, made obsolete by computer-aided design tools.

"We thought digital was going to replace clay" completely, Biggs said during an open house for the new Lincoln studio in Ford's sprawling product development complex. "Then we realized that digital was part of the toolbox," but not all of it. "A lot of areas are difficult to interpret digitally."

Areas such as the angle where the A-pillar, the car's fender and the front of the door come together are difficult to visualize on a computer screen, no matter how good the digital image, Biggs said. Those three-dimensional elements look even more realistic after modelers apply Di-Noc, a sheer carbon fiber film that fits over the clay as tightly as skin.

Biggs, a 35-year studio veteran, can remember when designers used as much as 10,000 pounds of clay to sculpt a single model. Today, a lot less clay is required.

Designers start with computer-generated or manual drawings of a car. They build from there applying the clay to an armature, a wooden or steel structure underneath. Then a computerized milling machine sculpts the surface, and modelers work the fine details using hand tools.

Lincoln now has 150 designers and design support staffers working at the new studio. Outsiders rarely get a glimpse behind the doors of automakers' design studios, where future products take shape in closely guarded secrecy.

Lincoln took the unusual step of opening the studio to journalists as part of a campaign to show that Ford is committed to the struggling brand. But the open house coincided with the reassignment of C.J. O'Donnell, Lincoln's marketing chief.

Lincoln has its own engineers and marketers. But for design, "this is the first dedicated space for Lincoln since the '70s," said Raj Nair, Ford product development chief.

Lincoln executives are keen to convince the world that future Lincoln vehicles will not be upscale versions of Fords, a criticism that has often been leveled at Lincoln in the past.

J Mays, Ford Motor Co.'s global design chief, said the staffers will be dedicated solely to Lincoln and will not work on Ford-brand vehicles.

"We learned our lesson long ago. If you can't get somebody's head around a brand on a daily basis," elements of sibling brands will start to creep into the designs, he said.

During a tour of the studio, Lincoln designers showed one of the clay models used in the development of the 2013 MKZ along with a fiberglass mockup used to simulate paint and surfaces. That MKZ, due to go on sale in November, is the first of a generation of Lincolns designed to lure a new, younger generation of customers. A compact crossover, possibly called the MKC, is due for the 2014 model year along with a redesigned MKS sedan.

Lincoln has promised it will introduce four all-new or revamped vehicles in the next four years.

Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas and the man many believe will eventually succeed Alan Mulally as Ford CEO, dropped by the studio open house.

Fields said Ford executives know Lincoln must be distinct and upscale, which is why the brand needs its own design studio.

"We really understand that a luxury brand is essential for us to be a global and successful enterprise," Fields said. "There's not a single full-line successful global line maker that does not have a successful, vibrant and relevant luxury brand."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20121029/OEM03/310299985#ixzz2AjNUENUx

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Not mentioning by name, but that is is a reference to somebody who is family. He tells the story a little bit longer than a sentence. Nobody really had thought about what it took to make a car from design to production. George mapped it out quite exquisitely and intensely. I'd bet some of the resistance was that he was from the Science labs; not directly involved with building the cars.

21. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    great interview, john.
    bill mitchell was a design legend.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes he was
    talk about a wild & crazy guy to work for..............:D

23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    How much more was there to your interview? The intro says that it was edited and paraphrased.

He did not stay long at GM yet seemingly someone who was selected to work on special Mitchell projects must have some liklihood for longevity.

Jeff

24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    it is in 2 or 3 parts I believe
    the interview lasted @ 1 hr at the Heritage Center
    yes,Roy's career was indeed short,but he was talented & lucky enough to have worked on some pretty cool projects & with the best of the best

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    By whose choice? There was a tendency for moving up or getting moved out. There were also cases of getting crosswise with certain people and getting out on your own was the right action.

Jeff